Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 6:18pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Windscreen connections »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   How to do things!
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Windscreen connections
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Windscreen connections  (Read 3202 times)
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Windscreen connections
« on: Feb 4th, 2012, 10:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Details for windscreen replacement are here:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/windows/windscreen.pdf

There are 2 heated windscreen elements, one each side. They share relay 18 but the right-hand side uses fuse 38, the left-hand side fuse 41.
On each side there is a feed wire with a connector going to the bottom corners of the screen (the connection may be covered with shrink sleeving). There is also a black earth wire each side with no visible connection. If you want to clean the earth connections you will need to remove the A-pillar glass trims.

Clearly you need to check everything else first & there’s a fair chance the screen is faulty anyway.
In my case I found a slight resistance on the earth terminal but the real problem only reared its head after I’d gone to all the trouble – the bottom connection had come adrift & was only held in place by the screen adhesive.  
It’s probably best not to disturb the wires attached to the screen too much.

The bottom of the rubber seal clips into these keyhole slots in the glass trim:

Don’t remove this rivet – if the rubber does pull off the rivet it can be stretched back over the rivet & if necessary pushed back under with a blunt screwdriver:

The seal pulled from the trim & the rivets drilled:

With the trim removed one of the earth terminals can be seen at the top of the screen:

I don’t know what the official readings should be but these are from my recently fitted screen.

With the engine & windscreen on, 14 amps per side. If you don’t want to disturb the shrink sleeve yet remove the fuses and test at the fusebox. Ensure your meter is capable of coping, mine has a time limit for readings between 10 & 20 amps.
Don’t forget the screen heater may have gone off between testing sides - off after 4 minutes.

---------------

The resistance measured engine off between a disconnected positive windscreen terminal and battery earth was 1.4 ohms per side.

IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.