Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 11:22pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« ARRGGG! what a plonker!! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   News
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   ARRGGG! what a plonker!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ARRGGG! what a plonker!!  (Read 1100 times)
mijfife

View Profile Email

ARRGGG! what a plonker!!
« on: Nov 2nd, 2008, 12:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

When I bought my Scorpio, I was only given a single black key, despite assurances that the other ones "were around somewhere and would be posted on" Despite several phone calls and emails, they never appeared.
When I broke the spares car, I kept all the locks, and related control boxes so that I could swap everything over..... or so I thought  Huh I went out to do it today only to discover that what I thought was the PATS unit is probably just the main ecu  Shocked In my defence, when I stripped everything out, I was looking for a unit in a heavy metal cage. The ECU on the later car seems to be held in a cage with a big black metal front cover, unlike the one on my TD which just removes by undoing a plastic clip and I never noticed the PATS hiding behind the other module next to it.  
I'm currently climbing in through an unlocked back door or the tailgate at the moment as my only key is pretty well worn and wont unlock the doors and my remotes wont work either, far from ideal  Roll Eyes  
Should I just fit the door locks from the other car so I can get in and have two keys or can FMD cut a new key for me without having the master?

Cheers, Jim
IP Logged

'96 2.5TD Ultima estate running on veg oil!
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: ARRGGG! what a plonker!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 2nd, 2008, 1:38pm »

Yes  they can cut you a key without a transponder in it and provided the key with the transponder is close to the sensor ring in the steering wheel then it will start OK.

I have known people use new keys with out transponders and just tape the transponder to the inside of the steering column
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 2nd, 2008, 2:23pm »

mijfife.
If you can get a remote working and you have a transponder key you can programme the remote to  the new CCU,in fact you may do it without the transponder key,as this just controls the PATS.Any key which turns the ignition on might do it ?
        GOZZ
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 2nd, 2008, 7:13pm »

But then when your remote battery fails you're stuffed  Undecided

I have a car with the transponder taped inside the steering cowl but it will invalidate your insurance if the car is stolen.

Change the locks and the ignition barrel to the old one, remove the metal key part of the spare key and glue it into the plastic part of your old one.
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

mijfife

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 4th, 2008, 11:29pm »

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll probably just fit the locks from the spares car and keep the original key on the ring and see if it works. Is the transponder the little red square on the key and if so, is it possible to remove it and fit it into another key?

Cheers Jim
IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 4th, 2008, 11:37pm »

on Nov 2nd, 2008, 7:13pm, Highlander wrote:
remove the metal key part of the spare key and glue it into the plastic part of your old one.

Thats the easy way  Wink
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

mijfife

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 4th, 2008, 11:59pm »

Hi Highlander, I was just worried about it coming unglued and leaving the metal part in the lock!  Wink
IP Logged

Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Nov 5th, 2008, 1:15am »

Highlander wrote...."remove the metal key part of the spare key and glue it into the plastic part of your old one."

I did this a few months back on the wifes Scorpio when the old key was worn & wouldn't turn the ignition barrel.  
When we bought the car there was no red master key, but we had two black chipped keys. The spare chipped key was still fine, but I still wanted the other chipped key as a spare.

I got a new normal key cut at Ford (£10) then pulled the metal part out & glued it into the original chipped key with some very strong glue (Evostick Serious glue) & it hasn't come out yet  Smiley

Be carefull when you pull out the metal part in case you damage the key  Wink
IP Logged
mijfife

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 8th, 2008, 12:35pm »

At last, I don't need to climb in through the tail gate any more  Roll Eyes I changed all the locks over yesterday (switched the passenger side one onto the drivers side as it should be less worn) and did as Highlander suggested and glued my old key top to the replacement metal bit, seems to work a treat so thanks again for the tip  Smiley

Cheers Jim
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.