Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 3:29am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Saloon rear springs needed. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Parts Wanted
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Saloon rear springs needed.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Saloon rear springs needed.  (Read 502 times)
andyw2000

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Saloon rear springs needed.
« on: Aug 22nd, 2010, 3:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,  

I have a 95 Scorpio TD saloon and after years of towing a caravan the rear spring are sagging and its sitting a bit low at the back now. If anybody has a car that they are breaking with good springs could they let me know if they want to sell the springs and how much they want for them. I am near Chelmsford in Essex but I would imaging that postage wouldn't be mega expensive.  
My car is a basic Ghia model, I have searched the forum and on a thread it said that estate springs won't fit a saloon which is a shame as there some estate ones on Ebay......just my luck!!!
Thanks
Regards
Andy
IP Logged
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

Re: Saloon rear springs needed.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22nd, 2010, 6:06pm »

I think the estate springs can be made to fit, but they may be a bit saggy as the estates have the self-levelling to compensate for softer springs. I had estate springs on mine according to the spring manufacturer, but it was a self-levelling saloon Smiley The difference was 2 inches between the "resting position" with a disconnected compressor and normal ride height.
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 22nd, 2010, 7:36pm »

andy.
You would be far better off biting the bullet and getting two new pattern parts from a motor factor,because you need to drop the subframe to fit em,and it would be very disappointing to find that your used replacements were flatter than your own,and have to do it all again.
       GOZZ.
IP Logged
andyw2000

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Aug 22nd, 2010, 10:52pm »

Thanks for the reply, I will have a look around and see how much they are.
The car is just a run around at the moment so don't want to spend out too much on it.
IP Logged
andyw2000

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Aug 22nd, 2010, 11:17pm »

Hi, just had a look at the manual on the web site as i haven't really looked under the scorpio yet but it sounds like a lot of work on there although looking at the pictures it looks just like my MK1 granada underneath!!
Last time I changed the springs on that I removed the rear shocks (1 nut in the boot for each and 2 bolts from the beam under the car where the springs sit) then jacked the body up on the car so the springs hung down put in my spring clamps and popped them out.
Is this setup more difficult as from the photos it looks the same?
IP Logged
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Aug 23rd, 2010, 7:14am »

This may work with short spring clamps if you release the suspension insulator bolts, but it can be dangerous if you don't get them squeezed enough to just pop in, and they bounce back. And they need to go around the thing holding the bumb stops as well Smiley Mine were done without releasing the last top bolt. The old saggy ones are easier to get out. Dropping the subframe is the "foolproof" way AFAIK.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Aug 24th, 2010, 12:26am »

Don't buy estate springs as they won't fit a saloon....believe me, I've tried  Wink
Estate springs are wider at the top than saloon springs  Smiley

I've got a pair of 'Lesjofors' standard rear saloon springs that I bought brand new a couple of years ago & only had them on the Scorp for about a year, so they're not all saggy....I'll take 50 grams (2oz in old money Wink) of Golden Virginia for the pair if your interested & I'm not that far from Chelmsford either  Smiley

You own a MK1 Granny then eh ? .....I've got one of those  Smiley
IP Logged
andyw2000

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Aug 24th, 2010, 10:35am »

Hi, thanks I have sent you a message Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.