Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 4:24pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Florida Hurricanes and Server Died »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   News
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Florida Hurricanes and Server Died
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Florida Hurricanes and Server Died  (Read 3540 times)
admin
Administrator

The Big Boss

View Profile

Florida Hurricanes and Server Died
« on: Sep 6th, 2004, 11:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Sorry all

Due to the Hurricane the Network Centre was hit and suffered a brown out - that killed the hard disk on the server and as we didn't have a backup (too poor) we lost a lot of the data.

The server and site is now back up and I have ordered some extra hardware so that the sites are backup every night just in case!

Apologies to everyone for the disruption and anyone who joined the site between May and September will need to register again.

Steve
Webmaster
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Florida Hurricanes and Server Died
« Reply #1 on: Sep 7th, 2004, 12:03am »

Steve, Have just re entered details as instructed. Are you aware that the clock is out by 4 hours. Cheers,Simmo
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Lee

2.9 12v ultima the mutts

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Sep 7th, 2004, 12:12am »

hi wondered what had happened looks like i'm a new member again still great site and keep up good work
IP Logged
JohnJ

98 2.3 Ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 6th, 2004, 9:14pm »

Good work Steve, It would be a bit hard to predict a brown out, Ironic loads of people would have been happy to have candle light bulbs but it wrecked the hard drive!  

Its almost unheard of nowadays, In  Donegal Ireland it was a regular occurance,

I think its caused by the loss of one of the phases.
But who cares we are back on untill Ivin comes and blows the site away. Roll Eyes

Very unheard of the possibilty of a 3rd hurricane in as little as a month. Shocked

Cheers
JJ Wink

Ivan is a third hurricane rocketing towards Florida as we speak!
IP Logged
ADroste

S-Type 2.7D SE 2008 replaced Scorpio 2.3 Ult.1998

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 6th, 2004, 9:58pm »

admin,

is there a chance that some of the May to September postings can be recovered; in minimum from the problems section? As far as I remember you used the new provider since May 04. So all what was recovered seems to come from the old provider's server.

I cant believe that the hard disk(s) lost all information.  Off course, I should keep quiet because the site is free of charge up to now. Nevertheless I get a little bit annoyed, if I imagine that in times when RAID controllers and drives become quite inexpensive, a huge amount of know-how is lost only because someone forgot to perform standard precautions. (I.e. emergency power-down and putting the computer(s) in a cellar.)  

Please forgive me, if I am unfair. My excuse is that  I read the storm message just before, and am verry dissapointed about loosing a lot of tips and tricks.

Regards
Armin
IP Logged
Max Payne

Canadian Ford 2.9L user and abuser!

Max_Payne_0001   Elfasto3
View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 6th, 2004, 10:03pm »

nutsty bit of rotton luck.

Oh well. Life goes on.......

Glad I kept some of my PM relies on my computer.

BTW, still looking for the intake manifold...... Undecided
IP Logged

1987 Ford Ranger, 2WD, 2.9L V6 12 valve, 3.73 gears, A4LD. 339,954 Km's on her. Edmonton, CANADA
admin
Administrator

The Big Boss

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Sep 7th, 2004, 1:25am »

ADroste

Unfortunately the hard drive was very dead - lots of IO errors as it was mounted and was thus unreadable.

I hold up my hands as being the person who didn't back up the message boards - we had a fairly recent backup of the site on another server but not of the forum.

As I paid for the servers and bandwidth out of my own pocket with the help from the advertizing income and the kind donations of members I ended up without the backup system for the forum.  

Anyway, I have just ordered some backup systems and I am having some backup software written that will backup the site and forum to another hard drive every night so if it happens again we can recover back to the previous day.

We live and learn Smiley

Steve
IP Logged
Richard

Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 7th, 2004, 2:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I've lost over 400 posts, never thought i had done that many in that short time.
I was a full member with nearly 500.
There must have been a lot of info lost there eh Steve Huh
IP Logged
Vulcan

Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 7th, 2004, 7:57am »

When my forum was  running at full speed (no interest in it now) I used to backup the boards, members and messages folders every other night manually using Cute FTP and the whole CGI-bin once a week using the same method, tedious I know.

Only once had a catastrophic failure such as this and it was due to hacking rather than hardware failure.. recovered back to two days previous but still lost over a 100 posts during that time.

I had a trusted member, mate of mine who had ftp privs to the server and he used to help by also by pulling the whole CGI-bin down to his local hard drive every weekend.

It's difficult with the constraints of time and work to always remember to do the backups and an automated system is usually much better. I hope you get it all sorted.

regards

George

IP Logged
rpike

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 7th, 2004, 3:04pm »

Greetings All,

I've just discovered this wonderful website and I'm amazed just how informative and helpful it is !! Smiley

Can I ask possibley the obvious in light of the hardware failures unfortunately suffered most recently? A page on rebuilding door locks has become unavailable in recent days, is this likely to reappear soon or has it gone forever? Huh

Regards,

Richard
IP Logged
Vulcan

Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 7th, 2004, 5:41pm »

I just checked and this page is definately 404.
I am sure that Admin will have a backup of it and replace it in due course.
In the unlikely event that they do not I will have the page as I have the whole site "HTTPweazel'd" on my hard drive.
I saw this site as such a useful resource that I was worried it might someday disappear due to something like this happening and never come back so I pulled it down as a searchable resource on my hdd to be used in an emergency.   Cheesy

Not the forums I hasten to add as they are protected by .htaccess files and cannot be seen from the web. So I can't help with the lost posts.
IP Logged
rpike

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 8th, 2004, 11:06am »

Vulcan,

Thanks for the response.

Seeing as though I was halfway through rebuilding a new barrel kit (£27+vat) when the site went down I'm kinda stuck, having destroyed the old lock in taking it apart and now looking at a gaping hole where the new one should be fitted.   Embarassed

Would really appreciate you digging that rebuild info off your hard drive, not knowing when the site will be back up to full speed. If possible can you email it?

Cheers,

Richard
IP Logged
Fitzy

WILMAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Sep 8th, 2004, 4:23pm »

I know we are all upset at losing some posts due to the Florida hurricanes, but remember our posts are insignificant compared to the people of Florida who have lost just about everything they own and some poor soles actually lost their lives during these storms.  

So what the heck who cares about losing some posts the sites back up and we can always start the posts again and enjoy the banter that went with them, good work admin, keep it up.

Fitzy   Wink Grin Wink

p.s. " ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE" DE DUM, DE DUM DE DUM DE DUM.
IP Logged

DON'T KNOW HOW OR WHY I DO IT......BUT I LOVE IT...........
Vulcan

Email

« Reply #13 on: Sep 8th, 2004, 5:48pm »

on Sep 8th, 2004, 11:06am, rpike wrote:
Vulcan,

Thanks for the response.

Seeing as though I was halfway through rebuilding a new barrel kit (£27+vat) when the site went down I'm kinda stuck, having destroyed the old lock in taking it apart and now looking at a gaping hole where the new one should be fitted.   Embarassed

Would really appreciate you digging that rebuild info off your hard drive, not knowing when the site will be back up to full speed. If possible can you email it?

Cheers,

Richard

Sent you a mail.....

George
IP Logged
admin
Administrator

The Big Boss

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Sep 8th, 2004, 6:19pm »

Vulcan  

That's great and we don't have a backup of those recent pages so can you zip them up and email them to me - I can then transfer the content across to the site.

Cheers

Steve
webmaster@fordscorpio.co.uk
IP Logged
Vulcan

Email

« Reply #15 on: Sep 8th, 2004, 6:28pm »

Hi Steve, no problems I can zip any of the pages you like, if you give me an idea of all the recent pages you want they'll be on their way asap.
I haven't been through the whole site to see what is missing but the doorlockbld file seems to be the only one I can see. If there are any more then I can send them all at the same time.

Regards
George
IP Logged
JohnJ

98 2.3 Ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Sep 9th, 2004, 11:30am »

Hold you hat on Florida Ivan has been upgraded to a cat 5 hurricane and is supposed to hit downtown florida head on. there are hundreds of thunderstorms surrunding the eye wall.

It has sustained winds of 175mph Shocked

Hope the site sticks this one out.

All the best to the poor people in its wake.

Regards  
JJ
IP Logged
Richard

Email

« Reply #17 on: Sep 9th, 2004, 12:33pm »

on Sep 7th, 2004, 2:10am, Richard wrote:
I've lost over 400 posts, never thought i had done that many in that short time.
Steve Huh

Well the posting number has returned back as it was but i can't see any old posts, Were they lost or did you manage to recover any of them ?.
IP Logged
JohnJ

98 2.3 Ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Sep 9th, 2004, 1:02pm »

My posting number was over 480 before the storm, mine is not back
IP Logged
Max Payne

Canadian Ford 2.9L user and abuser!

Max_Payne_0001   Elfasto3
View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Sep 9th, 2004, 5:24pm »

on Sep 9th, 2004, 11:30am, JohnJ wrote:
Hold you hat on Florida Ivan has been upgraded to a cat 5 hurricane and is supposed to hit downtown florida head on. there are hundreds of thunderstorms surrunding the eye wall.

It has sustained winds of 175mph Shocked

Hope the site sticks this one out.

All the best to the poor people in its wake.

Regards  
JJ

ADMINS:

Is there anything I can do to backup files to assist the site? I do have some space on my hardrive.
IP Logged

1987 Ford Ranger, 2WD, 2.9L V6 12 valve, 3.73 gears, A4LD. 339,954 Km's on her. Edmonton, CANADA
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.