Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 6:18am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Car Computers »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   News
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Car Computers
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Car Computers  (Read 625 times)
admin
Administrator

The Big Boss

View Profile

Car Computers
« on: Apr 21st, 2004, 7:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Some of you may know that I have moved to the USA and I'm just getting up to speed with what people are doing over here with their cars (most of them are complete nutters and everyone seems to love Hondas LOL) however I have just discovered Car Computers and I am in the process of building one.

I am using a Shuttle PC (search for this stuff on www.google.com or www.mp3car.com) which is very small and using an AMD Athlon XP CPU, 120GB harddrive, 512MB ram and an 8" touchscreen - it runs Wiindows XP Pro. The computer is fitted in the boot and the touchscreen on the dash with a DVD drive in the glovebox. I also have a USB hub in the glovebox which has a GPS receiver, XM PCR (Satellite radio receiver only available in the US) and an amateur band PC controlled radio receiver attached. The Shuttle has a wireless network card with external antenna and TV receiver card installed.  I have also installed one of Alex Pepers ODD2 interfaces (I bought a Chevy Venture van which has OBD2) and his digital dashboard software.
Everything is powered from a UPS and Invertor but I will eventually invest in a DC-DC unit.

Using a piece of software called MediaEngine which gives me a graphical user interface for the touchscreen I can now play MP3's, use the Navigation system with GPS, listen to satellite and FM radio on the move, scan Amateur radio and watch DVDs and videos when stopped. I can also monitor the cars OBD2 system on the go.

I see that there are some people in the UK doing similar things but I don't think it's been mentioned on the Scorpio site before - it's great fun thinking of new applications that you can run on it and not very expensive to setup either - the price of a good headunit and amplifier.

If anyone wants more info then let me know - I will do a page for the site as soon as it's finished and looks a little more professional that it does at the moment Smiley

Regards

Steve
Webmaster

Forgot to say that it also links to my Wireless home network when parked in the Garage and I can browse the Net and download new files to it as needed. Lot's of people are using wireless home networks over here and no-one seems to know how to make them secure so you can browse the net when stopped at traffic lights etc on quite a few occasions LOL
IP Logged
JohnJ

98 2.3 Ultima

View Profile Email

Re: Car Computers
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21st, 2004, 8:16pm »

Right I've told the wife to pack the bags! Grin...No were going over to Florida for three weeks in September....cant wait....can imagine its going to be a life time experience...I've told the wife that I'm getting a iPod overthere but that could change depending on what comes into my head....Also love playing mp3s.

JJ Wink
IP Logged
john.n

I love my cossie

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 21st, 2004, 8:54pm »

Steve.YOU ARE THE MAN!! john.n Cheesy
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Apr 22nd, 2004, 9:34am »

....and to think we all knew him when he only had an old Scorpio!!!
IP Logged
Boblavens

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 20th, 2005, 7:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

No wonder they appear to be MAD drivers to us!!!

bob
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.