Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 26th, 2024, 10:20pm

Balance: £22.25
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 16v Thermostat Change »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   How to do things!
(Moderators: Highlander, Baz, Simmo, admin, scorpio_man)
   16v Thermostat Change
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 16v Thermostat Change  (Read 4391 times)
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

16v Thermostat Change
« on: Nov 20th, 2010, 4:35pm »

I changed my Thermostat today, as I've said in a previous post the car was not coming up to temperature very well, and when around town in the summer, was almost looking to overheat.   This lead me to believe that the Thermostat was stuck in an open position.   Before fitting the new Ford 'Stat I tested it in the kitchen with a pan and thermometer.   It started to open at 89 degrees C, and was fully open by just under the 100 degrees.   The 'Stat had 88-102 written on it.    

This might be a bit 'Higglety-Pigglety' but I'll put pictures up too and maybe if any of the more senior members think it's useful can change it as they wish.

I started the night before by soaking the housing with WD40, then leaving the soaked rag wrapped around the 'Stat housing.   (The top bolt, and the right-hand bolt (as you look towards the rear) go right through the both housings The left-hand bolt is captive.)  When ready to do the job I sprayed 'Rost-Off-Ice' liberally around the bolt area and then removed.   It wasn't just a case of 'removed', I worked all bolts slowly back and forth.

On a members suggestion I covered the Alternator with a decent strength plastic-bag.   (It needed it)!   I also found it much easier to remove the intake pipe between the throttle body and the box after the MAF sensor.   Be careful doing this, and make sure before hand you have dis-connected the electrical contact built-in to the pipe!

As you can see the whole issue is easier to get at.

I put a clamp that would usually be used on a flexi-brake-pipe, on the lower rubber pipe coming out of the expansion tank.

I then removed the large rubber pipe from the thermostat housing using a pair of 'parrot-nosed-pliers'. I still had to do a little 'prising' of the rubber off the housing because I suspect it had never been moved before, patience and gentle working and pressure is the best way without any real hard force.

I then removed the housing, having previously loosened the bolts.   At this point I run a 6mm tap down the brass inserts very carefully and slowly, all the way through for the top and right, and 'far-enough' for the left.   In the first picture, the thermostat is in the correct position, with the wee-hole upwards.

I put it all back together slowly and carefully using new bolts from Ford, and tightening them only with a small 10mm combination spanner.   The 'stat is in the right position in the pictures.

Just a matter of putting the hose back on, and taking the plastic bag away, and putting back the air-inlet hose for the throttle body.

Then follow the procedure elsewhere on the site for getting rid of all the air in the cooling system.   Mine needed that procedure.   I only lost about 2 pints of coolant.

Hope this helps someone.

Peter.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
PJDavis

View Profile Email

Re: Thermostat Change
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20th, 2010, 5:05pm »

If anyone has any questions on this, or people think I've missed something, then lets speak-up.  It's not a difficult job, but could potentially be a nasty job.   My car now runs with the temperature gauge nicely placed just below the centre, and when in town just about centre.   The car 'feels' better, it seems to change (Auto) gear better, and the cabin seems easier to control temperature wise.   Although the old thermostat looks old and 'crappy', I tested it, and it seems to work fairly well!

Peter.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 20th, 2010, 5:29pm »

I almost forgot!   Of course before starting, make sure you have a warm shed with plenty of 'supplies' to retreat to.   Tea and biccy's is the best!    Cheesy

I hope some of you recognise the spare wheels ready for winter?
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 20th, 2010, 9:34pm »

PJD.
What are you doing with all that stuff in the living room ! is the car in there as well  Grin
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 20th, 2010, 10:47pm »

Nice write up Smiley

I'll move it to the "how do" section Grin
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Nov 21st, 2010, 9:11am »

I agree. Thanks for that.  Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Pages: 1  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.