Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 10:24am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Newbie to Scorpio Ownership says Hello! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   News
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Newbie to Scorpio Ownership says Hello!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Newbie to Scorpio Ownership says Hello!  (Read 3719 times)
PaulW

Pimp Wagon

View Profile WWW

Newbie to Scorpio Ownership says Hello!
« on: Jul 13th, 2006, 9:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well looking around the forum, trying to judge where this 'should' go, I would hazard a guess as in here (as I've noticed a few other n00b posts, and some general Scorpio banter...)

So hello!

Well where to begin...  My name is Paul (username is a bit of a give-away!), founding member of a small, but ever growing enthusiasts club for the Vauxhall Corsa B (suddenly I hear quiet...  Vauxhall you say??), Originally from Weaverham/Northwich in Cheshire (lived in both), and now in the quiet shanty-town known as Liverpool  Undecided  Nearly 25 (next week wooo) and also a Full time Student at John Moores University, aswell as working part-time at a Shell garage...

The Car?  Bit of a funny one really...

I got it from a previous owner who had neglected it since they purchased it in November 2005.  Its a P-reg 2.0 16v Auto Executive, quite tatty in regards to bodywork (the bonnet is green.. car is black Huh ) cracked windscreen, very rattly engine (suspected low on oil, would check but the bonnet just will not open), gearbox judders when trying to select drive/reverse etc (also doesnt seem to lock well when using the shifter), all locks work except the door lock (was also stolen/recovered 6 months ago) and a very bodged job fixing the door (had a lock barrel put in, not even coded to the key nor attached to the lock mechanism itself (as found out thismorning investigating the problem))  It has seen better days I will admit, but for the grand price of £0.00 (previous owner was going to just scrap it) I couldn't refuse!  Other bad points, cracked O/S headlamp, smashed N/S rear light (currently bidding on eBay for replacement) and scratches/dents over it, but no real rust to complain about (other than the front doors & the rear 1/4's of the rear door windows...)

Few piccies as taken yesterday when I took delivery of said car (it does drive given the engine & gearbox issues Shocked )

Intend on getting it all fixed up (dependant on cost) then use it as a daily driver & courier runner to get parts for my other project (non-ford)
IP Logged
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

Re: Newbie to Scorpio Ownership says Hello!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13th, 2006, 10:36am »

hey and welcome to the site

im sure u'll get that scorpio looking like it should,
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 13th, 2006, 10:47am »

Hi and welcome to the site  Smiley

Looks like a nice car you have there, though I would make getting the bonnet open a priority.  

You can open it if the lever fails but think you have to break the grille. Cheaper than a new engine if oil is low, and sounds like the gearbox oil may be low too.

All the best with it  Smiley
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
PaulW

Pimp Wagon

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: Jul 13th, 2006, 10:56am »

Hey & thanks for the reply!

I got the bonnet open, after much swearing and pulling at the front, I then realised its been put on at an angle, so just yanked it to the left & up, and it came open!  Also there was some random bolt in the bonnet catch hole, so that could of also been a reason it was messing up!

Figured out why its rattling & idling VERY rough... there is no oil in the engine at all (well, it 'just' touches the end of the dipstick) if I'm pulling the right one...  Engine oil is the one on the right of the engine yeah?  Auto box on the left?  (looking at it from the front) just going of the PDF documents on removing the autobox, it said to remove the dipstick on the right according to the pictures  Huh

Gearbox oil is full (looks it) but is a browny color (light brown) so does need flushing through & changing. also, I'm putting the shifter issues down to the selector mechanism on the top of the box, or the cable itself, so will look into that if an oilchange does no good!

As for the alarm... how can I test it?  Not sure if it works or what... or even if there is one!  There was no remote keyfob (do all scorp's come with fobs?) and the bootlock is a different key to the rest of the car??  CD Changer is also missing, but the wiring is present, so will be a purchase I make when its all back on the road!

Wiring loom on the engine is also cracking (as mentioned on the advice pages) so any info regarding loom changes & costs will also be a great help!

Cheers!

Paul
IP Logged
PaulW

Pimp Wagon

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: Jul 13th, 2006, 11:00am »

Also forgot to mention...  the cat is also messed up, the securing bolt just goes straight through the manifold & does nothing, so a new cat will also be needed... another bad idle cause?
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 13th, 2006, 11:30am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Paul.  

This site rocks for looking after your Scorpio.
Absolutely brilliant.

Welcome.  Cheesy
IP Logged
Dave

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 13th, 2006, 1:16pm »

Hi Paul,

sounds like you have got the dipsticks sussed out  Smiley

Did you check the gearbox oil with the engine warm and running? If not is will show higher than it really is.  

You need to warm up the engine, preferably by going for a short drive, then move the selector through all gears 3 times, pausing in each position for a second, before returning to Park and checking the level. Apologies if you already know this  Smiley

You gearbox sounds to be behaving like mine was, with similar colour oil, before I had it and the filter changed. Totally transformed my 'box *touch wood*  Grin

Test the alarm by "popping" the bonnet from inside then lock the car. Then go and open the bonnet. Alarm should then sound.

I am not 100% sure but THINK all Scorpios had remote locking so, yes, if you get a remote then you can code it to the car no problem.

My 24v had the dreaded loom problem due to an old water leak. The loom was in poor shape but responded well to re-insulation and has *touch wood again* been running fine  Smiley

Cheers  Cheesy

PS You got that car freeHuh You jammy so and so  Wink
IP Logged

PaulW

Pimp Wagon

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: Jul 13th, 2006, 2:49pm »

Daven - I'm now bidding on the Drivers and Rear Lights from you Wink  Would get both headlights so they match, but not sure I can stretch that far with my budget at present...

Dave - I would drive it, but it has no TAX or MOT at present, so all work is being done on the drive!  I will take your advice though, and get the filter and oil on the 'box changed!

As for the engine, I put in some 10W40 oil, it stopped the chain rattle, and now seems quieter, but it still runs terrible, stalls from idle or accelerating, or just idles really bad.  Trying to hold the revs at a constant 2k, it goes up to 2k, then just drops to about 700 then back up to 2k, has alot of trouble...  Looked at the loom some more, it has already been taped up, but the wires themselves are corroding, so a new loom is a pretty high priority along with the exhaust!  Not checked the condition of the plugs yet, but had 1 lead off, and the end was discolored where it attaches to the plug, so has probably been running very hot.  I'll also get a compression test done just to make sure it is holding pressure.

Free yes, but with a cost to fix!
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 13th, 2006, 4:58pm »

Got a black bonnet in Edinburgh if you fancy a run up  Grin
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jul 13th, 2006, 5:23pm »

Read this http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cleanmaf. and see if that helps with the rough running etc. The other item to check /clean/lubricate is the IACV.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
PaulW

Pimp Wagon

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: Jul 13th, 2006, 7:22pm »

Cheers Simmo - never would of thought about the MAF, had already guessed the IACV given the way it loves to just stall after accelerating...

Highlander - if/when I get this thing back on the road, and if you still have the bonnet, I might consider a little road trip to spread its legs a little Cheesy  How mucho's would you want for the bonnet??
IP Logged
big_bluto

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Another Newbie to Scorpio Ownership says Hello!
« Reply #11 on: Jul 28th, 2006, 8:11am »

Wotcha.....given the topic of this thread, I figured this was an obvious place to chuck my first post on the forum.

Just got my first Scorpio (M reg Ultima TD 2.5 Estate) out of the auctions in Edinburgh this week, and I have to say - I'm mighty impressed.
Electric everything by the looks of it!
Electric seats, windows, sunroof, mirrors (including when you put the car into reverse the l/h/wing mirror tilts downwards!) air-con, radio controls on the steering column.  Cool
The outside looks like it's seen a few hedges, car park walls, etc, but the inside is in really good nick - really liking the car, despite the 200K on the clock.
So I wondered if you knowledgable dudes could help me out?

1. What does the car have that I don't know about yet?  Embarassed
2. What top-tips do you have to someone new to the 'Scorpio-Scene'  

Oh, yeah.......great forum! Grin
Regards,

Craig
Edinburgh
IP Logged
Daven

I'm a cheeky Boy! (Simmos fan club)

View Profile WWW

Re: Another Newbie to Scorpio Ownership says Hello
« Reply #12 on: Jul 28th, 2006, 8:23am »

Hi Craig - welcome!

on Jul 28th, 2006, 8:11am, big_bluto wrote:

1. What does the car have that I don't know about yet?  Embarassed

Lots - read the main site, the handbooks are there if you don't have any and we are still learning about it ourselves  ROFL

Top tip - well  
1. Make sure the battery and fusebox covers are there,  
2. You don't have to have the remote programmed by Ford and it may not work like it says in the manual  
3. When all the needles on the dash go right round to the right the battery is on it's way out.
4. Make this your homepage - you will need it!! Wink

Dave
IP Logged
Dave

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Jul 28th, 2006, 8:32am »

Welcome to the site, Craig  Cheesy
IP Logged

mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Jul 28th, 2006, 12:02pm »

Hi   Big Bluto,   Check  that you  have  Global Closing  fitted .

When locking the car with the key and  a window  or  sunroof  is open,  turn the   key   fully   clockwise  and  hold  it  in that position, not only should it lock  all the  doors  but  the  windows  and sunroof  should  all  close too.

IP Logged
PaulW

Pimp Wagon

View Profile WWW

« Reply #15 on: Jul 30th, 2006, 12:05pm »

on Jul 28th, 2006, 12:02pm, mr._floppy wrote:
Hi   Big Bluto,   Check  that you  have  Global Closing  fitted .

When locking the car with the key and  a window  or  sunroof  is open,  turn the   key   fully   clockwise  and  hold  it  in that position, not only should it lock  all the  doors  but  the  windows  and sunroof  should  all  close too.

is this on all models or just certain marques??  really need to get some new lock barrel switches...  ROFL
IP Logged
bootiful-scorpios

ex     2.9 24v

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Aug 15th, 2006, 7:52pm »

i dont think Global operation of windows and sunroof was on  the Executive Undecided but OPTIONS packs could be added at further cost . ive found you this link that you may find helpful
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/specifications.htm Wink
IP Logged
Dave

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Aug 17th, 2006, 5:49pm »

Paul,

have you got rid? Thought I saw it on eBay t'other day  Undecided
IP Logged

PaulW

Pimp Wagon

View Profile WWW

« Reply #18 on: Aug 18th, 2006, 6:38pm »

Fraid so Sad tis still on there now, not long left (like 20 mins or so)

Grandad gave me his old Omega after he saw the state the Scorp was in, so bit the bullet & put the Scorp on the 'bay.
IP Logged
Dave

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Aug 18th, 2006, 10:45pm »

Good luck with the Omega  Smiley
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.