Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 6:20am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 2.9 24v Scorpio Newb here »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   News
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   2.9 24v Scorpio Newb here
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2.9 24v Scorpio Newb here  (Read 1333 times)
waynem325

98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile

2.9 24v Scorpio Newb here
« on: May 27th, 2005, 2:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi guys,

Just thought I would take a moment to introduce myself and say hello.
I've just bought a '95 2.9 24v Ultima due to collect tomorrow. I just can't wait-i've been after one for so long and finally........(I feel like a kid on Christmas eve)

I really wanted to say a huge thanks to everyone involved in the site as I've been reading many many posts/buyers guides etc over the last few weeks. All in all-the advice on here came in extremely handy when buying and I just hope that I got me a good one.

I forgot to look for a few things once inside the car, but I checked the auto fluid and it was a browny/red colour but smelt very "minerally" (If thats a wordHuh)
The TCS and ABS lights lit up when on the test drive, though I was assured by the dealer that it would be looked at/sorted before I came to collect the car. (The pads and discs looked in bloody good nick, and no vibration under breaking was noticed)
All the internal electrics seemed to operate as they should, and the c/c is nice and cold.
She's got 88k on the clock with a fully stamped service book every 10k miles and a heap of receipts.  

It all seems good but I guess only time will tell.

I live in Gosport, Hants- so will be looking at any of the Southern meets in the future and hope to see maybe a few of you there!

Wayne
IP Logged

After years of wanting I finally got!!!!
craig

Email

Re: 2.9 24v Scorpio Newb here
« Reply #1 on: May 27th, 2005, 3:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

HI AND WELCOME...

when you do pick the car up,make sure the dealer/seller has checked out and rectified the abs and tc lights coming on,probably dirty sensors i would guess,but good luck with it all and enjoy..!!!!!

craig
IP Logged
Danny_R

97 Ford Crown Vic 4.6L V8 ,88 Mercury GM 5.0L V8

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 27th, 2005, 4:21pm »

Hi Wayne,

Welcome to the board. Like Craig has already said, be sure to check the lights on the dash before you take the car and make sure they do actually illuminate and extinguish when you start the car. If they don’t illuminate I would suspect the dealer removed the led's (like they did on mine).

Anyhow welcome and enjoy the car!

Regards

Danny_R
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: May 27th, 2005, 4:30pm »

Hi Wayne,

welcome to the site!

Just to reiterate, if the lights come on then go off when you start the car, but come on again when moving it is likely to be a sensor at fault - a rear sensor at that as they do both ABS + TC. Our 1996 24v did this a few weeks ago, was just dirty sensors.

Enjoy!

Cheers  Cheesy
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
craig

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 27th, 2005, 5:39pm »

EXCELLENT REPLY BY DANNY AS WELL,MAKE SURE THEY DO ILLUMINATE AND EXTINGUISH,I FORGOT THE REMOVING THE BULB/LED BIT.HAS BEEN KNOWN..!!

ps..HAPPY BIRTHDAY DANNY... Wink Wink Wink
IP Logged
waynem325

98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: May 27th, 2005, 6:10pm »

Sound advice-cheers fella's.

I keep reading previous posts and get excited knowing how great the car is....then I get really worried because of all the horror stories.
I just wanna get my hands on the keys to put me outta my misery.
Atleast (hopefully the ABS/TCS prob should be an easy one to fix...?

I haven't actually heard from the garage tonight like they said I would, so I'm guessing there's some kind of delayHuh??

I'm getting paranoid   Huh Huh Shocked Undecided Wink Smiley Cheesy Grin
IP Logged

Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: May 27th, 2005, 6:55pm »

Wayne,

just remember that most people only post on here when they have a problem. The horror stories of timing chains snapping etc. don't happen to every car!! I had an S reg with 112000 on the clock that was as quiet as a mouse in slippers; I get more noise from this one with 69000 on it. I have owned these for about 3 years now and apart from the usual servicing etc. and stuff I wanted to do, I have never been let down and had to fit front discs to both cars and a couple iof radiators. Not bad overall I would say

Good luck

Baz
IP Logged
ren

95 N 2.9 24v Cossie Estate

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: May 27th, 2005, 9:38pm »

Hi

Welcome to the site

Ren
IP Logged
Danny_R

97 Ford Crown Vic 4.6L V8 ,88 Mercury GM 5.0L V8

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: May 27th, 2005, 10:58pm »

Hey Craig, Cheers Mate Cool How i could murder a REAL pint right now followed by a ruby murray Tongue Tongue Tongue
IP Logged
waynem325

98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: May 28th, 2005, 1:31pm »

Thanks Baz (& Ren and a belated happy birthday to Danny)

Is it highly recommended to use a Ford Main Dealer for sevicing and repairs, or would your average run-of-the-mill garage be sufficiently knowledgable to cater for the Scorpio's needs? I usually steer clear of FMD's whenever possible, but I wouldn't want to trust the "average Joe" mechanic if the car needed proper attention etc?  

I'm pretty much capable to carry out minor servicing like oil and filter changes, air filters and spark plugs etc etc but anything else requiring major tech/mech skills and pneumatic ramps etc I'll draw the line and send it to someone who'd know what to do!

As soon as I get the car I want to change the oil and filter, though more importantly (I think?) the auto box oil mainly to get a relatively good idea on what kind of condition the box is in.

Watch out for new threads starting sooooooooon...... Wink
IP Logged

craig

Email

« Reply #10 on: May 28th, 2005, 2:39pm »

when you do the oil and filter change,make sure you use a genuine ford filter and obviously synthetic oil....
IP Logged
ChrisB

Without a scorp !

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jun 3rd, 2005, 2:16pm »

Hi Wayne and welcome,

So we shall be expecting you at the Black Dog on the 21st of June then  Cheesy

Have you had it ODB'd yet ?? if not there will be one available at the meet on the 21st and we can suck its brians out and see what things it knows  Wink if anything.

Look forward to seeing you , if you need directions either PM me or I think they are under the southern area meet thread.  

ChrisB
IP Logged
Kenboy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jun 3rd, 2005, 2:49pm »

Wishing you many miles of happy scorpio trouble free motoring and a warmwelcome to the site.

regards kenboy
IP Logged
waynem325

98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jun 3rd, 2005, 11:32pm »

Thanks again guys, certainly for the swift info, but more importantly the warm welcome.
Unfortunately I'm not yet in the Scorpio "gang" as there have been a few "unforseen problems" with the car at the dealers. Firstly (the day I went to view it) the radiator had a bad leak. Determined not to be put off as the rest of the car was fine, I accepted the offer of a test drive. (after the rad was topped up)  
Everything went well and everything worked as it should, the auto box felt smooth and the engine sounded fine. (A nice little roar with a heavy right foot!)  
I was told a new rad was ordered for the following day and it would be ready for collection the day after (Saturday).  So I paid a £100 deposit and "skipped" away with a grin on my face.  Grin

I called on Sat. to arrange a suitable time etc but was greeted with more bad news-this time the water pump needed replacing! (with a genuine Ford part no less!!!)  
"Give us a call on Wednesday and it should be ready for you" I was told.......guess what......Still not ready-Ford had sent the Scorpio pump, but not for the Cosworth! (Is there a difference?) There may be problems aquiring a Cosworth pump so there could be an even longer delay!  
I've gotta call them tomorrow (Saturday) to see if its ready, but I have a funny feeling it won't beHuh
I'm unsure if I'm getting paranoid but I don't like the sound of it. The guy at the garage seems genuine (don't they all??) and the car is getting a few new parts, but is this just a coincidence or is it a sign of things to come if I bought itHuh?

What do you all reckon?

Wayne

CHRISB-where the hell is "Black dog"  Smiley
IP Logged

ChrisB

Without a scorp !

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jun 4th, 2005, 2:24pm »

Welcome to the open wallet surgery club  Grin

Well its not really that bad but you have to remember these cars are devishly complicated but do remember there is loads and loads of people here who will be able to save you £1000's in maintenace.
This site is way better than any Haynes manual you will find on a vehicle ( not that there will ever be one for the scorp  Wink )

You will find details of our meet here  
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=disp lay;num=1100377992;start=0#0
As before if you need directions drop me a Private message ( PM )  

These cars can be a little scary to own but that is far out weighed by the pleasure of actually owning one, if that makes sence  Cheesy

Hope it all goes well and you are able to pick it up soon, rads going duff on 24v's are a known issue but I dont know about the water pump.

ChrisB
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Jun 4th, 2005, 3:25pm »

Wayne,

not 100% sure if the 24v water pump is different from the 12v but would not surprise me. When our 24v was in for some work, including new water pipes, the wrong parts were sent 3 times before I went and got them myself!!

Basically, just keep an eye on it. Think of it this way, the chap selling it could have just bunged a new radiator in and kept quiet about the water pump. It may just be a coincidence but if they keep in touch and let you know what is going on then don't worry just yet! Smiley

Cheers
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
waynem325

98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Jun 4th, 2005, 4:15pm »

total bummer bout the Haynes manual. That was 1 of the first things I found out about the Scorpio when I initially became interested in them. Often wondered what I'd do when the servicing came around (Been a tight ass means I try and stay clear of garage labour prices) then I found this site!!! Knowing there are so many people on here who know the car inside out made me feel a lot more confident in buying the Scorpio, which is what gave me the final little push to go out and buy one!!! (Cheers guys)

As for my car-I've now been told it WILL be ready on Tuesday at the latest......but I won't hold my breath!

And count me in for the Black Dog meet. (Obviously if I have the car by then  Smiley ) I know where Waltham chase is but not the Black Dog itself so expect a PM in a few days  Wink  Am really keen to see what these OBD leads are all about.

Dave-thanks for the vote of confidence-The manager of the garage seems a really reasonable bloke who appears to be more embarrassed than anything about the whole situation. I can't really blame him for something that isn't his fault and plus he's putting 12 months MOT on her and giving a 3 month warranty for everything!
Can't really say fairer than that!??!

Anyway-watch this space for a follow up on Tuesday and keep those fingers crossed!

Wayne
IP Logged

ChrisB

Without a scorp !

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Jun 5th, 2005, 4:17pm »

Your more than welcome to come along to the meet without a Scorp its not law you bring one  Grin Grin
You can lust over our ones then  Grin
ChrisB
IP Logged
waynem325

98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Jun 5th, 2005, 5:12pm »

on Jun 5th, 2005, 4:17pm, ChrisB wrote:

You can lust over our ones then  Grin
ChrisB

LMAO!!  Smiley

With all due respect I may decline if something goes wrong and I don't end up with the car-it would be like rubbing salt in the wounds!  Sad

Though on the other hand it would be fantastic to see lots of Scorpio's in the flesh and to get a stack of advice on what to look for on the next one I buy  Grin

I shall be there!!
(work permitting  Sad)

IP Logged

martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Jun 6th, 2005, 8:38am »

24v water pump is a one off, only available as a genuine unit from dealers.
Martin
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.