Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 6:18pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Powertrain Control Module (PCM) C402 pins »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Powertrain Control Module (PCM) C402 pins
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Powertrain Control Module (PCM) C402 pins  (Read 298 times)
brds

View Profile Email

Powertrain Control Module (PCM) C402 pins
« on: Feb 27th, 2024, 5:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Over many previous years, I've rewired the engine and gearbox looms from the top half of their respective connectors C110 and C112. I'm now having to rewire the main loom from the lower halves of C110 & C112 to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) behind the glove-box. I'd like to use new pins on its connector C402 rather than soldering onto stubs of the old wiring.
In July 2022, Scorpio_Dan advised on the two engine bay connector pins but can anybody advise on the tool and pins needed for C402 and how to get the connector pins out?
regards, Bob
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: Powertrain Control Module (PCM) C402 pins
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28th, 2024, 3:19pm »

The pins come out fairly easily, prise out the red locking strip along the face of the plug - I used a watchmakers screwdriver and worked along a bit at a time.
Having removed that you can see the latches, you can ease a small screwdriver behind it and pull the pin out using its the wire. If it doesn't pull out easily it's likely the crimp catching on the back of the hole - wiggle it about a bit.
Probably better to use a short thin strip of shim with the end chamfered - just easier than holding a screwdriver in place whilst trying to wiggle out a snagging crimp.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
brds

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 28th, 2024, 5:47pm »

OK many thanks Tompion. I didn't know that the red face was removable, it came out easily. Awkward to see the latches but I got the first pin out so now feel I'm making progress and almost know what I'm looking for but do you know the part number & a supplier as I can only find male pins on eBay and The Tool Academy.
IP Logged
Scorpio_Dan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Feb 29th, 2024, 7:13am »

https://www.connect-consumables.co.uk/product/37686/Assorted-Non-Insulat ed-Terminals-for-Ford-700pc
IP Logged
Scorpio_Dan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Feb 29th, 2024, 7:15am »

Try this site, they do a kit.  
I can't remember what the female connector sockets look like.  

37489 look promisingHuh
IP Logged
brds

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 29th, 2024, 1:28pm »

Thanks for the pointer. The female connector does look like part No. 37489 but they are overall length 28.12mm x width 3.08mm. The part I need for C402 is smaller with overall length 24.5mm x width about 2.4mm. The length may not matter but the width certainly would.
I may have to go ahead with soldering onto the stubs but I can now at least pull some out to make life easier.
IP Logged
cobrascim

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Mar 1st, 2024, 9:35am »

I had a wee hunt around internet also and folks seemed to be able to get the EEC-IV pins but not the EEC-V (and that was back 15 years ago). You would've thought they would be the same. There certainly seems to be a lot more availability of wiring stuff in the US. Will keep my eye out for info anyway, I might need it myself in the future.
IP Logged
cobrascim

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 18th, 2024, 1:48pm »

on Feb 29th, 2024, 7:15am, Scorpio_Dan wrote:
Try this site, they do a kit.  
I can't remember what the female connector sockets look like.  

37489 look promisingHuh

Hi Dan,
I presume the female connector 37489 is for the use in the bottom part of the plugs C110/C112? I'm thinking about now redoing the loom from the bottom of these plugs for main loom into the car. I have rewired the top halves to engine and gearbox using male pins 37488 as advised before hence I'm presuming next number up is the correct female for this pin in that plug.
Would they use the same pin in ecu loom plug? Probably need one  smaller?
John.
IP Logged
brds

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 18th, 2024, 4:57pm »

The female connector pins for C402 do look like part No. 37489 but they are overall length 28.12mm x width 3.08mm. The part needed for C402 is smaller with overall length 24.5mm x width about 2.4mm. The length may not matter but the width certainly would.
This is definitely not a job for the faint-hearted. It's taken me 3 weeks but I've now almost finished remaking the main loom from C402 to C110 & C112 plus several minor looms for other sensors & solenoids in the engine bay.
I couldn't find any female pins for C402 so I've done it by soldering onto the stubs at C402 and the various connectors at other end.
About 20 of the wires in C402 go to interior wiring. I cut them because it was a complete rats nest and will have to splice them back in but with patience you could slip the pins out.
About another 20 wires in the engine bay loom don't terminate in C402 but go direct to interior wiring so I cut them and will have to splice them as well.  
It's cost me £230 for the wire in order to keep the colours and thicknesses correct.
I definitely couldn't do it without the wiring diagrams and it's really an indoor job where you need lots of space to lay it out on a peg-board.
It's definitely a labour of love. A 'Proper Man' would cost £K thousands.
Bob.
IP Logged
cobrascim

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Mar 19th, 2024, 9:30am »

Hi Bob, that is exactly the job I need to do which should make the car reliable until the tin worm eventually kills the whole car many, many years from now. I priced up the proper wire colours when doing the engine and gearbox looms but instead opted for using a lot of white which I had and making labels at each end detailing original colours. No where near as good as what you are doing but will still be effective. I have a full spare loom in a box that I'm going to go lay out in garage which will hopefully make it easier to do this.
Presuming you are using 37489 pins in the bottom halves of the muiltiplugs C110 and C112?
John.
IP Logged
brds

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 19th, 2024, 10:44am »

I didn't use new pins in C110 & C112 but soldered them as well as all the other connectors to the subsidiary looms. Having a spare loom and using new pins for C110 & C112 will be neater and hopefully save you some time.
At the C402 end, I pulled the pins to make them easier to solder and then labelled them ready to be put back in later.
I've kept the colours as near as possible but for most of them the thickness has increased due to availability.
For the 0.75mm wires I used 1mm.
For two 1.5mm wires to the A/C clutch and injectors I used 2mm.
For the screened wires to the EDIS I used 0.75mm Grey cable that is recommended for CNC projects as the alternative black cable was on a long lead time from China. It felt a bit soft so I put it in black plastic 10mm sheathing for extra protection.
The old 4mm fan wires were a definite fire hazard. I used 4mm wire but had to compromise on the colours.
It was quite difficult getting the C402 end of the loom out, even after removing the glovebox. It would be easier if you had the dashboard out for some reason such as changing the heater matrix as I did years ago. I didn't fancy taking it out again so I cut the tray holding the ECU in order to get better access to the wires going direct to interior wiring that had to be cut.
Its all a twisted mess under there and includes two shorting bar connectors that I've eliminated with simple joints.
IP Logged
cobrascim

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Mar 19th, 2024, 11:49am »

Sounds like you are doing it as properly as it can be done mate - brilliant job. It will solve sooo many problems. I think that I will be doing the same soon and may take dash out to do it. Glove box is out just now along with bottom half of drivers side. Now I have just gone oh oh! As I was only gonna try and find the rev counter black/white and look at fuel gauge and temp gauge as both go to half way and dont read properly just now. Now thinking to run it just now while fixing my Granvia camper then back onto Scorpio for a right good strip out of engine bay loom and full repair/replacement. I have just ordered 2 packs of the 37489 for the bottom part of the plugs.
Hope you have many years of fault free running but we know that doesnt happen.... Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.