Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 6:16pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Write off's »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Insurance Matters/Advice
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Write off's
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Write off's  (Read 12623 times)
SteveO

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Write off's
« on: Dec 21st, 2010, 8:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Last night my better half skidded on black ice and smashed the front bumper, lights, oil cooler and now there's no drive in the auto box. I'm assuming that it will be a write off but have no idea of what a realistic value is.

I've looked on Ebay and Autotrader for a similar spec' but found none.

It's 2.5 TD Ghia X Auto Estate with 16" Alloys. There are plenty of 2.3 auto estates but I don't know if they can be compared.

Any advice on how to value it would be appreciated as would your thoughts on whether I should go via insurance or just buy second hand and repair myself.

Many thanks,

SteveO  Cry
IP Logged
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

Re: Write off's
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21st, 2010, 9:22pm »

No drive in the Auto-Box is probably because of the oil loss out of the auto-box radiator.   I would look very carefully at the damage, and maybe put pictures up on this site, there are very many people on here that would be able to give PERFECT advise as to your next move.   Don't be hasty, if you like the car it might repair with only a very slight cost compared to what you may be thinking.   Also, remember it's a busy time for people just now, be patient waiting for answers.   Meanwhile go out and take good clear photo's of the damage, and go-on to somewhere like 'Photobucket' and post the pics there, then look up the 'How-to-do-things' section in here and post the pics up.   Little can be said about description, pictures paint a thousand words etc.

hth

Peter
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 21st, 2010, 10:36pm »

Steve, I did the same three weeks ago and decided that to tell the insurance company was a no go as they would write the car off! Do as Peter said and evaluate the full damage , pictures are perfect. The parts will be quite accessible if your up to the job and the advice from here will be invaluable. I am in the process of doing the same.   Lee
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 21st, 2010, 11:00pm »

SteveO.
The insurers will not be able to value your car realistically,and would almost certainly make you a derisory offer insufficient for you to pay for a decent replacement,we know that an on the road Scorpio in varying order is worth what someone will pay for it,vis £450 to £1200 currently.As PJD and Lee have said,you will gain a lot more satisfaction from getting bits and advice from here,and if you are handy with the spanner and maybe have a good friend to assist you,then it's by far the least annoying route to take.Getting involved with insurers can only lead to serious aggravation because they are really not interested in your plight,irrespective of how long you may have been a loyal accident free client,in their eyes you have made a claim you swine,and by gad they'll penalise you for it  Angry
   Good luck
    GOZZ.
IP Logged
SteveO

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 22nd, 2010, 10:27am »

Thanks for the advice gents. I'm in the process of getting recovery quotes as it's 40 miles from home and I dont have anything I can tow it with myself - she was always the family 'recovery' vehicle.

I took a couple for posterity yesterday thinking it would be written off.

A bumper from Steve in Upminster is £200, headlight for £45 ish plus indicator/fog lenses and holders will probably push the bodywork parts to £300-400 not including any re-spraying. I am hoping the hydraulics is just a matter of hoses split or torn off. Not sure of the availability of spares for these.

IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 22nd, 2010, 10:49am »

Hi Steve,  

That doesnt look too bad, actually it looks like a very light impact, they always appear worse than they actually are Wink

From the pics it looks like the bonnet/grille and wings are undamaged?

Personally I wouldnt even consider paying £200 for a bumper.

The guys on the forum will be able to come up with the parts you need for a fraction of the price. (I have one spare NS Facelift headlight) Wink

You will definitely need an autobox oil cooler though Wink I have that too

It looks a nice car and well worth repairing, if you can do it yourself.

P.S. Scorpios arent for Girls! Wink
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Dec 22nd, 2010, 11:09am »

That looks easily fixable - everything at the front is just a spanner or screw driver - no special tools needed or even ramps.  The oil cooler/auto cooler will be easy to replace especially with no bumper!

I concur with Highlander - £300/400 should get it driveable - which is probably the same as your excess/insurance loading if you were to make a claim.  Bear in mind, if you make a claim you'll (or the wife) will have to tick that "yes, I've had an accident" for the next five years everytime you search for insurance.  £50 per year premium increase / £250 over 5 years.

Front bumpers are around £50/100 to spray - especially if you take it to a body shop "off the car".
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 22nd, 2010, 11:14am »

And just for some encouragement, this one made it back onto the road with a fair bit more damage than yours has Wink

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=disp lay;num=1134806945;start=0
IP Logged

SteveO

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 22nd, 2010, 12:54pm »

Thanks for the advice guys.

I've been quoted £200 for recovery to my place - AA isn't free if it's an accident. Trying to get that cheaper if I can or use a solid towbar if I can find a friend with a heavy enough car to take the Scoprio weight!

I'll post a request on the parts wanted section of the forum and see what comes in over the next few days.  

I'm in South Wales so maybe postage will have to be considered - I would collect if possible but my 'other' car is a TVR-S and not so good for carrying body panels!

Thanks again,

SteveO
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 22nd, 2010, 1:24pm »

Whereabouts in South Wales Steve?

try sticking an ad on www.shiply.com for recovery,  
explain its a lightly accident damaged auto which cant be driven but can be moved around on its wheels for winching onto a trailer/recovery vehicle.

I reckon someone will do it for well under £100 Wink
IP Logged

SteveO

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 22nd, 2010, 2:45pm »

Thanks for the info. I tried all the local firms and they are busy 24x7 with stuck/abandoned cars in the snow down here. I didn't fancy leaving it on the side of the road until after Boxing day so I've got a pickup from a local one man band recovery service for tomorrow 10am. £110, but at least I'll have it back and can start work asap.

Will post details of parts required when I've had a closer look.

Cheers,

SteveO
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 22nd, 2010, 4:44pm »

SteveO.
You could join the two pipes from the secondary oil cooler together,fill the box up with ATF and carry on as normal with the rad cooler being amply sufficient certainly until the spring,and permanently if you don't tow with the car.Remember that the transmission will need oil just to tow it 40 miles.There is virtually no pressure in the cooler system so a simple U bent tube would do with a couple of hose clips.
      GOZZ.
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 22nd, 2010, 5:27pm »

on Dec 22nd, 2010, 11:14am, Highlander wrote:
And just for some encouragement, this one made it back onto the road with a fair bit more damage than yours has Wink

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=disp lay;num=1134806945;start=0

Sad
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 22nd, 2010, 5:42pm »

Ya big sap!  Grin
IP Logged

Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 22nd, 2010, 6:57pm »

Deffo looks like you got off rather lightly, as already said it all bolt on stuff, oil coolers are the same on all autos (well that ive seen anyway) and you could get a preface lift front bumper just to patch it up easily and cheap!

has the rad under the near side wing been damaged? that could be a hard one to find as its only the TD autos that have that
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
SteveO

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 22nd, 2010, 7:40pm »

It's being collected on a trailer tomorrow so no worries about the transmission. I should get a full list of the damage from the garage by Friday morning; then I'll post a list up on the Wanted page and see what happens.

Does anyone know the 'name' of the colour? I have the paint code but don't know what it's called!

Steve
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Dec 22nd, 2010, 7:45pm »

What is the paint code ?

Looks like Cuirass to me  Wink
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Dec 22nd, 2010, 8:35pm »

Have a read of This page and click on the link to see all paint colours and codes.  Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
5stud

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Dec 23rd, 2010, 10:53am »

are all facelift tds auto ??.it must have cost ford a fourtune per car in converting to fly by wire and auto.if thear are man ones are they also fly by wire ??.
IP Logged
SteveO

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Dec 24th, 2010, 3:07pm »

I have just got a list from the garage of parts to be replaced. Mainly bodywork and cooling stuff to the front and side of the radiator. It's posted on the Parts Wanted pages.

Many thanks for everyone's help/advice - hopefully I'll be back on the road early in the new year.

Merry Christmas all,

SteveO
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.