Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 4:19pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Non starting issue. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Non starting issue.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Non starting issue.  (Read 290 times)
Ryan_Williams

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Non starting issue.
« on: Sep 13th, 2023, 11:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all.

Last weekend we went to where we store our 2.0 Ultima Scorpio, with the intention of putting a battery on it, a few gallons of fuel in the tank, and firing it up to probably put it back on the road for next month.
It's been off the road for around 2 and a half years now, and was last started/driven probably 18 months ago, but we weren't expecting any issues as they always start up first time normally.

When we first turned the key to start it, I'm fairly certain I heard the fuel pump prime, and it did start when I tried it, but stalled after about 2-3 seconds. After that, trying to start resulted in the occasional second or two of running, but nothing more, and we never heard the fuel pump running again.
We checked any fuses that the book said were related to the pump, and gave the relay a tap, but to no avail.
We also tried pouring a little bit of fuel into the intake, and the car started and ran perfectly for a few seconds.

My question is, what's the easiest way to check the fuel pump, and is there anything we may have missed that could cause this?
IP Logged
Torbayboy

View Profile

Re: Non starting issue.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14th, 2023, 8:23am »

I'm not as wise as many on here, but listen for the whirl of the fuel pump, make sure the cut off switch is correct in the boot and add or replace with fresh fuel.
 Had similar to this on "PJ" and it was the fuel pump, got one off ebay for not a lot and the car ran well until sold.
 Assuming no codes flashing from the pats light, but as it turns over and fires probably OK, again all details on here.
 Good luck and hope it clears for you, be nice to see another on the road as they're running out now!!

R  Smiley
IP Logged

Cosworth Scorpio only 46 on the road now NOW down to 42.
Ryan_Williams

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Sep 14th, 2023, 10:57pm »

Hi, thanks for replying.
We checked the cut off switch, which appears to be fine, and we did also put 10 litres of fresh BP Ultimate in the tank.
I did have a look at the PATS light, and it wasn't flashing, so that seems to be fine. I also expect that the PATS would either cut the spark, or not allow the engine to turn at all.

We will hopefully be able to go back for another look on Saturday. We've got a spare fuel pump relay to try, but I can't see that being at fault really.
I think it's probably the pump, which is a pain as we'll have to pay to get the car trailered home to change it.
Just strange how it did prime the first time we turned the key.

It's ages since I last saw a Scorpio actually. There is two in my local area (other than our two) that I used to see occasionally, but haven't seen for a couple of years. However, the Gov.uk site says they're still taxed and MOT'd.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Sep 19th, 2023, 10:42am »

I had similar, changed relay no difference so tried hot wiring the pump and it ran fine. Started the car OK & drove it off the road onto my drive. Reconnected pump and car started and ran fine.
Next day fired and stopped, hot wired pump etc etc.
Car's still on the naughty step, haven't got to the bottom of the problem yet, other than ruling out the pump.

If you want to try wiring the pump direct there's a connector in the boot. On the estate it's on the drivers side under the steel panel at the back, I had to prise up the polystyrene tool tray to get to it.
On the saloon I think it's probably under the plastic panel of the boot ledge.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Sep 19th, 2023, 11:51am »

Umm, try checking the Radiator fans. I think there are two, maybe three fuses, linked to the Cooling fans and whilst your car has been standing for a while a bit of corrosion may have built up on the connections, also on the connecting plugs.  Give them all a good clean with electric contact cleaning fluid and give them a wiggle when re connecting them.  I had an issue with my Cossie (Ruby) and realised that she does not like the Cooling fans being inoperative.
Best regards
Mike  Smiley
IP Logged
Ryan_Williams

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Sep 24th, 2023, 11:23am »

Thank you for the suggestions Tompion and Mike.
Went back to the car yesterday, but haven't been able to get it going.
We will have to get it trailered home and then drop the fuel tank out to have a look at the pump.
It will hopefully be back on the road at some point next month!
IP Logged
Ryan_Williams

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Oct 3rd, 2023, 10:50pm »

All sorted
New fuel pump fitted and the car is running fine again.
MOT tomorrow afternoon and we can't see any obvious issues, but we took the car out for a quick run tonight, and the ABS light comes on shortly after you set off. Hopefully just some dirt in a sensor that can clear itself on the way, but we'll see....
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.