Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 4:57am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« My Cossie's been vandalised - Rear quarter window »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Parts Wanted
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   My Cossie's been vandalised - Rear quarter window
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: My Cossie's been vandalised - Rear quarter window  (Read 378 times)
DavidBE

1998 Ghia X 2.9 24V Auto Estate

View Profile

My Cossie's been vandalised - Rear quarter window
« on: Feb 11th, 2021, 11:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I don't suppose anyone can help, but I don't know what to do other than ask.

Went out to do the weekly shop yesterday, and found that some toe-rag had shattered the off-side rear quarter window (if that's the right name ... the window on the side of the luggage compartment in the estate) with a catapult (I found the ball bearing in the shattered glass in the luggage compartment).

The glass claim number for my insurance actually connected me to Auto Windows, who had me pay the £75 excess over the phone, and said they'd call in the morning to make the actual appointment to replace the window.

They did call this morning, but just to tell me they didn't have that piece of glass, and none of their suppliers do either, so they can't help - unless I can magic the glass up from somewhere, in which case they'll happily come and fit it.

I am just so totally gutted. I was so surprised and so happy to find and be able to get a low mileage, perfect condition Scorpio estate when my old saloon had breathe its last. It was so perfect. Every time i was driving it I had a big stupid grin on my face, and it's the first time I've felt happy - or anything at all much - since becoming disabled in 2007. But in just a couple of weeks I've had the front bumper shattered by a neighbour's careless reversing - but at least that was an accident - and now mindless vandalism breaking irreplaceable glass. I just feel sick.

So I don't suppose anyone here has a Scorpio estate for spares which has an intact and available off-side rear quarter window?
IP Logged
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

Re: My Cossie's been vandalised - Rear quarter win
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11th, 2021, 1:00pm »

There is one on ebay   273951997414
 I expect its a bit of a job to get out  Shocked

Advert
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Feb 11th, 2021, 3:10pm »

An idea of what's involved replacing it is here under the estate only section:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/windwsmanl.htm
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
DavidBE

1998 Ghia X 2.9 24V Auto Estate

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Feb 11th, 2021, 11:23pm »

Ooh. Don't think I'm anywhere up to that job, looking at that page.

However, while I kind of assumed all these companies get the glass from the same places, so if one couldn't get it the rest wouldn't either, it appears that's not the case. After a lot of phone calling - and a lot of time on hold, and being interrupted by barking dogs  while taking to glass company people working from home - I first found one company that swore they could get that particular piece of glass, but weren't on the 'list' of my insurer so there'd be a limited payout not quite covering the cost above the excess; and I then found a company that was on the insurer's list that also checked and said they could get it. Both could only supply the version without the shatter sensor the original one on the Cossie had (I presume the no-sensor one will still fit), so I guess I'll have to give up the attempt to keep the pristine, all original showroom look the car had until a couple of weeks ago ... but it's looking like I'll have to give up on finding a facelift replacement front bumper anyway. Sad

I must say that after reading some of the reviews these car glass fitting companies have, and the detailed horror stories scattered between the 'brilliant's, looking over that fitting instructions page leaves me with a distinct sense of dread as to what the glass fitter will do to the car. Not that they could do worse than I'd do if I tried.

The yobs who did this didn't only hit my Cossie - there was at lest one other person's car and  someone else's house window too. Idiots.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Feb 12th, 2021, 2:22pm »

If it were me I'd take out the internal trim myself.  
When I had my windscreen replaced I took the wipers & grille off (gave me a chance to service the wiper linkage & have a clear-out of the area). I think I had to sign to say the fitter wasn't responsible for this which is as you'd expect.

Did the alarm go off?
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.