Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 6:21pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Front windscreen heater vent panel =- Raven »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Parts Wanted
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Front windscreen heater vent panel =- Raven
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Front windscreen heater vent panel =- Raven  (Read 378 times)
DavidBE

1998 Ghia X 2.9 24V Auto Estate

View Profile

Front windscreen heater vent panel =- Raven
« on: Mar 12th, 2021, 9:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This is frustrating ,,, the small number of little jobs I had to do on my otherwise showroom-looking new (to me in October last year) Cossie estate all somehow turned out to be much harder than expected (and me much more inept than I used to be), but as of finally freeing off my previously un-adjustable rear-view mirror and getting my phone to finally work through the Ford stereo, I have just this one thing left, but I need a replacement part I can't find anywhere,

I need what's called the 'front windscreen heater vent panel' in step 8 on http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/interior/trim/fasciatrim95on.pdf, or the 'Grille - Defroster Nozzle' part no. 1014364 in the Ford OEM parts catalogue. But it needs to be that Raven interior one - dark grey. Infuriatingly, eBay actually has an unused, still packaged Ford spare part, but it's the 1014365 'Pumice' light grey version!

Somebody at some point put the one in my car back wrong. The ends stick up and won't clip down, their are several cracks, and it is somehow stuck in the middle where there isn't supposed to be a clip or anything holding it. I just need an undamaged one to replace the current one after I get the old one off. I searched high and low on eBay, messaged several sellers of Scorpio parts who appear to have Scorpios they're breaking, asked on the websites that send the request to hundreds of breakers who are supposed to reply and offer - nothing.

So, has anyone got a spare one of these on an old Scorpio you keep for parts - the piece at the base of the inside of the windscreen on top of the facia that forms the vents the sir comes up onto the screen from? In raven dark grey.

If only I had a drive, I'd have been able to keep my old 2.3 saloon for spares and could have had this bit out of that ...
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re:  Front windscreen heater vent panel =- Ra
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14th, 2021, 2:05pm »

Chances are you won't get a decent second hand one. They are difficult to get out without damage & years of sitting in the sun means damage is almost inevitable.  
There are 3 main fixing points & some fixed plastic clips along the length that just spring into the opening.  
The 3 main fixings clip into metal clips held by the 3 top bolts of the crashpad. the 2 end ones are probably broken.
Sounds like the middle one is still hanging on. If you gently lever one end up you may be able to see the metal clip to get an idea of how the middle is still being held. You may be able to get a knife under the middle and spring the clip but chances are it'll end up worse than it is now. If you zoom in on the PDF to the upturned vent you can get an idea of where the middle clip is in relation to the PATS light.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
DavidBE

1998 Ghia X 2.9 24V Auto Estate

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Mar 14th, 2021, 2:41pm »

I have got it out. As I suspected from the three big cracks on the drivers side, it's actually in three pieces: the passenger side and centre, the driver's side front from the inside end of the vent to the outside end, and the driver's side remainder - rear from the inside of the vent plus the end. The clips at either end are damaged with obviously broken off plastic, more at one end than the other. No wonder the ends wouldn't stay down.

Guess I'll just have to try gluing the pieces together. (Thinks: would a soldering iron on the underside melt the bits together?) And I can't immediately see any way to get the ends to sit down like they should with the broken plastic that should engage with the metal clips.

Bother. For some reason the two ends sitting up just always catch my eye as something jarring that needs fixing.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14th, 2021, 3:50pm »

It doesn't glue particularly well. I fed some glue into the cracks & used a hot iron below on mine and spread some filler over the underside, but the cracks are visible again.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.