Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 6:31pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Top Gear? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   News
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Top Gear?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Top Gear?  (Read 1343 times)
darton

Email

Top Gear?
« on: Nov 14th, 2004, 8:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Is it just me? or has top gear moved a little too up market for the masses? Stealth boats and Zonders,whatever next,the latest motor from Mars maybe!no, a contest between an Astin martin Vanquish s and a Ferrari 575 no less,in the same programe!
  Would it be possible for the top gear producers to make a New show for dreamers, and the top 1% of the richest car buyers in Brittan called "Top gear Dreams"? and leave the rest of us mortals with a show about cars that we all buy and rely on like it first started out as?
    Your views?
         Darton.
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

Re: Top Gear?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14th, 2004, 8:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Yep, I agree. All way out of reach for most (if not all) of us. Tonights edition was a perfect example and I kind of gave up and watched the Band Aid programme on BBC3.
OK, its nice to dream sometimes (the Ferrari tonight was my fave) but they need to keep it real.
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
darton

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 14th, 2004, 9:11pm »

Cheers Paul!
      If I can get enought slightly enraged people to reply I will e-mail Top gear with a veiw to making a spin off program for the masses(or the dreamers) depending on how they see the lay of the land! This will proboble result in being totally ignored, but at least I tried!
       Keep them coming!
        (said the bishop to the spinster)
           Darton Grin
IP Logged
craig

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 15th, 2004, 7:14am »

have we not had a similar conversation regarding one "jeremy clarkson",i for one totally agree with you darton,and pauls comments to boot,however did refrain from turning over,fell asleep instead Wink.......
what's everyone's opinion on 5th gear,i think that show is a little more aimed at the massess,but the presenters are a little dare i say "dull".........
IP Logged
David_South_West

24V............ .Goodness

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15th, 2004, 12:28pm »

Couldn't Top Gear spend a little more time on cars that cost less than £100,000.....and as for Clarkson I hate to see cars abused even if it is a 500bhp Dodge Viper.He could show how fast it is without doing silly teenager wheelies and making the clutch plate smoke!  
IP Logged
Neil W

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Nov 15th, 2004, 2:23pm »

I agree that Top Gear has long been out of touch with "ordinary" people who actually buy their cars to use every day.  I support the idea of a letter to the BBC if there is enough support from this site.

Clarkson is also completely out of touch with reality if he thinks we all drive like he does - or that it is appropriate to do so! Angry Many of us actually have some respect for our cars, and wallets, so don't do max acceleration take-offs and wheelie turns that remove several thousand miles worth of rubber off our tyres. But then, they all think they are being clever when actually they are being very childish and setting a bad example.  Embarassed

Neil W.
IP Logged

1998 Scorpio Ultima Cosworth facelift saloon, reg S896VOG. Sold Feb 2010. Now own Mercedes-Benz E320 CDi.
Richard

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 15th, 2004, 5:31pm »

I think admin sums it up here,

http://forum.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=di splay;num=1100392579
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 15th, 2004, 7:52pm »

Agreed, with the first point. And all the others.  

Problem is most new cars are so very dreary. Take the part from last night's show, where Clarkson talked very briefly about the Honda Jazz and the... something else, I was thankful he didn't go into too much detail.  

Super cars are nice. Yes. The Aston was a good colour. So there is a problem. I think they should talk more about old cars. The report they did on 'cars for less than a hundred quid' last series was great. The Volvo was stunning. Mmm. More old cars talk says I says I!  

Speaking of Volvos... I really really really want a 480 ES, M reg preferably, ... not too fussy about the colour. Anyone?  Tongue

d

IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
phuturephantasy

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 15th, 2004, 9:39pm »

Speaking of Speaking of Volvos Dave, I have a rather nice (if you like that kind of thing) Volvo 850 T5 Estate for sale at the moment - Craig has driven this so can vouch for it's lively performance etc. It's on ebay now here - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=450368 6925&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 15th, 2004, 10:18pm »

Hmm nice motor, phutphant! Aye I like Volvos. Or, ovlovs as I sometimes call them. They're nice.  A friend's family has an ex police T5 and it's serious stuff. I'll watch the auction but it's outta my league i'm afraid : /

Good luck with it!  

d
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 15th, 2004, 10:25pm »

Craig... I watched 5th Gear tonight, for the first time in ages. It really is how Top Gear used to be - much more realistic.
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
craig

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 6:44am »

paul

glad to got to get a "glimpse",not too bad is it.ok the presenters are a bit "bland" sometimes,but your qoute "like top gear used to be" pretty much sums it up Wink Wink,more down to earth shall we say Wink Wink Wink

and yes i have driven the volvo,and yes i still have the stains to prove it ( Grin),very,very nice car indeed,all the best selling it graeme,and hope you dont get "arsed" Angry about on e-bay..
IP Logged
bazw

fast, cheap and works you can have 2

bazopelgt   bazopelgt
View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 6:34pm »

you've got to remember that when clarckson left before the team left (VB-H TIFF and wilson ) just about put the show off the air because they were crap and there was little of the glam cars you get now to get people to watch
its a light entertainment show now for teenages and old sad farts like me to watch  Grin
you also get more launches of short run glam cars than rep cars  and who on this earth dreams of owning a rep car!!
lust my opinion  Smiley
IP Logged

the wright brothers were not the first to fly - just the first not to crash
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 7:09pm »

It  seems  that  Clarkson  and  his  loathsome   sidekicks  have  still  to   reach  puberty. It's  the  only reason  that I can  think of  why  a   50  year old   man  stilll   gets   excited  going  fast    in   a £500 000  car  and   is  orgasmic   at  the   roar  of  an  V10  engine. I  grew  out  of  that  rubbish  when   I  realised   that   smoking  tyres   wear  out   a  lot  quicker  than  non  smoking  tyres  and  cost   money  to  replace  ,  and   driving  everywhere   at   5000rpm
f***s   your  engine   quite   quickly.  We   probably  have  Clarkson   and  his  ilk  to  thank  for  the  increasingly  loutish   behaviour  of  younger  drivers.

And ,  anyway,  driving  fast  is  soooo    vulgar .  

Scorpios   don't  do  fast ,  they  glide.
IP Logged
Richard

Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 3:03am »

Yes but i think the difference here is that it is not his car or his money that is paying for it, so given the chance i think we would all have a go. It is just the programme that is not real to most of us normal minimum wage blokes, Grin.
IP Logged
bazw

fast, cheap and works you can have 2

bazopelgt   bazopelgt
View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 10:55am »

mr f. it gets worse hes only 44 Shocked
and i dont think the grandad glides its more glacial than that  Embarassed
IP Logged

the wright brothers were not the first to fly - just the first not to crash
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.