Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 10:05am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 2.3L Ghia X Estate 1998 for Spares or Repairs »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Cars for Sale
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   2.3L Ghia X Estate 1998 for Spares or Repairs
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2.3L Ghia X Estate 1998 for Spares or Repairs  (Read 749 times)
GrahamT

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

2.3L Ghia X Estate 1998 for Spares or Repairs
« on: Jun 26th, 2018, 6:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well, I've tried to do this now several times, the last time was a couple of years ago and now is the time. I'm afraid my Scorpio has to go. I just will not find the time to fix this car myself, which is gutting and other forces are at work which means it has to go fairly soon. It will need some welding!

It is mechanically in very good condition with the engine, gearbox, diff, brakes etc. all in good order. The engine runs very nicely. Recently it has been reluctant to turn over which is either the battery or the starter motor. I've charged the battery up overnight but not tried a new battery. I've driven it up and down the common fairly regularly, so it is all running and driving and even the handbrake still holds. There is a slight leak on the power steering somewhere though.

All the electrics work, even the sunroof with a little help. Air con works well and as it is the later facelift model, it has decent wiring. No airbag lights (fixed that) no ABS lights (Galaxy sensors on the front (I think!).  

About 130k on the clock, from memory. Set of 4 12 spokes with decent tyres on the car, another set of 7 spokes with good winter tyres too. It will come with 2 fobs but I have a few more (can't remember exactly how many) which I will keep and I will continue to upgrade fobs to micro button swithes unless someone else wants to take on that task? I just won't have a car to test them on.

I'm looking to get rid of the whole lot in one go and hoping to get £500. If you're interested please pm me.

Thanks for reading. I'm going to go for a quiet cry now.

I think that's about it. Here's a link to some photos...
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JOcxtTPHnowny61myib2ft3lJEtk4e8v ?usp=sharing
IP Logged
GrahamT

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Re: 2.3L Ghia X Estate 1998 for Spares or Repairs
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26th, 2018, 6:56am »

So, what's the problem? Well, a few years ago I spotted quite bad rust on the driver's side rear chassis member which, as you all know, is common and most unwelcome. I dropped the rear suspension, diff, etc. (replacing brake hoses, anti roll bar bushes, drop links, etc.) and repaired the corrosion, both inner and outer skins (a proper job, quite pleased with it I was). The passenger side looked ok with just a small scab but I cut about a square inch out and put new metal in there too. I put it all back together and didn't think too much more about it. In hindsight, I should've cut a good 6 inches out and had a proper look!

I came into an inheritance and bought myself a 4x4 as my workplace is in the countryside and my dad lives in a remote area. I kept the Scorpio to become a weekend car and to tinker with. It had been left at work for a little while and the rear passenger side tyre went flat. I jacked the car up to change the wheel and the jacking point collapsed. Ok, not totally unexpected and not too bad to repair. I knew it needed a sill so I got a pair and set about repairing the jacking point and replacing both sills (yes, I accepted there would be repairs to be made to the inner sills too). I cut away some of the old sill to see what was what and as I was crawling around underneath I spotted that the passenger side rear chassis member had exploded into a crusty sea of corrosion (hindsight, a wonderful thing). My heart sank. I could not face doing all that work again. I had many other plates in the air at the time and I did not need this. It took me the best part of a summer to repair the other side, in between work and everything else. So, I put the wheel back on, parked it outside the gate and went to sulk. It stayed outside the gate for about 3 years.

So, there you have it. The car could be repaired, if you're into that sort of thing. The sills will go with the car. Or it could be a great source of spares. It had new (pattern) front lower suspension arms a couple of years before I stopped using it (Latvian or Lithuanian, I think) and it comes with another pair of very cheap pattern lower arms (German) which, from a quick scout of the forum don't seem to last very long but should get you through an MoT if desperate. It also comes with nearly new (about 100 miles) rear self levelling shock absorbers I bought off a forum member. Mine were leaking so I bought the Sierra units and also (because I found a pair really cheap) the Mercedes units. I plumped for the Merc shockers and found them very good but when the opportunity arose to get the proper jobs, I grabbed them. I also have a "Scorpio with the seats down" bootful of spares, headlamps, exhaust, cat, calipers, ABS module, relays, switches and other electrics including one of the global opening/closing mods I never got around to fitting. Even a bit of paint too. Medium Charcoal Green in cellulose. I don't think there's enough to do the whole car, but maybe the bottom half. On that subject, I have replaced both rear wheel arches but didn't do a very good job. Got too much heat into the panels and warped the rear wings. I also had an issue with the bonnet (which seems to have spread to the roof) with loads of scratches suddenly appearing. I repsprayed it myself but again, not a great job. It is presentable but far from perfect. The interior is black leather and very nice. Tidy but maybe a small nick here and there. Rear load cover also ok.
IP Logged
GrahamT

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 30th, 2018, 7:42am »

This car has now gone to a new home.  I still have a lot of parts, bumpers, cat, exhaust, many black boxes, inlet manifolds, etc. I'll put some photos up somewhere and add to this thread. Email me if you are interested. Parts are located near Hereford on the main Worcester road.
IP Logged
OldTuckUnder

New Scorpio Owner

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Aug 30th, 2018, 7:35pm »

Have sent you PM
IP Logged
GrahamT

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 31st, 2018, 6:08am »

Well, I would have put some photos up if I hadn't left my phone in the lock up where the parts are last night! The car has gone to be used as a donor for a "restomod" type job, the engine and running gear to be used in a "classic"! Something I was considering but wondered how I'd get the whole kit caboodle into the Allegro! I gave up Smiley

There's been a bit of interest in the bumpers. They are medium charcoal green so are likely to need respraying as I don't think I know of anyone else with a car the same colour! It is a facelift car so the front bumper has the ducts for the brakes. No washers. Front bumper is pretty good, just missing one captive nut. Rear bumper has a 6 inch long horizontal split right in the middle which should repair fairly easily and it has reversing sensors fitted which I can remove or leave as required. I have filled it with expanding foam to try and give it some body, which seems to have worked ok. It is not as tidy as the front bumper but not bad at all. I'll put some photos on later.  
If the interested parties can hold on until the photos are available I think I will ask for your bids and the highest bidder will win them. Please bid seperately for front and rear bumpers. I will donate 10% of any sales to the forum fund.
Thanks for reading and for your patience,
Graham
IP Logged
GrahamT

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 11th, 2018, 8:21am »

Sorry this has taken so long, just one thing after another at the moment. Most recently my laptop suddenly expiring.  
Here's a link to the same folder of parts as before but it now includes photos of the bumpers.  
Send me a pm or email with your "bid" for any of the items and the highest bidder will be notified. Bidding closes on the 23rd at midnight.
The items you are bidding on are as follows...
Front Bumper
Rear Bumper (the reversing sensors are after market)
Rear Self Levelling Shock Absorbers (very low mileage, I never fitted them)
Catalytic Converter (low milage, I never used)
Exhaust system
Steering rack (no idea of condition)
Radiator (looks very powdery but seems to be intact. I will get this tested if there is any interest)

All the other parts I'll play by ear. I'd like to move everything in one go really so a bid on all the parts will trump individual bids but I will try to be fair to everyone.

The inlet manifolds, one is off a 2.3 Auto, the other is off a 2.0 Transit. I'm not sure if the Transit one will fit a Scorpio. They look similar but not the same. There are definite differences but I don't know if they are vital or not.
Also, not 100% certain the air con compressors and alternators are all Scorpio items. I should also have a pair of Sierra rear shock absorbers that will fit the estate (I used Mercedes items on mine). Any interest in them I'll try to dig them out. The front struts come with both hubs but I'm sure they need new wheel bearings.
I also have a set of clocks out of a 2.3 Auto that I have resoldered so should not suffer from the common intermittent airbag light fault.
I can't think of anything else worthy of a special mention so we'll see how it goes.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KD8hMMMTKa_wNrtaxGdLoxeH7DITUUP4

Admin, you are welcome to move this post to the Parts section or delete/amend however you see fit to comply with site rules/etiquette/etc. or send me a PM as appropriate.

10% of all sales will be donated to the site.

Thanks,
Graham
IP Logged
GrahamT

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 16th, 2018, 4:29am »

Clocks sold
Forgot to say I have one of the Steve Collister Global Opening/closing widgets as well. Ideal as a spare for someone??
(I noticed I did say it earlier, but I'll say it again anyway Smiley )
IP Logged
GrahamT

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 20th, 2019, 4:54am »

Everything now on eBay, main items now are the front and rear bumpers, it all needs to go asap.
Feels very sad now but I'm glad I had the time I did have with my Scorpio. A fine car.
And thanks to all that helped me along the way. I hope you can keep the forum going. Facebook just isn't the same.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.