Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 8:25pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« handbrake cable »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   How to do things!
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   handbrake cable
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: handbrake cable  (Read 2567 times)
bigfrank

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

handbrake cable
« on: Oct 21st, 2010, 7:54am »

handbrake cable how hard are they to replace
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: handbrake cable
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21st, 2010, 11:56am »

The details are in the relevant section on This page. I have left the 'index' up as you may find the other sections helpful. I have not  done one but I think the main problem is access to the 'yoke' which can be awkward. Where the heavy protective sheathing carries the cable through the chassis there is a clip which needs to be released to allow you to slacken the cable. This is necessary if you are trying to release the cable from the caliper arm as otherwise there is not enough slack to enable the eye of the cable to be removed.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Stixy

I should know better

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Oct 21st, 2010, 1:48pm »

I have just done one of these Smiley on a 16v

raise the rear end up as high as you can and support the car well

undo the exhaust from the front  pipe and unhook the rest of the system and move it out the way

spray wd40 or similar onto the hexagon clips wich hold on the heat sheilds  

remove the rear then the front heatsheilds  

look above the propshaft and you will see the "yoke" there will be a spring clip holding the pin in place remove the clip then knock the pin up and out  . and put somwhere safe Wink

Look at the handbrake cable the non adjuster side where it passes through a bracket on the floor there is a spring clip type retainer unclip it and put it somwhere safe  

At the calipers unhook the cable from the handbrake actuators  then look where the outer cable passes through the caliper there will be another spring clip retainer 1 each side  

Pull the cable out of the calipers and feed it through the holes in the rear crossmember then unhook the adjuster  and the whole should come off from the car  

to refit start at the yoke fit the pin and spring clip and pass one side  of the cable over the propshaft  

then slide the adjuster into the bracket on the floor but wind the adjuster fully off first  

then slide the other cable into the other bracket on the floor and fit the springclip

then slide the cables through the holes in the rear crossmember  
( some aftermarket cables have a protective outer cover that insulates it from the crosmember  but it can be too big to pass through the holes so what i do is use a large cable tie a tie wrap the cable to the crosmember tthrough the holes )

then feed the cable to the calipers acros the swingarms and reconnect to the calipers  

then adjust the cable to give the correct handbrake lever travel  

then refit the sheilds and exhaust system  

IP Logged
bigfrank

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 25th, 2010, 8:42am »

thanks for info .got car up as hight as i can but being on the large size it to much of a job for me. so of to the garage  on Saturday to have it done by a pro for £45 .
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.