Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 8:19am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Replaced fuel pressure regulator »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   News
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Replaced fuel pressure regulator
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Replaced fuel pressure regulator  (Read 862 times)
Pegasus-2

Email

Replaced fuel pressure regulator
« on: Sep 7th, 2005, 2:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

At last  Cheesy Cheesy

managed to replace the FPR today. Followed Vlads protocol on the site but had to put in an extra step as there was no way to reach it "just by raising the central inlet a couple of inches".

It does only go up a few inches but there was no way I could get my hand in there let alone a 7mm spanner.

So, I removed the rest of the black plastic inlet. This is held in place by 3 bolts with 8mm head size bolts. Trouble is the 3rd is underneath the inlet so you need the correct tool (looks like a screwdriver with 8mm bolt head socket - sorry dont know technical term). Its still tricky, esp putting back in but its do-able and certainly made getting to the FPR a doddle.

Had no real problem removing it - grapped tight with pliers, pulled hard and wiggled (the pliers  Grin) - came out after 30 secs. BEWARE - they'll be some residual fuel leaking out (about 10ml) so try to get a piece of rag in place to soak it up.  

Then pushed the new one in (again, BEWARE, if using pliers dont grip too hard or you might crush the outlet pipe) it didn't 'click' but just seemed to go straight on. All checks were fine.

The FPR costs £47 + P&P from Ford Parts UK (took about 8 weeks to arrive)

I'll put some pix up later and some more info. Whole job takes 90 mins and is very easy really (which is just how I like it  Smiley )

After a few runs I'll check my LTFTs to see if they come down from -10%.

TTFN

Paul
IP Logged
Pegasus

24V Cosworth  Ultima Born: Sept 97, sold Aug 23

View Profile

Re: Replaced fuel pressure regulator
« Reply #1 on: Sep 7th, 2005, 6:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,
just seen this from Vlad who responded to a pm I sent him earlier.  

Quote:
Hi, Paul.

No, there is nothing else that needs removing, and I used no special tools. The bolts had 7mm heads, but I can't remember if I used a spanner or a socket. I had a small 6/7 mm spanner (about 10 cm long) and a long and very thin 7 mm socket, but I can't remember which one I used. I'm not sure "socket" is the right word, I'm not used to all English technical terms. I'm talking about a long, tubular spanner, like this: http://www.anyboard.net/autos/cars/scorpio/posts/439.html

As far as can I remember, access to the bolts was a bit difficult, but not excessively so.  

Removing the regulator from its place was by far more difficult than removing the bolts. I used a regular pair of pliers to grab the tip of the regulator. I accessed it from the front, like in the second last picture in my document. Then I pulled it to the front of the car as hard as I could, while also shaking it in all directions. It took several minutes of sweating and cursing. The tip of the regulator got damaged during this procedure, but that didn't bother me too much since the regulator was going to be replaced anyway. Smiley

If any one else has to do this you now have an option.

Cheers

Paul
IP Logged

Go Go Go ...
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Sep 7th, 2005, 8:09pm »

Well done mate. Must have been the beer last night!!. The tool you describe and mentioned in the other post is known as a 'T' handled nut driver. Best wishes  Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
VladSoare

1995 24V Ghia

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Sep 8th, 2005, 2:51pm »

T handled nut driver... I'll have to remember that... Smiley

I'm glad you've made it, Paul. The "scientific" style of my instructions may create the impression that it's a big deal, but it actually isn't. The Ford documentation stipulates that the inlet manifold should be removed (not a very easy and pleasant job), but now we know better... Smiley

In my case the greatest improvement was immediate. The moment I started the engine I knew my problem was completely gone. It's true that long term fuel trims needed some time to revert to zero, and several minor improvements (like a smoother gear change) have come over the next few days, but the starting problem (the reason I had replaced the regulator) has disappeared right from the beginning.  

My new pressure regulator was EUR 100. Forget about exchange rates, they have nothing to do with Ford's prices. Smiley But then mine took only 7 days to arrive...
IP Logged
Pegasus-2

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 8th, 2005, 10:18pm »

Hi again,

Vlad you're description is very good and easy to follow.  Smiley  As for removing the manifold - I thought of that but 1 of the 6 bolts sits right under the TPS - very awkward to get at. Anyway, may have needed to replace the gasket so your method is best. Went for drive today - hot start was immediate but I stalled when I put full lock on - probably due to LTFTs still showing -10% - I'll give it a few more miles and report later.

Here's some more info for those that want to try this at home:

The fuse for the fuel pump sits in the Auxilary fuse box in the back row (looking from front) and is blue, 15 Amp, second from left.

Here's some piccys:

The inlet tube in situ with the 3 bolts (8mm heads)highlighted.

Remove the bottom 1 first - you'll have to raise the central plenum as Vlad describes then use the nut driver. The top 2 are a doddle but the right hand bolt is threaded onto a 8mm nut. There's an elliptical "O" ring that creates the air tight seal that sits in the inlet tube - its quite happy to be left alone.

Here's the plenum without the inlet tube.

The site of the "awkward" bolt is circled. The FPR can now be easily seen (arrowed).

The FPR in situ:

Shows the two 7mm head bolts. Outlet tube is arrowed.

Finally, the fuel rail without the FPR.

I think that's it. Hope this is helpful to anyone else wanting to do this job. Not too hard at all Grin

Paul
IP Logged
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Sep 11th, 2005, 1:25am »

Paul,
Thanks for that.  May I use those pix on the page?
IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
Pegasus-2

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 11th, 2005, 8:45pm »

Hi Eric, see your pm.

Also, on pic 1 that tube (whatever it is and does  Huh) needs to be removed. Its a bit of a tug and a wiggle if you don't have the correct tool (I don't) and replacing it can be equally strenuous but not so much that it would give anyone a problem - just needs patience and perseverance.  

Also, I didn't need to remove the throttle linkage. I found it fairly easy to get the bolts out

Paul
IP Logged
Cosray

8th Scorpio, 2nd Cosworth: currently '95

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 8:59pm »

Hi Pegasus,

I am looking with awe at your wonderful pics.

Tell me if I am wrong --  is the FRPR sitting at the front of the engine? I mean where the headlights are? Underneath the VIS??

I was under the impression it sits at the awfully difficult to reach firewall end/cabinside of the engine...

Please do enlighten me.  

Ray
IP Logged
Pegasus-2

Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 9:38pm »

Hi Ray,
you're right -it's right under the VIS. In fact, you can even see it with just the top engine cover removed - but you need to be able to recognise it through the small gap  Wink

Paul

IP Logged
Pegasus

24V Cosworth  Ultima Born: Sept 97, sold Aug 23

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Sep 13th, 2005, 12:57pm »

Vlad,

just thinking about this - why do we need to remove the 2 bolts by the throttle quadrant  Undecided. At the time I wondered but didn't try it by leaving them in place - I just followed instructions  Roll Eyes.

Ray, if you try this perhaps you can also answer.

Cheers,

Paul
IP Logged

Go Go Go ...
Cosray

8th Scorpio, 2nd Cosworth: currently '95

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 13th, 2005, 4:19pm »

Hi Pegasus, it is a relief to see it sits at the front of the engine. I must have misread the earlier instructions, thinking it sits at the impossible backside of the engine, somewhere down below the firewall.
I will see my technician about the subject next Thursday and plan a date for replacement. I'd love to do it myself but my back doesn't allow anymore.

Good it worked for you!
Wonderful pictures; I will take them over to my tech.
Ray
IP Logged
VladSoare

1995 24V Ghia

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Sep 20th, 2005, 12:55pm »

Quote:
just thinking about this - why do we need to remove the 2 bolts by the throttle quadrant  . At the time I wondered but didn't try it by leaving them in place - I just followed instructions

To be honest, I can't remember why I removed that metal plate. It may be that I removed more than I actually needed.

If you look at my third picture you'll notice that the by-pass air hose is marked and numbered (no. 8 ). That's because I had removed it during the operation and I initially wrote about it in the document. But when I spell-checked the document before sending it to Eric, it suddenly occured to me: "waaaaaait a minute... why did I remove that?". I realized I had removed it for no reason, so I erased the corresponding step from the instruction list, though unfortunately I hadn't kept a copy of the initial picture, without the arrow. Smiley

Maybe I did the same with the metal plate behind the quadrant. I don't know, I really can't remember.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.