Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 8:26pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Hurray!! Deadlocking, PATS and Alarm all sorted »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   News
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Hurray!! Deadlocking, PATS and Alarm all sorted
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hurray!! Deadlocking, PATS and Alarm all sorted  (Read 2102 times)
Danny_R

97 Ford Crown Vic 4.6L V8 ,88 Mercury GM 5.0L V8

View Profile

Hurray!! Deadlocking, PATS and Alarm all sorted
« on: Apr 8th, 2004, 11:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all

as some of you may remember, I wrote earlier in the year about problems I'd been having with deadlocking not operating, PATS LED remaining illuminated, central locking that would unlock when ignition turned off and alarm sounding at random intervals. well after nearly 5 months of investigating, replacing looms/control units/switches/ cleaning fuse boxes etc.. I've finally cracked it!!! in fact I cant believe what it was and how simple it was!!!

if your scorp suffers from any of the following:

No Deadlocking (with all doors/boot/bonnet closed) either with remote or via key,
Illuminated PATS LED which remains illuminated in key positions 1 and 2 but car still starts as normal,
central locking will unlock (if locked from the inside) when key turned to position 1,
Alarm sounding for no apparent reason (especially in the night to wake neighbours up!)

you may want to read the find below! it could save you a lot of hassle and a lot of money!!!

since I bought the car in October 2003, I came to notice that my deadlocking wasn't working with either the key or two presses of the remote. I had also noticed that my PATS LED would remain illuminated in key positions 1 and 2 but wasn't flashing any fault codes or anything but the car started fine. I sometimes drive with the doors locked (prevents boot being opened while stationary) and noticed that the doors would unlock themselves when key turned from 2 to 1. Then just to finish things off I could sometimes hear a clicking noise from the passenger side foot well which I later discovered was the alarm (someone had conveniently disconnected the alarm horn!). something made me think that all the problems were related somehow. I went to FORD - no joy, went to three auto electricians who were going to charge the earth just to have a look! so in sheer desperation I sat and wondered what it could be. I began the elimination process! checked the PATS keys - replaced with new, took door cards off all doors - checked all multiplugs in doors - tested door ajar switches (used by alarm), checked and replaced rotary switches around door barrels, replaced battery, stripped fuse boxes, checked all pin switches on doors bonnet and boot (replaced bonnet switch), took dashboard out - checked all PATS connections - replaced PATS module ALARM module and receiver on IGN (thank god for donor car!!!), replaced wiring loom on boot hinge (RHS - goes to solenoid and ajar switch - hinge wiring well known for problems) AND STILL ALL THE PROBLEMS REMAINED!!!! Then today it hit meSmiley I'd already found that PATS disables the Engine management computer but it also isolates the fuel pump as a last resort if the power supply to PATS is attacked (clever stuff!!!) so there was only one thing left to try - the fuel cut off switch in the boot. straight swap from donor car and hey presto!!! ALL problems solved in an instant!!! deadlocking working (first time in ?? well who knows!!!) PATS LED working as it should (position 2 for 5 seconds then goes out), doors stay locked when turning IGN off and no more false alarms!! ALL BECAUSE OF THE B***DY FUEL CUT OFF SWITCH!!! just to test my theory, I popped the red fuel cut off button so it was flush with the housing and all the problems came back again (Strange how the car still started!Huh) pushed the button back to its home position and all is working again!

So I'm one happy person. Sorry for the big essay!!! its just this has been a really annoying set of problems and has taken nearly six whole months to diagnose. I really hope it can help someone who's scorp displays the same symptoms.

Right, bed time I think!

Kind Regards

a very happy Danny R
IP Logged
allante

1996 24v Scorpio Saloon

allante666  
View Profile Email

Re: Hurray!! Deadlocking, PATS and Alarm all sorte
« Reply #1 on: Apr 9th, 2004, 6:39am »

Hi
Glad you got it all sorted, just one thing, yuou said-"I sometimes drive with the doors locked (prevents boot being opened while stationary)"
I think you will find that the boot cant be opened with the engine running anyway, i know mine cant and it seems to be a hand me down from the mk3's. it was so you couldnt drive with the tailgate open and gas yourself on the fumes. a lot of people used to disable it though as it could be a pain at times.
as i say, my boot wont open unless you turn the engine off...try it, just out of curiosity!

Andy
IP Logged

"Hell hath no fury like a Cosworth scorned!"
Danny_R

97 Ford Crown Vic 4.6L V8 ,88 Mercury GM 5.0L V8

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Apr 9th, 2004, 8:00am »

Hi andy,

mine is one of the first scorpio's in production registered 1/1/1995. there was a thread on the Mlist about this a while ago. it appears some scorps (like mine) do allow you to open the boot while engine running and some dont.

another characteristic i guess Grin

cheers

Danny R
IP Logged
Alan

I Love My Cosi

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 10th, 2004, 12:55am »

Nice one Danny

I have a simular problem on my old J reg scorpio The alarm will sound for no reason even with the ignition on so I will will give that a try when I put it back on the road in a couple of months.
Cheers
     Alan
IP Logged

I have a 95 cosi and I love it
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.