Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 12:16am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« A Scorpio owner at last! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   News
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   A Scorpio owner at last!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A Scorpio owner at last!  (Read 1027 times)
mijfife

View Profile Email

A Scorpio owner at last!
« on: Jan 19th, 2008, 9:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi guys, I finally got my hands on a Scorpio Ultima TD after a couple of months searching. I set off at 6am this morning with a mate in my Volvo 760 GLE (lpg) and we drove a mere 304 miles to Boston to have a look at Scorpio_Newby's 96' Neaveux red example as advertised on the for sale section here. I was pleased to see that the car was as described and it was a pleasure to meet Scorpio_ Newby, aka Simon  Smiley After a quick test drive, I duly handed over the agreed sum and drove the 304 miles back home in my newly acquired Scorpio, both it and my 19 year old Volvo behaved impeccably, getting us home by 7.45pm!  

I have to say I'm very pleased with the car on the whole. It's got a decent body, drives great and I thoroughly enjoyed the drive back north, barely even feeling tired after a full day's driving. Cool
I've got a few issues to sort out, all of which I knew about before making the long trip south. The Cruise Control isn't working although the dash light comes on. Simon reckons on the VSS? There's a shudder from the brakes, probably needs a disc or two. The aircon needs a regas and the handbrake isn't holding too well. That's about it really so many thanks Simon for passing over custodial rights of your faithful Scorpio to a  happy Scotsman   Smiley
Anyone want to buy an LPG Volvo?  Wink

Cheers Jim
IP Logged

'96 2.5TD Ultima estate running on veg oil!
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: A Scorpio owner at last!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19th, 2008, 10:52pm »

Jim, Welcome and just to help have a look at THIS page and the buttons on the left of the page which will help re the discs etc. The rear brake caliper pistons can NOT be pushed back they have to be wound back using a special tool which can be had cheaply from someone like Draper. The most common cause of handbrake 'failure' is the lever seizing up on top of the caliper. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
SCORPY_NEWBY

Scorpless but still an admirer!

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19th, 2008, 11:13pm »

It was a very sad moment seeing it drive away Cry Cry But on the other hand I'm pleased its gone to a member of the forum and I'm sure all of you will give brilliant advice if anything goes wrong (you always did to me) Yours scorpless, Simon Cry
IP Logged
mijfife

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 20th, 2008, 4:59pm »

Hi Simon, as I said in my pm, I'm very pleased with the car and it will get well looked after  Smiley

I bought Scorpio number 2 today as well, my second purchase in 24 hours! Look out Highlander, I'm trying to catch up with you  Grin
This one was advertised on here too but was a bit closer at only 17 miles away. It's a 2.3 manual Ultima and is going to donate it's Pumice leather interior and 16" 16 spoke alloys for a start. It's been an expensive weekend  Roll Eyes but well worth the money spent.

Simmo: thanks for the link regarding the brakes, I'm hoping to fit the discs off the other car tomorrow and see if that cures the shudder.

Cheers Jim
IP Logged

Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 20th, 2008, 5:39pm »

Welcome  Cool

Sounds like you are a Scorpio addict already  Cheesy
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 12:01am »

yeah, its a bit like heroin addiction; you lose your friends and family due to spending all your time with the addiction, then you clean out your bank account feeding the habit for short lived euphoria.....
IP Logged

mijfife

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 11:04am »

I'm used to the addiction bit already as my main passion is for a little Scottish classic car called the Hillman Imp  Smiley I've got a '67 Singer Chamois Imp and a '63 Imp based kit car called a BS Nymph. The Imp gets lonely if it doesn't have another one to keep it company, I hope the Scorpio's not going to be the same  Cheesy I'm about to turf the Imp out of the garage in the pouring rain to sort out this brake judder on the Scorpio!!

Cheers Jim
IP Logged

rk176

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 9:15pm »

As Highlander will tell you you need a herd of scorpio's where the week ones are sacrificed to keep the others strong
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:00am »

on Jan 20th, 2008, 4:59pm, mijfife wrote:
I bought Scorpio number 2 today as well, my second purchase in 24 hours! Look out Highlander, I'm trying to catch up with you  Grin

Ah yes I remember that, finally getting the second one "for spares" which turned out to be a cracking motor with very little wrong with it so I sorted it and put it on the road leaving me needing another one "for spares" which I soon aquired... (can you see where this is going) Smiley

Well its now 4 years down the line and i've managed to aquire myself 15 (6 estates, 9 saloons) of which I have 8 whole ones left and a stockpile of spares Smiley
4 of those are on the road just now, 2 being repaired and two being stripped Smiley
Still I wont need to buy any tyres for a while Smiley

Sounds pretty horrendous but I've just totaled it up and i've spent £4220 buying those 15 cars (including one at £1500 and one at £500 so £2220 for 13 cars) over four years thats £1055 a year on car purchases which isnt bad Wink
Added to that I have family members running around in "free" cars that get repaired for free if anything goes wrong  Roll Eyes
Isnt it amazing how people change their opinion of the Scorpio once they get in it or actually drive it Wink

Still hopefully I'll get back down to about 5 and that'll do me although Jim looks to be heading in the other direction Wink

IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:01am »

on Jan 21st, 2008, 9:15pm, rk176 wrote:
As Highlander will tell you you need a herd of scorpio's where the week ones are sacrificed to keep the others strong

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!  ROFL
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 6:40am »

on Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:00am, Highlander wrote:

Well its now 4 years down the line and i've managed to aquire myself 15 (6 estates, 9 saloons) of which I have 8 whole ones left and a stockpile of spares Smiley
4 of those are on the road just now, 2 being repaired and two being stripped Smiley

Isnt it amazing how people change their opinion of the Scorpio once they get in it or actually drive it Wink

While reading this I was trying to imagine your backyard Stuart, it must be quite an achreage... Grin I came up with an idea for you to get a good income from it....

You could open a holiday camp for Scorpowners, just think, all you need is a plot big enough to keep some sheds on for accomodation, you would need an arena so your guests could be entertained with Scorpio races, speed trials (One Man and his Scorp)  stunt demonstrations, Radflushing contests, brake stripdown time trials etc etc (anymoreideas would be welcome)

What d'ya think then Stuart, worth a go? ....... eh?

Pete Grin Grin

IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
mijfife

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:31am »

And with 6 estates, we'd all have somewhere to sleep  Grin Grin Grin

Cheers Jim
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.