Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 4:27pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Mileage element. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Insurance Matters/Advice
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Mileage element.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Mileage element.  (Read 1591 times)
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Mileage element.
« on: Apr 4th, 2014, 5:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Having just received the renewal quote for my 2.0ltr estate at £300+ I decided to question it, as I did recently with my wife's car. In both cases the mileage element was a major factor in obtaining a reduction. In my case it was 'set' at 12000 whereas I actually only do about 5000. Result....a reduction of nearly £80!. If you think about it I was actually reducing the risk by nearly 50%. I am with a good company and a good broker so I have no wish to trawl further but that is a significant drop. Might be worth a check for anyone in future.  Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

Re: Mileage element.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 4th, 2014, 9:48am »

You'll soon be into the £90 classic limited mileage bracket Mike.My fire engine is £100 and the P4 Rover is £80.I have noticed of late that Scorpios are starting to appear for sale in the classic car papers.
IP Logged
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Apr 4th, 2014, 6:32pm »

Yeah same - I only did 1800 miles last year.  I always have mileage on my insurance set to 4000 miles (even the westfield which did a grand total of 68 miles!).  I find there is only a few quid between 4000 miles, 3000 miles and 2000 miles for insurance purposes 4k miles seems to be the sweet spot.
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 7th, 2014, 2:27am »

Mike, would you mind if I asked which insurance company that is from? Smiley

For a few years now I've had Cinderella (my XJ) on a modern classic policy for low mileage (<5k) etc. and the price was pretty good, something like £150/yr, fully comp, no problems. Now they've more than doubled the renewal, apparently they've had to 're-negotiate with a different company because that company couldn't insure me anymore', but I've never in my life claimed on any insurance policy so I don't get where they're coming from.

A mate of mine told me the same thing, to lower mileage to get a lower quote, but it doesn't make any difference below 5k or so for me, so I'm guessing it's maybe an age or area of residence thing? Cinders' only did about 400 miles last year, yet although I know by logic that should make the insurance cost less, it doesn't work for me Undecided

Insurance quotes never make any sense to me, I think I've mentioned before but the insurance on my XKR costs me £50 less than the same policy did on my old MG ZT Turbo that it replaced - I'm not complaining about that, £600/yr is enough considering I've not claimed in 10 years, but how can a 450bhp car cost less to insure than a 160bhp car that cost me waaay less to buy in the first place?

Of course, at least we have regulators and commissions and watchdogs to make sure things run fairly for us in this country Roll Eyes

Je ne comprendé Grin

Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 7th, 2014, 7:01am »

Bruce, you have a PM. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.