Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 2:41pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Car Insurance. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   News
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Car Insurance.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Car Insurance.  (Read 5398 times)
Phil_Waller

GSO Person

View Profile

Car Insurance.
« on: Sep 29th, 2004, 4:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello,

My first real topic in here as a new Scorpio owner.. Rather than having to be teacher all of the time over at the GSO Forums...

Anyway, I am sure this has been discussed before, I know it has on the GSO site, I am trying to get good value for money insurance quotes for the 2.3 Ultima that I am picking up on Saturday.

I have been quoted from £420 - £700 by various insurers. I know there is a difference in cover by some..

I just wondered if there was any recomendation. A month ago I would have recomended the AA but they have let me down badly. Last year I had a 24v Granada and to change the car to a 2.3 Ultima they want another £100 on the quote!

My cheapest quote so far is First Alternative at £417.00

I am 30 and have been drining since I was 18 and have the equivilent no claims record. The rest of my license is clean. Car parked on a drive in an easy going suberb.

Do you think that is as cheap as it will go for someone of my age and the type of car?

Thanks

P
IP Logged

1998Scorpio 2.3i 16v Ultima

craig

Email

Re: Car Insurance.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29th, 2004, 4:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

hi phil..

all i can say is that i pay £335 (fully comp) with norwich union direct (not through a broker),it was £287 untill my "diagnosis",i also have the full no claims bonus,i also drive the 2.3 ultima...
dont know if this helps you..

regards

craig..
IP Logged
Phil_Waller

GSO Person

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Sep 29th, 2004, 5:21pm »

Thanks Craig - I have tried them out and they are quoting £597 - I have had a tweak and I cant get it down anymore.

Are you much older than me - did you get a quote online or on the phone?

P
IP Logged

sparrrky

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Sep 29th, 2004, 5:33pm »

Hi Phil,  

I pay £372 for fully comp, it includes protected no claims bonus and also covers the wife fully comp, this includes an accident she had 3 years ago. and motoring legal protection,( £16.99) shes 29 (im 34) the car is a 2.9 12v ultima...and the company is esure, you can get it it cheaper by going online and paying in full, i however pay via d/d and of course im charged for this facility!  
hope this helps
regards mark.
ps. can anyone roughly tell me (by careful town driving) how many miles roughly i can expect off a full tank?
IP Logged
john.n

I love my cossie

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 29th, 2004, 5:36pm »

Try Tescos, they do some good deals.john.n Wink
IP Logged
Phil_Waller

GSO Person

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Sep 29th, 2004, 5:43pm »

I dont know why but Esure wiont quote me. Apparently I dont fit into their acceptance criteria...

I dont understand that. Clean license 10 years NCD, fully comp with protection.. What more do they want.. Do I have to be 30 or over?

I am only 29 at the mo.
IP Logged

Phil_Waller

GSO Person

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Sep 29th, 2004, 5:47pm »

Ahh - If I am 30 they will have me but FistAlernative seems to be the way to go - they are still cheaper.
IP Logged

craig

Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 29th, 2004, 6:43pm »

hi again phil

i'm 38 ( Embarassed),and got the quote on the phone,ive been with them for 4 years now,every time i get the renewal each year (and it always goes up),i phone them up to complain (honestly),and each year for my persevernce (and possibly sheer cheek Wink Wink),they always knock a little off.....
this i found rather strange,phoned them up and asked to have wifey put on the insurance as a learner with a provisional license,my actual premium WENT DOWN  Huh,they told me that even though amanda was a learner (aged 37 BTW shhhhhhhhh Wink),i was a lesser risk because we are a married couple  Huh Huh Huh Huh

personally i think they just make up these figures,and if you have the nerve to haggle,i think they have some margins to play with....

good luck

craig..
IP Logged
Lee_allen

Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 29th, 2004, 6:50pm »

Phil

I have just renewed mine £397 for fully comp plus legal cover and protected no claims!

thought this was a decent deal and this included having the boss on there as well, looks like you best get married mate to get the price down!! Wink

R

Lee
IP Logged
Lee_allen

Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 29th, 2004, 6:51pm »

oops it was with direct line!
IP Logged
phuturephantasy

Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 29th, 2004, 6:53pm »

I am 35 with 1 yrs no claims (been driving for a year now - wahey !) I have a Scorpio 24v Cossie and I am now paying AXAdirect £440 Fully Comp - cheapest by a mile = try this website, Very good -  

http://www.insuresupermarket.com/motor/default.asp
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 29th, 2004, 8:48pm »

Hi Phil.
I'm now 35 (GULP!) and also tried e-sure, although I think it was the year before last. Anyway, just like you, I didn't fit their criteria. It seems a squeaky clean record counted for nothing.
I must have tried every company going, but finished up with Tesco in the end. 480-something on the Cossie.
And when comparing yourself to Craig, don't forget that your postcode will make a difference. Whereas we're near 'the smoke', Craig's from the tranquil west country. No car theft down there surely Wink
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Sep 29th, 2004, 9:10pm »

hi there

try http://www.elephant.co.uk

as cheap as they get! Grin

and that's without any discount! Shocked Sad
IP Logged
Ultima_Bloke

Ex Ultima Hatchback Owner

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Sep 29th, 2004, 9:53pm »

Hullo all, as a 29 y/o, scorp 2.0i driver, i find zurich direct 2 b the best deal each year since ive had my scorp!! I always phone round, each year, playin 1 company against another, but still zurich, come up trumps 4 me!!!
IP Logged
Vulcan

Email

« Reply #14 on: Sep 30th, 2004, 12:17am »

I insure both cars (2.9 Scorp and 1.6 16v Orion) for both me and Kerry, who is a new driver only passed 5 months ago, fully comprehensive with £150 excess for £700. Norwich Union through Swinton,  I see it as fairly reasonable as when I tried other insurers I couldn't get it under a thou... I have tried everywhere.. Grin  

All got to do with postcodes apparently....  Huh

btw I am 45 with a full no claims bonus for eons...
IP Logged
Steve_S

1997 scorpio ultima 2.9 24v lpg

stevexxxuk2001  
View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Sep 30th, 2004, 12:56am »

WWW.tesco.com

They insure my cossie for about £330 full comp
IP Logged

Steve S
Fitzy

WILMAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Sep 30th, 2004, 1:56pm »

I'm with Norwich Union Direct, £427 fully comp 3 yrs no claims and 3 points includes me wife Angie too.  Was with Churchill but they couldn't even match this with TPFT.  BTW i have got a £320 voluntary excess on policy and free legal cover, best i could find no one else could get within £150 of this price.

Premiums are all based on postcode, age, no claims, points, obviously type of car ie: engine size and security features, whether its parked on the road or garage or drive or even private carpark.  When i was doing mine it got cheaper when i volunteered a higher excess, said it was parked in private residents car park and included wife on policy, you are classed as safer if you are marrried.  

Plus it also depends on the time of day and how the companies shares are doing on the stock market, read this in Auto express magazine few months ago, they tried the same five companies with exactly same details at 9am, 11am, 1pm, 3pm and 6pm and the premium varied by as much as £300 across the day, when they later interviewed the companies involved they explained why the price varied so much and the main factor was the stock market, also if they have a bad day with a few claims going against them that will also push the price up, so overall it is really a lottery as to what price you get on the day.

HTH

Fitzy   Wink Grin Wink
IP Logged

DON'T KNOW HOW OR WHY I DO IT......BUT I LOVE IT...........
wumpster

Email

« Reply #17 on: Sep 30th, 2004, 5:30pm »

wished mine was as low as 700 i use mine for taking company executives about and mine in a 1,865 rip off or what
IP Logged
bubbles

Scorpio Ultima Estate

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Oct 1st, 2004, 9:22pm »

Hello,
I pay £325 Fully Comp with Norwich Union Direct for a 2.3 Ultima Auto Estate. Includes my wife, protected no claims, and legal services.  
I do have a fairly high excess of £320 which reduced it a little more.
IP Logged
Phil_Waller

GSO Person

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 7:46am »

Have signed up with First Alternative. They were the cheapest at £417 after trying about 15 different places..

Ironic - I will be 30 in a months time when a lot of these companies will offer me cheaper insurance and some of the ones that wont quote me will..
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.