Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 6:34pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Repair Estimate for B O W »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   News
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Repair Estimate for B O W
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Repair Estimate for B O W  (Read 1207 times)
The Captain

Email

Repair Estimate for B O W
« on: Nov 16th, 2004, 8:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Well Guys - The insurance assessor have written off the car - The good news - they can repair it to its former glory as a private contract - If I would like to have it done  Cheesy

The bad news - wait for it THIRTEEN THOUSAND POUNDS - Plus VAT  Undecided Undecided Undecided Huh

Unlucky for some 13 - Declined the offer

The incident happened on the 13th Nov as well

Captain
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

Re: Repair Estimate for B O W
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 9:00am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Ouch,

Sorry to hear about your situation Michael.

This is not a lot of comfort at the moment, but people have always said that the Scorpio is great value,  that quote just confirms what we get for the money.

It also says something about what we get or don't get for our insurance premiums. Presumably they will now make you an offer.  

Hope it works out OK for you.

Geoff
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
phuturephantasy

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 9:14am »

So I guess the Insurance company are going to give you a figure close to £13,000 then - er NOT !

If only..

Really hope you find another Scorp to match the standard of your original beloved.

No doubt see you at Weston Scorpio Mare in the not too distant phuture
IP Logged
craig

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 1:37pm »

Shocked13k + the vat Shocked

oh well michael,i suppose thats a "non goer",hope you get a "reasonable" payout,and as everyone else has already stated...
all the best in your quest for a replacement Smiley Smiley Smiley
regards

craig..
IP Logged
john.n

I love my cossie

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 7:26am »

When you finally get sorted Michael, i guess you will call your new/next Scorpio- Phoenix! Regards, john.n Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Just Call Me Captain

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 9:00am »

Apparently - the engineer will call me today and make me an offer.

The offer will be based on private sale price of the same car - garage prices are not taken into consideration - plus only prices are allowed within a 40 mile radius Huh told prices differ by location Huh Is that true - If it is - its a new one on me - and the Glasses guide will be used - whatever that is

Then after considering all of the above - the offer will be made.

I was talking to my brother yesterday - and he said - if I dont like the offer - I can insist on them finding me the same car - ie - replacing the vehicle - is that correct ??

Captain
IP Logged
daven

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 9:13am »

Glasses guide is the trade publication listing secondhand car values at different rate depending on condition an milage!

Having been in a similar situation I would find pictures of cars for sale in the similar condition as yours at a price you feel is fair (which to be honest is almost impossible!)

With this information you can try and 'prove' to the insurers that it really was worth what you say it is!

My estimate came from the midlands, which considering I am in South East London seemed a bit unfair, so its interesting they have a 40 mile radius for you!

I did get a bit more out of them than they first offered but still ended up out of pocket, which grated a bit as I had been with them for 13+ years with no claims at all an they were arguing over £500 Angry (so moved to another insurer afterwards!)

Good luck

Daven
IP Logged
Vulcan

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 12:19pm »

There is an online Glass guide here..
http://www.glass.co.uk/uk/en/

and Parkers here....
http://www.parkers.co.uk/

It costs £2.95 to value a used car at Glasses, Parkers online do it for nothing.  

I have used the Glass guide and the Parkers guide in the past but I think that if memory serves me correct the "off the shelf" version at the newsagents only covers cars up to 5 years old.

George
IP Logged
Fitzy

WILMAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 2:23pm »

When my 5 Series BMW was written off earlier this year i was in the same situation, bet they wont give me what I think its worth.  unfortunately you don't get what you think its worth or what they think its worth, all they are legally obliged to pay out is the market price so that you can in theory go out and buy exactly the same car, same mileage and specification.  They will work out what the mileage should be based on the age and the standard average yearly milegae, this you have no control over the insurance companies all agree on an average yearly mileage regardless of what you say or can prove.  Remember though never accept their first offer or even the second one, its like when you buy a house never offer what you can afford, if they offer less and you accept they have saved themselves money so always haggle.  The Glasses guide is the most up to date guide out there and is the BIBLE (HOLY GRAIL) for car traders, they won't refer to or take any prices from any other publication.

HTH

Fitzy   Wink Grin Wink
IP Logged

DON'T KNOW HOW OR WHY I DO IT......BUT I LOVE IT...........
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.