Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 4:25pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Rear Shocks on a Cosworth 24v estate »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   How to do things!
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Rear Shocks on a Cosworth 24v estate
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rear Shocks on a Cosworth 24v estate  (Read 4228 times)
Gingerbeer

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Rear Shocks on a Cosworth 24v estate
« on: May 31st, 2016, 7:28pm »

Not a new subject I know but couldn't find the info I needed so far.
I am getting two Monroe shocks (as suggested on this forum) tomorrow - £40 the pair - and I have been trying to get the others out. I eventually found where the top bits were and moved on from there.
My question is - when you lower the suspension parts to get the spring and the shock out - which at the moment looks impossible even with compressors, do you have to remove the drive shaft from the hub and the roll bar as well to get enough drop to get the spring out.  
What a job - I am broken.
Apparently according to this forum PC police, I am broken. I am not broken, I am Kn*****ed
Cheers
Colin
IP Logged
GrahamT

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Re: Rear Shocks on a Cosworth 24v estate
« Reply #1 on: Jun 1st, 2016, 12:23am »

I got my shock absorbers out just using spring compressors, fairly easily to be fair. I have previously dropped the whole rear subframe which was a bigger job simply because of the number of connections to seperate (brake hoses, cables, prop shaft, etc.) and the size/weight of it all but still fairly straightforward if your methodical. No hubs need to be seperated, the driveshafts, diff and all drop down as one unit.

Good luck!
Graham
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 1st, 2016, 8:43am »

You should find ALL the information you need in these pages http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/transgen.htm
Hope it helps.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Gingerbeer

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 1st, 2016, 8:47am »

Thanks for that but wrong car. Mine is a 24v Cossie estate. I assume the one in the PDF is something else as shocks outside spring.
on Jun 1st, 2016, 8:43am, Snoopy wrote:
You should find ALL the information you need in these pages http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/transgen.htm
Hope it helps.

IP Logged
Gingerbeer

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jun 1st, 2016, 8:52am »

Thank you for the reply. I am going for removing the springs and shocks in one go with a combination of spring compressors and allowing the suspension unit to drop down - pivot on it's mountings. My worry is by leaving the diff on the car will any damage come to the universal joints by subjecting them to quite an angle as the suspension unit hangs down.  
Oh, and can you test the self leveling shocks as I can't seem to get them to move ?
Cheers
Colin

on Jun 1st, 2016, 12:23am, GrahamT wrote:
I got my shock absorbers out just using spring compressors, fairly easily to be fair. I have previously dropped the whole rear subframe which was a bigger job simply because of the number of connections to seperate (brake hoses, cables, prop shaft, etc.) and the size/weight of it all but still fairly straightforward if your methodical. No hubs need to be seperated, the driveshafts, diff and all drop down as one unit.

Good luck!
Graham

IP Logged
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 1st, 2016, 9:00am »

I have also removed a rear shock absorber from my 24 valve Cossie Estate just using Spring Compressors.

Mike   Smiley
IP Logged
GrahamT

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 3rd, 2016, 1:02am »

I can't remember compressing the shock absorbers but as it is something you just have to do Smiley I guess I must have and if they didn't compress I'd have found that very odd so I guess they compressed too! I do actually vaguely remember them un compressing themselves now thinking about it.
Don't a n y o n e say I must be getting old  Angry
IP Logged
GrahamT

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 3rd, 2016, 1:05am »

While I'm at it, I don't think the driveshafts can hang down any lower than they do in my photo (only support is the diff on the trolley jack) so I don't think they are put under any undue stress being unsupported.
IP Logged
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jun 3rd, 2016, 7:46am »

They do compress okay. It is difficult using standard length compressors  as there is limited space (height). Short compressors are the answer - if you have the tools you can cut a standard set down. Be careful to squeeze the spring evenly so there is no chance of the compressors slipping, then with a bit of wiggiling you can remove the Shock absorber - fit the new Shock and release the Compressors evenly. Job done   Smiley
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 3rd, 2016, 8:36am »

The pages I directed ypu to DO give the procedure for removing/replacing the rear shock absorbers on the estate version http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/rearaxle/RearRSpring.pdf
I quote  

Estate only
17. Unscrew the shock absorber at the top.

Move the load space carpet to one side and
remove the cover.

Unscrew the nut and remove it with the
washer.
18. Unscrew the shock absorber from the
rear axle crossmember.
19. Remove the rear spring.
Lower the rear axle crossmember and
remove the spring through the wheelhouse.
Install
NOTE:  
Make sure that the rear spring is
seated correctly in the rubber cup and the
guide sleeve in the floor assembly.
20. Locate the rear spring in position.
Raise the rear axle cross

The pages I refer to are ALL taken from the FORD workshop manual which was given to us by FORD Europe and used with their permission.  
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jun 3rd, 2016, 8:46am »

I am interested to know where you obtained the Monroe shocks as I have just replaced a pair on my 2ltr estate and I had a job to locate them?.

You will be pleased to know that once you have the Monroe's in place they are slim enough to just drop out through the sub frame so avoiding the current hassle you are having.  I had the self levelling ones removed a few years back but a lower bush had gone so I've just replaced the pair.
 Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Gingerbeer

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jun 3rd, 2016, 11:59am »

Unfortunately, it turned out that they did not have any. So, still looking. I have got the spring and shock out with cut down spring compressors but am having trouble finding out how you test them when off the car. So far - from fords - you can't move them in and out like ordinary shocks but no comment as to condition if you can. I can't move mine so can I assume they are ok. The rubber covers have had it but looking to see if the Steering rack covers that are on the way, do the job. Volvo do a kit for their cars to change to ordinary shocks and springs which apparently improve the handling. Can't find a similar set up for the Cossie but tempted to fit Monroes or equivalent and keep the springs as was done by someone on this site. The springs were really hard to compress anyway. The bushes on the bottom are OK.
on Jun 3rd, 2016, 8:46am, Simmo wrote:
I am interested to know where you obtained the Monroe shocks as I have just replaced a pair on my 2ltr estate and I had a job to locate them?.

You will be pleased to know that once you have the Monroe's in place they are slim enough to just drop out through the sub frame so avoiding the current hassle you are having.  I had the self levelling ones removed a few years back but a lower bush had gone so I've just replaced the pair.
 Smiley

IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jun 3rd, 2016, 4:54pm »

I thought I'd have a check for these and came across a site with alternative part numbers. Some were rubbish BUT This one is not At £20 for a pair I'd bite his hand off. I have just spoken to the bloke and explained that although listed for the Sierra estate they do fit our cars. Smiley Good luck.

Update. The advert says picture is for illustration only BUT I have checked and they do have the bar fitting.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Gingerbeer

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jun 3rd, 2016, 6:30pm »

Thanks for the link. I just bought a pair as at that price, now that I have some idea how to get the originals out, it's worth a trial with the original springs. I just love the work and don't mind doing it twice ! I did read on a Volvo forum that the originals are a bit"boaty" No, not "Boaty Mac nutsfaced" - I mean "Shipface" of course.  I do love the program censor - it changed "sh*tfaced" to nutsfaced HuhHuh
Thanks again for the link.  
Cheers
Colin

on Jun 3rd, 2016, 4:54pm, Simmo wrote:
I thought I'd have a check for these and came across a site with alternative part numbers. Some were rubbish BUT This one is not At £20 for a pair I'd bite his hand off. I have just spoken to the bloke and explained that although listed for the Sierra estate they do fit our cars. Smiley Good luck.

Update. The advert says picture is for illustration only BUT I have checked and they do have the bar fitting.

IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jun 3rd, 2016, 6:53pm »

Glad you got the shocks. I did not change the springs on my car and I have had no issues. Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Gingerbeer

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Jul 12th, 2016, 10:13am »

on Jun 3rd, 2016, 6:53pm, Simmo wrote:
Glad you got the shocks. I did not change the springs on my car and I have had no issues. Wink

Thank you everyone for your advice and help. I have fitted the shocks some time ago and all is well. I would definitely recommend the shocks as the ride is good and Wow, think of the money I have saved  Grin
I would suggest that if you have any doubts about your self levelling shocks then this is the way to go to keep your car on the road. I did notice that after you take the shocks off they are a bit wierd as you cannot move them. Ford say that is normal.  
I have pictures which I may put up later.
IP Logged
Gingerbeer

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Jul 16th, 2016, 12:57pm »

on Jul 12th, 2016, 10:13am, Gingerbeer wrote:

Thank you everyone for your advice and help. I have fitted the shocks some time ago and all is well. I would definitely recommend the shocks as the ride is good and Wow, think of the money I have saved  Grin
I would suggest that if you have any doubts about your self levelling shocks then this is the way to go to keep your car on the road. I did notice that after you take the shocks off they are a bit wierd as you cannot move them. Ford say that is normal.  

Here is the link already posted by member but I suggest you all get these while they are still going.  
eBay item number:

IP Logged
Gingerbeer

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Jan 21st, 2017, 3:25pm »

on Jul 12th, 2016, 10:13am, Gingerbeer wrote:

Here is a small pdf about the swap. Hope it helps. Saves an awful lot of money even if you can get the original. https://www.dropbox.com/s/dt3zes787s7dgan/Rear%20Shocks%20details.pdf?dl =0
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Jan 21st, 2017, 5:03pm »

Colin thank you for that.  Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
OldTuckUnder

New Scorpio Owner

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Aug 23rd, 2018, 11:15pm »

Late question on Cosworth Estate Shocks.
Thought I'd check that the top nuts were torqued up correctly as have a few little clunks on bumpy roads.  

Que 2 hour delay when I find that one of the rear seats is jambed shut and the release button won't work, because a PO had obviously not realised that there is also a locking button behind the seat and had tried to force it. Took a couple of hours working out how to do it, took pictures as could find no thread here on that problem, so will post on how I solved it.

Anyway back to this thread, so seats dropped so I can lift estate carpet and get at the nuts at the top of the shocks.  They looked good but thought I'd check the torque on the nuts just in case. OK read all the instructions detailed above but there must be something missing, or I'm thick (could be both) So put a socket on the nut and a torque wrench and the nut turns, but so does the bolt the nut is on which I twigged after about I/2 a turn.  So how do you tighten or untighten that top nut on an estate?   Is there something down underneath that needs holding in order to tighten/loosen that top nut?  The ford instructions referenced above just say undo it or do it up, which obviously just plain won't work!
Alan
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.