Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 1:23pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Crash. I think thats the end of my diesel :( »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   News
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Crash. I think thats the end of my diesel :(
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Crash. I think thats the end of my diesel :(  (Read 2788 times)
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

Re: Crash. I think thats the end of my diesel :(
« Reply #20 on: May 25th, 2007, 7:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Andrew, I'll check again but from memory I'm sure a Scorp bonnet doesnt fit in the back of the estate
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #21 on: May 25th, 2007, 8:12pm »

hi stuart

i was going to put it on the roof, bumper in the rear. Wink

let me know if i can help.
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #22 on: May 25th, 2007, 8:52pm »

Jesus Matt, just looking at the pictures of the Audi. You was lucky there mate.

Hope you can fix it, surely the other guy was insured?
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #23 on: May 25th, 2007, 10:21pm »

I went to see her today, the damage goes beyond the skin im afraid. The whole of the front has been pushed back and to the side slightly and the radiator fans have been wrecked when they hit the engine. The rad has escaped injury though  Smiley

I have a feeling one of the engine mounts has sheared off from what i saw and the fact the engine jumps around a bit (more than the VM td usual  Wink) but i really need to get a torch in there to confirm.

The first impact was so hard that he actually managed to bend the steering rod which is nearly an inch think! The camber and alignment is pointing in all different directions, i havnt had a look at the roll bar or any of the other suspension bits yet but i will tomorrow.

Quote:
I mean what the hell was he doing undertaking you AND (illegally) on the hard shoulder? He obviously hadn't broken down if he passed you at over 60mph.  

Apparently from what he told one of the witnesses is that he had swerved to avoid a car (which no one can say they saw...) but what i dont understand is why he had kept accelerating past me once on the hard shoulder  Huh i have a feeling he may possibly have fallen asleep as he said he doesnt remember anything until he hit me, i cant say for 100% but something wasnt right.

Yes he was insured, we were recovered on the same truck and he seems a nice chap, he apologised about my car and said the least he could do was buy me a coffee back at the depot. I've been tooing and froing from various claims departments and telling them exactly the same thing over and over again, first thing tomorrow i find out if i have a hire car. For some reason they wont insure me on my cossie as a) im not selling it and b) my car isnt in for repairs, which doesnt quite make much sense  Undecided if they give me a hire car so long as its comfy enough to do my 100 mile round trip commute to and form work i dont really mind.  

As the day has gone on i really could do with seeing a doctor as my back is getting quite painful from sitting/lying down, but it being a bank hol the surgery is closed and i dont fancy waiting in A&E for days. Sainsbury's 48p 2 in one painkillers seem to be doing the trick though  Smiley Hopefully it wont be too long term is i've my full motorcycle test booked for 2 weeks time and i need to get some practice in which at the moment i cant do...

Thanks once again for making me feel better about it all knowing it can be fixed with a bit of time, I will do my best to get her back on the road again, work knows im quite attached to my scorpio so i dont think they would mind me borrowing machines/tools to try and save what i can. Even though she's a short walk off the 1/4 million miles mark theres still plenty of life left in her yet! With the wealth of knowledge and help on here there should be no problem getting back on the road again (albeit with a few bandages)  Grin  

It all now comes down to what the insurance people have to say tomorrow...

Kind Regards,

Matt
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #24 on: May 26th, 2007, 1:22pm »

hi matt

i've emailed you the repair manual. it's got all the figures regarding panel alignment, etc.

re parts. if you still need them from stuart, i can pick them up on thursday or saturday.

regards
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #25 on: May 26th, 2007, 1:38pm »

I might be able to drop them at yours sometime next week Andrew. watch this space  Grin

In fact i'm heading down to Chester in aTransit on Wednesday if that helps anyone at all  Grin
IP Logged

Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #26 on: May 26th, 2007, 3:19pm »

Regarding your back Matt. You really should have gone in the ambulance, but all is not lost.

Go to A&E in the morning (usually quietest time) & tell them the pain has come on since you had a car accident a few days ago. They should see you pretty quick & once the pain has been diagnosed & you have it in writing, then approach the insurance company & put in a claim for physical pain, time off work etc.

If the back trouble is going to last long term,i.e...slipped disc or damaged vertibrae, then you could get a pretty large payout  Wink

While your there get your head checked out as well...just in case the back is okay  Wink
Especially if you've started getting headaches, blurred vision etc  Wink  Grin

IP Logged
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #27 on: May 26th, 2007, 6:04pm »

any body know a good cut and shut bloke? front of my cossie on the rear of matts lol, still hope you arnt to badly hurt, but at the same time if things go to cort, might be best to get some witnesses who can say that you've had problems since the crash/ on pain killers...

IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
Pegasus

24V Cosworth  Ultima Born: Sept 97, sold Aug 23

View Profile

« Reply #28 on: May 27th, 2007, 11:06pm »

Gawd Matt - what a nightmare. Glad you're ok-ish - Do NOT delay: make sure you get yourself checked out thoroughly and don't be afraid to mention any pain/discomfort no matter how slight or insignificant you think it is  Wink. Remember - some things may take a few days to become evident.

Hope you get it all sorted

All the best

Paul
IP Logged

Go Go Go ...
mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #29 on: May 28th, 2007, 9:50pm »

Quote:
While your there get your head checked out as well...just in case the back is okay

ROFL  ROFL  Grin

Thank you for the repair guide Andrew, as much as i would love to fix her up again I really am not too sure of the fate of the old girl as of yet, the underneith really is a bit of a mess unfortunately with various important parts mangled  Sad i'm still waiting for the assessor to come round to have a look...

One thing that will definately need doing are the wings, i've never replaced wings before so was wondering how easy are the old ones to get off? With them off would it be possible to then make up bolt fixings to secure them like with many french cars?

Another worrying thing is that with the engine running the whole car shakes and makes a very loud droning noise, nothing is rubbing on the drivebelt so i'm scratching me head with that one Huh when i switch it off it feels as though its trying to break free and jump through the bonnet  Undecided  

Thanks again,

Matt

p.s. my insurer wont let me drive my cossie for some reason (i usually do a pay-as-you-go thing), so instead they've given me a brand new freelander td with all the bells and whistles to play with, its nice with lots of buttons and gadgets but it doesnt come close in character and comfort to the Scorpio, i'm just blending in with all the other euro-boxes  Sad
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #30 on: May 29th, 2007, 6:30am »

hi matt

it does sound a bit of a mess. Cry

mines was all bodywork, no mechanical damage. that's the thing i said i'd walk away from. you never know what damage has been done to engine, steering, gearbox, etc.

might be better to walk away this time and buy a new one, depending on what the insurance offer you. Undecided

let us know how you get on.

IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #31 on: May 29th, 2007, 8:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm not one of these guys who is into this 'compensation culture'. In fact I think it's gone OTT.

BUT.......In your case.....Until the time this guy hit you, you had a well running, and perfectly serviceable car!

So forgive this long post, which I hope will point out at least some of the pitfalls facing you.  Wink  Wink

I'm not a lawyer, and I'm not up to date with current legislation, but I did work in the accident branch of a large firm of lawyers for a number of years from 1995-2001. We also have a barrister, and a solicitor in the family.

Do yourself a favour. You should very carefully work out the FULL cost of what this shunt has cost you in terms of the damage, injuries (which may not yet be apparent), so DO see a doctor), find out how long you will have the loan car for, and allow for taxis if it's for a limited period. Factor in ALL costs which you incur (even your pain killers from Sainsburys) keep receipts. Lost wages, phone calls, time spent writing letters etc etc are all costs to consider, but a Solicitor will advise you.

Golden rule of any accident claim is this SIGN NOTHING until you are completely happy with the settlement figure.   Believe me on this. The 'other sides' insurance company will make the lowest offer in the book. Make it clear from Day 1 that you are having nothing to do with any Mickey Mouse settlement.

I know you say that the other guy is quite a nice bloke, but the fact is, he's wrecked your car!!  Angry  I suspect that the insurance company will offer you some derisory figure for the Scorpio. No way. Make it clear that you want FULL settlement, otherwise you WILL put it in the hands of a solicitor. A solicitor will get you the FULL amount, even if it means also suing the other driver for the balance.  

YOU did nothing wrong here. There's no reason for YOU to lose a penny over this. HE was driving and undertaking you at a higher speed to the speed at which YOU were travelling, on the hard shoulder of a Motorway. A totally illegal manœuvre whatever the circumstances. He hasn't got a leg to stand on.  A police report would be useful if you can get one.

You will NOT incur any costs because the solicitor will claim ALL costs from the third party.  

Please don't use one of these 'shark' accident claim outfits. 100% of them are con jobs. I know!!

Use a REAL solicitor. If I was in your shoes, personally I would be doing this today.

Finally, and this is the annoying bit. It will take time to sort this out, so make absolutely sure that you hang onto the replacement car for as long as it takes. This is one of your biggest levers. They will want it back ASAP.  The longer you have it, the more the insurance company will want to get off their butts and settle up. Make it clear to them that if they want it back, you will need to take taxis (due to your commuting distance), and that all the costs of those will be going on the bill from that point.

Use Jonnycab............He'll give you some nice big receipts!!  Shocked  Shocked  Grin  Grin    Only Joking.

KEEP ALL RECEIPTS.  repeat  KEEP ALL RECEIPTS.  These really are important.

I hope this helps you, because I know the accident business pretty well, and believe me, they WILL try to screw you, whilst at the same time making out that they are REALLY doing you all the favours in the book with their 'excellent settlement'. Have NONE of it. Stay firm, and insist on a FULL payout to include ALL your costs, INCLUDING (often overlooked), the cost of finding, viewing, re-insuring, taxing and having another similar if not identical car to the one you had prior to the accident.  

Again: There is NO REASON that YOU should be one penny out of pocket over this incident.

Good luck with the car, and hope you get it back on the road, although it does sound to be not too good, and I suspect that it may well be a total from what you're saying.  Wink
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #32 on: May 29th, 2007, 9:28am »

Agree with Spannerdeamon

Mazzy
I wholeheartedly agree with Spanners on this one, they will be rocking in their shoes as to the amounts they will end up paying out.  This other guy may be a nice person but if he was he wouldn't have been overtaking you on the inside, on the hard shoulder etc etc.  As was said, before ths happened you had your car, now you have got the problems of "repairing your car" Tell yourself, it's the end and at best it will go to swell the supplies of S/H parts.
Stick out for the best settlement possible, see the doctor and get documented evidence for EVERYTHING, even if you get out of breath running for the bus (grin)
Don't worry about the time it takes, the cost will be to the other party (insurance) even if they have to pay for the building of a NEW SCORPIO, (that would be nice wouldn't it) Most of all, tell yourself that "if this had gone the other way it could have been the end of not only your Scorpio, but the end of YOUR life and everyone elses grief.

I do hope you make the right decisions and wish you all the best on the outcome, as I'm sure all the rest of our friends on this site do... Keep it going bud... Wink

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #33 on: May 29th, 2007, 2:43pm »

Insurance assessor will write it off, it's a foregone conclusion.

But, you've got a chance of getting more if you stand and fight it, like we did with the Capri when it got rear ended. They offered £300 if it was written off, it took 7 months, a lot of photos and a lot of photocopied repair bills and history plus an agreed valuation of the car but we got £2600 and got to keep the car. Ok, it never got fixed but I still have it in the garage complete with damage. It proves the point that David can win over Goliath.

IMO mate it does look bent, you can see it from the slam panel. It'd need alignment work at least before you could repair it - same with the Capri, it only pushed in the rear panel and creased the driver's side rear wing but on the road it'd pull strongly to the left at 30mph, if you stood behind it you could see where the impact knocked the axle frame off centre Sad. But, don't listen to the insurance company, if you're able, get a good bodyshop to look at it and get at least 2 quites for repair. THEN decide what you're going to do.

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #34 on: May 31st, 2007, 11:38am »

hi matt

do you still want the bumper and bonnet brought down to harewood?

i could get them from stuart sometime on saturday.

let me know what you want done. Smiley
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #35 on: May 31st, 2007, 11:19pm »

Saturdays good for me, even got the right colour Wink
IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #36 on: Jun 1st, 2007, 10:46pm »

Do you want them Matt?
They're still on the car, can take them off in the morning for Andrew but i'd rather leave them on if you dont want them.

Stuart
IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #37 on: Jun 2nd, 2007, 12:29pm »

Got a pm from Matt, doesnt look like the car is going to repaired so the spares dont need collected
IP Logged

LiverpaulH

My bird!

View Profile

« Reply #38 on: Jun 13th, 2007, 5:10pm »

Just seen this, so my commiserations are a bit late matt. Are you feeling fully ok yet?

Keep us informed on what happens.  

Cheers
Paul
IP Logged

Still hankering after a new scorpio- Aus BA Falcon, 5 years later and I still love it!
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.