Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 4:21pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Rear Shocks on a Cosworth 24v estate »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   How to do things!
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Rear Shocks on a Cosworth 24v estate
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rear Shocks on a Cosworth 24v estate  (Read 4227 times)
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: Rear Shocks on a Cosworth 24v estate
« Reply #20 on: Aug 25th, 2018, 10:48pm »

On the front shocks you use a male torx driver in the centre socket to stop it turning whilst you use a ring spanner on the nut, I assume the rear is the same.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
OldTuckUnder

New Scorpio Owner

View Profile

« Reply #21 on: Aug 25th, 2018, 11:42pm »

I'll have another look tomorrow, but if someone can explain when doing up how to apply 85Nm torque using a ring spanner on the nut I'd be grateful.
Alan
IP Logged
OldTuckUnder

New Scorpio Owner

View Profile

« Reply #22 on: Sep 4th, 2018, 8:47pm »

Just a quick update on this had a close look before putting rear carpet back, and yes on the estate there is a hex head in the top of the stud, so to torque I think its hold the stud with an Allen bit whilst tightening nut with a ring and then when your about there, put a torque wrench on the Allen bit, put a ring on the nut and just tweak for the final correct torque.
Alan
IP Logged
OldTuckUnder

New Scorpio Owner

View Profile

« Reply #23 on: Sep 18th, 2018, 5:42pm »

Well having now acquired a set of good spare self levelling Estate shocks (thanks Graham!), I thought I'd reread a few of the threads on fitting, as well as the ford installation instructions for rear springs and shocks, as there seemed to be some confusion about the self levelling shocks.

MY conclusion and someone please shoot me down in flames if I'm wrong, is that one there are two types of self levelling, and that even the ford instructions aren't correct.

1) There is self levelling for the Saloon's that has a pump somewhere, and pipework to the shocks that are outside of the springs.
2) There are the self levelling shocks for the Estate that don't use a pump, have no pipework and fit within the springs.

The ford instructions at  

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/suspension/RearRSpring.pdf

Are incorrect/incomplete on this and give an impression that the estate also has a pump and pipework.

The RearRSpring.pdf, instructions were incorrectly written by Ford, if you read steps 17,18,19 they are a duplicate of 14,15,16.  I suspect that steps 17,18,19 should have been steps on how to compress and remove the spring and shock, the Estate instructions in http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/suspension/RAxleShockAbs.pdf  also seem to think that you can take the spring out and then take the shock out, which you obviously can't.

Unless the self levelling shocks on the estate were an afterthough and the instructions never updated, as it was originally designed to take the Sierra/Monroe style shock that will just drop down through the lower arm.

Thanks to individuals threads on the forum, it seems apparent that without dropping the exhaust and disconnecting drive shafts (which maybe is what makes the Ford instructions work?) That with the right size spring compressors the spring and shock can come out together. Going to try and get up on friends ramps next week and take a better look, to assess how long it might take during a slot over winter.

In no rush to change them as the bottom bushes are OK, but are starting to think they might wan't to break up at some point, and I wan't to have a go at making up replacement Polybushes, and would rather play with the set on the car rather than the ones just acquired.

Alan

PS another successful short run in the Estater yesterday, everything worked faultlessly apart from odd flicking air bag light which I will attend to in the winter. Really starting to like this car and get used to it!
IP Logged
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #24 on: Sep 18th, 2018, 6:42pm »

Replaced mine (spanner did the work) with sierra estate ones as i also had s/h ones that bled all over the drive after a week. You can't test them off the car as thay don't move.
 HTH  Roy
IP Logged

Cosworth Scorpio only 46 on the road now NOW down to 42.
OldTuckUnder

New Scorpio Owner

View Profile

« Reply #25 on: Sep 18th, 2018, 7:30pm »

If I didn't want to use it as the tow car for the Sprint Hill Climb car, its the route I think I'd go also.
Alan
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #26 on: Jun 20th, 2019, 7:47am »

The Estate shock absorber lower bushes are now available, I bought a couple and the dimensions appear to be right but not tried fitting them yet:
https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/tedgum/8522722

Made by Tedgum part no 00224004

I started a new topic as the thread about the bushes is locked:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=admin;action=dis play;num=1282569538

The information is supplied by Tompion and added by me for your information.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Pages: 1 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.