Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 12:26am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« estate rear shocks »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Parts Wanted
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   estate rear shocks
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: estate rear shocks  (Read 1095 times)
Torbayboy

View Profile

estate rear shocks
« on: Nov 11th, 2017, 10:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Need a shock absorber for my 97 estate 24v... please
IP Logged

Cosworth Scorpio only 46 on the road now NOW down to 42.
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

Re: estate rear shocks
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11th, 2017, 2:01pm »

Might have a used one in the garage.
Will check later.

Update : Quick garage search resulted in 2 found !
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Nov 11th, 2017, 3:18pm »

I note that these were found in the garage. The question now arises was this the one at the house or the remote garage? and does it mean that "The Shed" is now becoming redundant?? Surely not!! Grin Cheesy
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Nov 11th, 2017, 3:29pm »

on Nov 11th, 2017, 3:18pm, Simmo wrote:
I note that these were found in the garage. The question now arises was this the one at the house or the remote garage? and does it mean that "The Shed" is now becoming redundant?? Surely not!! Grin Cheesy

Might have known you would be along to make some comment... Grin
Shed is far from being made redundant !
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Nov 12th, 2017, 7:55am »

on Nov 11th, 2017, 3:29pm, Scorpio_Mike wrote:

Might have known you would be along to make some comment... Grin
Shed is far from being made redundant !

I'd hate to disappoint you Mike! Grin    
Let's face it that shed has revealed more treasures than Gozz's attic!! Cheesy Grin
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 12th, 2017, 8:18pm »

Spikie and his right hand man came,and with intrepid skill the right hand man cleared out the attic,Spikie is now too old to ascend into the spidery hovel.
I reckon Scorpio Mike is trying to divert attention from 'the shed',either he knows the rise will be taken or it is full of items of great value and hopes to divert attention from it,thus waiting for a further increase in monetary gain  Cool Or it could simply be the fear of entrapment !!
Simmo,does Torbayboy know of past efforts to circumvent the cost and drudge of estate shocks  ?,I seem to remember you and others investigating replacements.All my funeral vehicles were saloon based and simple to change,unlike the performance required on the estate.
           GOZZ.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Nov 12th, 2017, 8:45pm »

I had a similar thought Gozz re the shocks on the Estate.

Torbayboy.   The shocks on the Estate are , as I'm sure you know, gas filled, very large and expensive...if you can get them apart from Mikes' garage!

It is possible to fit shock absorbers from the Sierra estate..as I and others have, unless you are likely to carry very heavy loads. The main reason for change so far has been the failure of the bushes.  If you read through   This page and check out the links you will see what I mean. There is also more detail Here  If Scorpio Mikes' unit solves your problem great. If not there is plenty of info here to help you.  The main thing is that the original ones will not just drop out like the Sierra ones. It is a significant job to change them as will be seen.
 Smiley Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Torbayboy

View Profile

Re: estate rear shocks update
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12th, 2017, 9:35pm »

Thanks to you all for your help with this, the shocker on my estate has bled all over the drive! It seems I am going to get the local spanner to fit the ones from scorpio mike later this week.

As the car has been standing for a while I anticipated problems, the water leak? has now settled after swallowing a gallon of h2o

The battery has died on my 95 cossie saloon -  changed the rear lights yesterday for facelifts only to find they changed the bulbs and holder at the same time!!??

Glad I'm old and semi retired or wouldn't have time to fix all these things, will keep you updated thanks   Roy
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Nov 13th, 2017, 7:09am »

"I am going to get the local spanner to fit the ones from scorpio mike later this week. "

If I were you Roy I'd try and have a look at what is involved when they do the work!....and hope you never need to do it yourself!

Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Nov 16th, 2017, 8:19am »

Some time back I had to fit rear shocks to one of my Cossie Estates.  I raised the rear of the car ( I did one side at a time) so that the suspension was at its it's full extent, undid the Shock from inside the car, undid the securing bolt from the bottom of the Shock and removed the plate.  Then using 2 Compressors I compressed the Spring as much as possible then I used 2 short Spring Compressors to compress the Spring to where I could wiggle the Shock Absorber out and insert the "new" Shock.

Most of the time I was scared to death that the Spring Compressors would slip causing me serious injury, therefore I tightened one up a bit and then the other one a bit more ensuring that the first compressor was still in contact with the Spring.  I repeated this process throughout the whole of the procedure - tightening and releasing the Compressors. It is vital that you use 2 Spring Compressors at a time, placing them as near to opposite to each other as possible.  Also make sure that the Spring is clean and dry as any moisture acts as a lubricant.

Take your time!

Mike  Smiley
IP Logged
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Nov 16th, 2017, 8:43am »

Hello Nunnspoet,

I will not be doing this job, last time I used spring compressors was on my'66 Anglia to fit the Classic struts for the disc brake upgrade...scared the life out of me, local guy is trying to save my '96 cos saloon also - he loves "projects" - just as well really he is the one to fit the shocker for me.
Will update when done, but this is Devon, so don't hold your breath.

Roy
IP Logged

Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Nov 16th, 2017, 9:00am »

Cheers Roy.

Yup, I was scared.

We live in Somerset and Devon seems a long way away, not so much Exeter or Plymouth but Torbay etc, very beautiful but seems to take ages to get there.  Still we like a bit of isolation, brill really.

Mike  

Cool
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.