Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 4:28pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Vulcan for sale ?? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   News
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Vulcan for sale ??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Vulcan for sale ??  (Read 773 times)
admin
Administrator

The Big Boss

View Profile

Vulcan for sale ??
« on: Nov 2nd, 2004, 4:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2979&it em=5530699633&rd=1

Hmm, I guess it's a wind up but it might impress the neighbours Wink

Steve
IP Logged
daven

Email

Re: Vulcan for sale ??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 2nd, 2004, 4:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Already posted Steve - in off topic section Wink

Daven
IP Logged
Vulcan

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 2nd, 2004, 5:27pm »

I don't think it's a wind up... or wasn't intended to be originally. If you check out what else the guy is selling it appears to be anything on the airfield that isn't bolted down. Think they must be winding the place up.
 Roll Eyes
IP Logged
john.n

I love my cossie

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 2nd, 2004, 7:21pm »

I cant beleive you hav,nt put in a bid Vulcan!! john.n Cheesy
IP Logged
Vulcan

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 2nd, 2004, 11:04pm »

Hehehe... yeah I might have done, if the price had stayed in a reasonable area.. but then ..where would I have put it??

It's perfectly acceptable for the general public to own old decommisioned RAF planes... Jeremy Clarkson has a Lightning on his drive I believe.. (may not be a Lightning.. my memory is vague, I just remember the show when they put it there and the nosewheel locked up and gouged up his lawn making his wife well upset).

This is why I thought it was a real auction rather than a p**take.. sadly this particular bird is in such bad condition that i think if you tried to disassemble her for transport big parts would just disappear into a cloud of Aluminium oxide dust!!

Gonna check the Vulcan forums to see if they know that it's up for auction or any more details..  

EDIT:
done a bit of looking about and apparently this auction is legit!! Copied the text below from a website..
B.2 XL391 at Blackpool Airport, 16th May 2002; Catherine Adams B.2 XL426 at Southend, 7th May 2004; author  
Now a rather sadder story... XL391, above, is the example at Blackpool Airport here in the UK. Unfortunately the sea air of Blackpool and the northern weather have not been kind to her. The exhaust cowlings are gone and the engine mounts are rusting fast; the landing gear is increasingly unsafe (the nose leg is actually cracked) and is sinking into the sandy soil. The c o c k pit is open to the public for an entrance fee but most of the instruments and controls including both joysticks have been removed, stolen or smashed by vandals. A Vulcan not long for this world... the aircraft is up for sale but has been for some time, with the owner apparently asking a price that is rather too high considering the condition of the aircraft. This Vulcan is not likely to be around for much longer as the local council are unhappy with its condition and want it gone. The airport authorities no longer permit visitors into the aircraft citing safety concerns.  

Site I got it from is here..
http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/vulcan/survivorspics1.html#XL391

and here is the Vulcan Forum and what they are saying about it..
http://www.avrovulcan.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24

Hmm lots more going on here than meets the eye methinks....
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 9:35am »

Vulcan,

Thanks for putting up that Thunder & Lightnings link. Thats a really great site for those of us at a certain age. Wink

Geoff
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Nov 9th, 2004, 12:09am »

You may be interested to know that the Vulcan is to be put in the beer garden of the Snipe Inn at Dukenfield, Tameside according to the Manchester Evening News. Even more appropriate is that the phrase "sniping" is used on EBay to describe a last minute bid which wins the auction....just what he did apparently!!

Baz
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.