Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 10:35am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Selling My Car :-( »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   News
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Selling My Car :-(
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Selling My Car :-(  (Read 4034 times)
geraghtyg

2001 XG25

View Profile Email

Selling My Car :-(
« on: Jun 30th, 2006, 8:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well I saw a nice car today and have decided to buy it. It's 2001 Hyundai XG25. Black one. Ex demo so is top of the range. Best thing is the great trade in price I got for the Scorpio - €4,500. I couldn't believe it when he offered me that!!! Here are a few pics

OK, that's her in all her glory.  Anyone have any opinions?

I'd like to take this oppurtunity to thank Eric and the team and all the members on here for all your help over the past few years. Without this site, I would have had more trouble.  

Graham

IP Logged

Graham G, Dublin, Ireland
Baw_Flinger

Ex 2.3 owner..... Snif

View Profile

Re: Selling My Car :-(
« Reply #1 on: Jul 3rd, 2006, 8:20am »

Good luck with the new motor Smiley I am in the same boat as well but when it came to trade in, the most I got offerd was £300 for my Scorp and they didnt even look at her. All I got was ' Ah, tsk, theres no money in them mate, worthless...' So you did RATHER well out of that deal I think mate Smiley Does look like a nice ride, good to see you still went for something with an ugly ass Wink Grin
What sized engine does it have?
IP Logged

Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 3rd, 2006, 8:22am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Very nice. Hope you enjoy it.  Smiley
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 3rd, 2006, 8:59am »

Wow! You did extremely well on that trade in (even by my maths  Wink)!

And wow again cos that Hyundai is pretty tasty! Bit like the Scorp I guess, not quite the "norm" so you are sticking with tradition  Wink

Hope you enjoy it  Smiley
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
km449

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 3rd, 2006, 10:49am »

Can see what I'll be getting when "the time comes"!

You must let us know how it compares please

Thanks, Keith
IP Logged
geraghtyg

2001 XG25

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 3rd, 2006, 11:24am »

Thanks everyone - Yeah, she is quite a nice motor and she's bigger than the Scorpio. It's over 6' wide and just a shade over 16' long. Engine is a 2.5 V6 24 valve. And it is seriously silent. It's auto but with shiftronic too where I can push the gear stickup to go up a gear and down to go down a gear....developed by Porsch, of all companies!!! Looking forward to getting and I'll be sure to let ya know how the drive goes. If you go to autotrader and serach for the XG, you'll see loads of them and at a great price. These cars are fully loaded as standard. Chances are you'll only fins XG30's with the 3 litre engine. I think the 2.5 litre was only available in Korea, where they are built. And of course, where the silly car tax system penalises you more for a bigger engine, hence the small engine cars rule in Ireland. Oh, and the car has a nice feature I was not expecting - frameless doors!!! how fancy  Cheesy
IP Logged

km449

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 4th, 2006, 4:20pm »

One of the main buying points for me may be whether the remotes work for more than a week at a time!
IP Logged
RichardMS

More mods coming soon !

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 4th, 2006, 6:46pm »

Doesn't look too bad does it but I would be pimping all the Hyundai bits out of site though Grin Wink
IP Logged

km449

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 7th, 2006, 6:08pm »

Wot news of the XGHuh
IP Logged
geraghtyg

2001 XG25

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 7th, 2006, 6:20pm »

Only got the car today and heading out on the beer so shall give my first comments tomrrow
IP Logged

geraghtyg

2001 XG25

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 8th, 2006, 5:18pm »

Well I had my first run in my car today.....driving to work unfortunately  Embarassed

As for the car, all I can say (and not trying cause offence buy saying this) is that it puts the Scorpio to shame.
The car is literally full of toys. When reversing, you can select whether the wing mirrors dont dip, whether just the left one dips or whether both dip. A nice feature. The ignition barrell illuminates as does the door lock, not that I use it as I now have a remote that works properly!!!!When you pull the key from the ignition, the seat slides back as far as it goes to make it easier for you to get out - obviously a car made for the U.S. market!!!! It has a foot operated parking brake too - still have to get used to that as I've already driven a few times, forgetting to release it. Where the handbrake would normally be is a nice wood effect area with two cup holders that pop up slowly when you press on the panel they are hidden under.
There are also two hidden cupholders built in the rear centre armrest.

The climate control is fully automatic and there are vents in the rear too. A button can be pressed on the CC panel and air conditioned air is then passed to the rear.

The doors are frameless - rather unusual for a luxury saloon. And there are no wind leaks or squeeks or rattles as a result. When shutting the doors, the sound emitted is very pleasant and conveys a sense of solidness.

The instrument cluster displays whether you are in P, N, R or D. It also tells you which gear you are in. Gearbox is also shiftronic. Bang the stick to the left and then you can push up to go up a gear and down to go down a gear. Engine is a 2.5L 24v V6 and is ultra smooth and quiet unless you rev it, in which case it gives a very very satisfying growl. Gear changes are not even noticable most of the time - a bloody fantastic gearbox it is. It uses "Fuzzy Logic" whereby it learns your driving style and anticipates when you want to shift. It also know if you are on a downhill slope so it will go down a gear so you can use engine braking.

Fuel tank is 70 litres - the same as the Scorpio. I filled the tank and when I started the engine, it said 404 miles to empty. Now if I actually get 400 miles from it, then that means the car is about 30 - 40% MORE economic than the samller engined 4 cylinder 2.3 Scorpio - I was lucky to get 300 miles from a tank with that.

Oh, one more thing - the suspension is ultra soft. Multi link in the rear too and all shocks are nitrogen filled. This car simply absorbs all the bumps. It feels very American on the road although I'm sure if it is thrown around a corner, there will be considerable lean and roll.

That's all I have to say for now. I'll fill in more info if/as I think of it. Any questions are welcome
IP Logged

km449

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jul 8th, 2006, 6:28pm »

Thanks for that - sounds cool!

Down the line can you give us some feedback re high speed straight line stability in cross winds.

My Ultima Estate is a thing of wonder on motorways no matter what the weather conditions, and is far and away the best car I've ever had for that planted feeling.

Too often I have to go from London to Manchester to collect the wicked witch of the north west (sorry, the mother in law) and the only saving grace is that no matter what the conditions my 2.3 97 is a thing of wonder and always feels completely safe. (Could do with an ejector seat on the passenger side maybe!)

As an annual USA visitor I am comfy with foot operated "handbrakes" (does that make sense)  and I have always liked the slide back facility the seats have to allow easy exit and access.

My other real interest is mpg. My 11 year old has recently won a drama school place that will increase my relatively modest mileage by 1000 miles a month from September. The school trip, a mixture of local roads either end, plus dual carriageway in between, has only shown 20.1 mpg on the Scorpio computer, varying little no matter how many Micras I let go by - and that's in the present warm weather. (You can see where I am going here).

I love my Scorp and all its Ultima toys but with school trips and exchanges on the horizon I am wondering how the XG 30 compares.  

Please convince me its hopeless compared to my Scorp!!!

Keith
IP Logged
geraghtyg

2001 XG25

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Jul 8th, 2006, 6:57pm »

I haven't done any motorway driving yet although will be going home from work via the M50 (Dublin's equivalent of the M25) at 9pm tonight so I will report how it goes although it has been raining heavily all day here so conditions will be quite nasty.
My first tank which I will use will not give true MPG as I have been doing some "playing around" since I got. There is no display telling MPG so I will have to do some calculations upon my next fill-up. However I am interested to find out.
I don't think the XG25 (2.5 litre) was available in the UK. As far as I know, only the XG30 (3 litre) is available so fuel economy may differ somewhat although the XG30 does have a 5 speed gearbox as opposed to the XG25's 4 so it may or may not be worse.
I will update though
IP Logged

Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Jul 9th, 2006, 8:40am »

NO mpg displayHuh Oh forget it then..... Wink

Sounds like a really nice car and a great contender as a Scorpio replacement (closes door before he says that so the Scorp doesn't hear  Grin)

What are the seats like? The leather in my 1996 saloon is soooo comfortable.  Does it havea sunroof as well as climate control?

Cheers  Smiley
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
geraghtyg

2001 XG25

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Jul 9th, 2006, 3:43pm »

Seats are so so soft and supple. Driver's seat is fully adjustable but lumbar is perform via a lever rather than electronically with the Scorpio. Passenger seat is also electronic but 4 way adjustable. Seats are heated too.

The XG has a very large sunroof too. The climate control is fully automatic. It will decide which vents to use to cool or heat the car and it will shut out outside air if you drive into heavily polluted air.

Here is an excerpt from a review on the car - Really does sound good:
"If you expected the Hyundai XG30 to be something of a joke, think again. The sales figures would suggest that it’s a bit of a duffer but behind the sorry showroom performance is a car that’s genuinely appealing. With used prices dropping through the floor, it’s hard to think of anything for comparable money and vintage that can transport you in such untrammelled luxury. The Hyundai XG30 is one of the great unsung used bargains. Bet you didn’t expect that."
The full review is available here:
http://www.carsource.co.uk/used-research?ID=RTC4BVKRPSB00DJ&mfr=X
IP Logged

km449

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jul 9th, 2006, 6:39pm »

Hi

Does it have a leather steering wheel and are there audio controls on it?

Also, is the radio/cd noise sensitive like the Scorpio is?

Thanks

Keith
IP Logged
geraghtyg

2001 XG25

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Jul 9th, 2006, 11:29pm »

Keith, the sterring wheel in mine is a plain old plastic one with cruise control buttons on it but no stereo controls. I think the 2002 or 2003 model came with leather steering wheel with wood trim. I don't think the stereo is noise sensitive however, the sound from it is fantastic!!! Leagues ahead of the Scorpio. There is a Pioneer 6 disc changer in the boot (aftermarket) but there is a problem with this. I have to get this looked into at a hifi place.
Have to say, I am getting some serious looks in this car. Driving through the city on the way home from work tonight, people were stopping to look and point at the car. The fact that you can probably count the number of them in Ireland on one hand and that it is balck with lots of chrome and tinted windows and also the fact it looks like an American car makes people stop and stare. Oh, the aerial is electric too, as in it goes up and town when you put the stereo on/off
IP Logged

km449

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jul 10th, 2006, 1:54pm »

Driving home this morning I happened to see an X reg X30 for 3k with 78k on it, bit tatty but thought I'd speak to local Hyundai dealer afterwards to see if there's anything to look out for.

He said that the 50k services are mega, costing 600.00 notes each but that provided that service procedure is adhered to it can be done cheaper, around 400.00 at a local garage.

Other than that he said they tend to be bulletproof.

(Had to smile - the bloke at the local dealers selling the car couldn't get the remote to work and had to use the key! Now what does that remind me of?!!)

BTW - was offered 500 for my 97 Ultima Estate, FSH, 138k in part ex if I wanted the XG30. I think not baby puppy!!
IP Logged
geraghtyg

2001 XG25

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Jul 10th, 2006, 5:52pm »

Well if you have to spend little or no money between the rather expensive services, then I suppose it's worth it. That's a horribly small amount of money for a trade-in. Oh, my cousin phoned me today. He saw my Scorpio in the city - She has been sold already!!!
Both my fobs work fine although the dealer in the garage had trouble with one of the remotes - just turned out to be a flat battery.
Oh, and my steering wheel is actually leather, not plastic as previously said by me.
I hope I'm not swaying people from Scorpio's to XG's  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

km449

Email

« Reply #19 on: Jul 10th, 2006, 7:03pm »

Checked Autotrader and 2 of those available were up for sale at 97000ish miles. Now I know why!!

The one I spotted today was silver and had silver, as opposed to chrome, door handles which seemed to have lots of pitting on and around all 4 door handles.

Had one of those steering wheels that wasnt sure if it was plastic or leather and a totally out of character shiny metal clarion audio head that "was rather out of character!"  

Is that the same as yours?

Keith
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.