Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 10:41am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Another unwanted !!! 24v Estate ??. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   News
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Another unwanted !!! 24v Estate ??.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Another unwanted !!! 24v Estate ??.  (Read 1769 times)
The Rooster in the Scorpio.

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Another unwanted !!! 24v Estate ??.
« on: Apr 15th, 2011, 9:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi to you all out there. Did anyone bid on the 24v Pepper Red Estate that has just finished on E'bay (21:15ish) Friday 15th April. The car was in Ellistown,Coalville,Leicestershire.
It was listed as Item No 32068740460.
Did any of you realise that there were 7 bids all of £410.00. within a very narrow band of time and like me smelled a Rat of the Shill variety.
The car allegedly had been treated to a £1500.00 major work schedule including heads & gaskets etc and timing chains.
Was anyone; one of the 36 watchers the likely smelled a rat?.
It has been Re-listed as 320686298625.
IP Logged

Big Fords with Big Lumps & an Automatic Transmission are for Easy Driving.
Life is often cut short,use it to the full each day.Eat well & healthy. It is a Ballgame of Numbers,keep yours in the air.
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

Re: Another unwanted !!! 24v Estate ??.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15th, 2011, 11:52pm »

Wasn't watching but it doesnt look like shill bidding to me, looks like one person was just bidding at the end and gave up before reaching the reserve...

Why would you shill bid and not bid the reserve price?

You shouldnt be able to see how many watchers there are unless you are the seller Wink
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16th, 2011, 7:02am »

Agree with Highlander - looks like 1 bidder kept bidding and didn't hit the reserve - price wouldn't go up unless there was another bidder.
Not sure how you can see the 36 watchers - thought you might have meant the view counter but there isn't one on the listing.

Car has now been relisted - Recaro interior and wooden steering wheel shown in the pics but no mention of these in the description !
Should there be '24v' badges on the front wings by the side repeaters ?
Mileage a bit high @ 170k but it looks to be in good condition and has almost a years MOT & a couple of months tax too.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16th, 2011, 9:11am »

Hi Stuart & Mike. If you look at the offer to bid on 'a fresh' or 'the fresh entry' the bid has to be above the standing bid otherwise it will not move on. The bids that were entered look very suspiciously close together on time,also they are in 2 blocks of bidding. The last 4 bids were all within a 2.25min span. The other block of 3 bids was over a 13min span,but not of them increased the bidding,it will only achieve a step towards a reserve by increasing the standing bid from the figure to the "enter £Huh or more instruction. The smelly bidding was on the 11th April,the auction ended 15th April !!!!!!!!!!!!!. There was no more activity after the 11th.
I have spoken to a bloke but he did not seem to clued up things,he states that it is his dads car and he has owned it for the last 6yrs. I made contact within minutes of the car going on line. There were actually 37 watchers,36+me. Yes there was no regular hits counter either.  
If this car has had £1500.00. spent on it as stated (not a,this would have cost figure) then I would think that he/she is looking to take as small a hit as possible  if the reserve is reached and in the vain hope that the must have a Cossie people will get carried away and give a return on the repairs and the fees to E'bay . This is a Cash Only deal !!!. Also with 170,000 on the clock (if it is the original one) then the Auto Box is likely to want looking at,unless it has been done. If it has had work on it then why not disclose that as an additional set of "Brownie Points".
Ellistown,Leicestershire is a bit of a hike to go if unsure and then be disappointed,after a good looking at and driving the car. I am reluctant to bid without seeing it.
IP Logged

Life is often cut short,use it to the full each day.Eat well & healthy. It is a Ballgame of Numbers,keep yours in the air.
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16th, 2011, 4:47pm »

Quote:
The smelly bidding was on the 11th April,the auction ended 15th April !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has it been relisted then as the auction is still ongoing? The earliest bid is 15th April.

Looks fine to me, and I'll explain why (I actually run a small side business as an ebay advisor Wink  ) :-

The bid history only show the maximum bid, not the actual "real time" bid amount, so:-

H**t had a max bid of £300 that was beaten by d**r with a max bid of £400 some 12 mins later.
o**n bid £330 but that wasn't enough to beat d**r's bid of £400
o**n immediately bid £350.  That still wasn't enough to beat d**r's max bid of £400
o**n upped it again to £400.  As "first bid takes priority" d**r still had the highest bid of £400
o**n put another bid on at £420.  This beat n**r's original £400 bid but o**n's bid trummped by d**r's bid of £451 that they had placed some 15seconds after their original £400 bid (quite common - some people think their first bid is too low so immediately up it - but what actually happens with ebay is two separate bids are created).  
o**n then again upped their bid to £450 which was still beaten by n**r's bid of £451  
Finally, o**n puts a bid in of £461 and he's FINALLY beaten n**r's bid of £451

If o**n was to have put what they were willing to pay in the first place (£461) then you wouldn't have such a complicated bid history.
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 16th, 2011, 4:51pm »

You know what the advice is Rooster,if in doubt,don't go there.Another will come along  Cool
  GOZZ.
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 16th, 2011, 7:19pm »

on Apr 16th, 2011, 4:47pm, amigafan2003 wrote:

Has it been relisted then as the auction is still ongoing? The earliest bid is 15th April.

Looks fine to me, and I'll explain why (I actually run a small side business as an ebay advisor Wink  ) :-

The bid history only show the maximum bid, not the actual "real time" bid amount, so:-

H**t had a max bid of £300 that was beaten by d**r with a max bid of £400 some 12 mins later.
o**n bid £330 but that wasn't enough to beat d**r's bid of £400
o**n immediately bid £350.  That still wasn't enough to beat d**r's max bid of £400
o**n upped it again to £400.  As "first bid takes priority" d**r still had the highest bid of £400
o**n put another bid on at £420.  This beat n**r's original £400 bid but o**n's bid trummped by d**r's bid of £451 that they had placed some 15seconds after their original £400 bid (quite common - some people think their first bid is too low so immediately up it - but what actually happens with ebay is two separate bids are created).  
o**n then again upped their bid to £450 which was still beaten by n**r's bid of £451  
Finally, o**n puts a bid in of £461 and he's FINALLY beaten n**r's bid of £451

If o**n was to have put what they were willing to pay in the first place (£461) then you wouldn't have such a complicated bid history.

Amigafan, you're looking at the wrong listing, that is the NEW current listing. (You must be the ebay advisor I keep getting!) Grin

This is the previous one :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1996-FORD-SCORPIO-GHIA-24V-AUTO-RED-/320682740460? pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4aaa2e4aec

on Apr 16th, 2011, 9:11am, The Rooster in the Scorpio. wrote:
Hi Stuart & Mike. If you look at the offer to bid on 'a fresh' or 'the fresh entry' the bid has to be above the standing bid otherwise it will not move on. The bids that were entered look very suspiciously close together on time,also they are in 2 blocks of bidding. The last 4 bids were all within a 2.25min span. The other block of 3 bids was over a 13min span,but not of them increased the bidding,it will only achieve a step towards a reserve by increasing the standing bid from the figure to the "enter £Huh or more instruction. The smelly bidding was on the 11th April,the auction ended 15th April !!!!!!!!!!!!!. There was no more activity after the 11th.

I don't think you understand the workings of it Rooster..

ebay doesnt show the MAXIMUM bid, it shows the highest bid price one increment above the second highest bid.

If bidder 1 bids £10 and bidder 2 bids £1000 then the highest bid price is £11  (bidder 2)

The 7 bids on the listing that look like they are all £410 are by the SAME bidder but they WILL be for a higher amount each time.

eg.

If I am the highest bidder with a bid of £410 and I then bid again (Why? because I haven't reached the reserve price) say £450, then the highest bid will STILL show as £410 as that is one bid increment above the second highest bidder (you can't bid AGAINST yourself)

If I then decide to try a bit higher and bid £600 then the highest bid will STILL be £410 even though my maxium is £600 (I've had three bids and they all show as £410)

If I keep doing this in an effort to reach the reserve but reach my limit before the reserve then the highest bid will still show £410 irrespective of how many bids I make (below the reserve)

Normally I would make these bids one after the other in an effort to reach the reserve so they will naturally be in quick succession over a short period of time, a minute or two.

IF I WERE to reach the reserve price (of say £1000) and bid £1500 then the highest bid would automatically show the reserve price and be £1000, all my previous  "£410" bids would now show their ACTUAL bid price and my £1500 bid would only show as £1000

Suspicious minds Wink

Always look at a car first unless you are prepared to take the risk of it not being what it seems.
IP Logged

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Apr 16th, 2011, 7:49pm »

Hi Stuart. Thank you for the explanation,I can see it now for what it is/was. I would never bid on something like this before going to see it. I went down to Reading from UpHolland in my T5 to see and drive the 2.3 Scorpio Ultima Auto Estate that I have. There were a few issues with it but at least I had made a calculated decision to buy it. Having done some 1800 miles since the 29th Dec I have had the coolant problem and the door locks over and above the ones that I accepted.
IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 16th, 2011, 8:00pm »

I've have bid on a few Scorpios unseen in the past,  
not huge amounts of money involved, £100 - £500 max.

I work on the basis that even if they are no good I can recover the outlay via the sale of parts and scrap.

Usually you get a set of half decent wheels and tyres and half a tank of fuel too Grin

Not something I'd do if spending a lot of money though (but then I never spend a lot of money on cars) Grin
IP Logged

PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 16th, 2011, 8:06pm »

I contacted the seller a while ago and offered to purchase the Wooden-Steering-Wheel if he didn't sell it   Grin

I never got a reply!   Angry    Wink
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 16th, 2011, 8:12pm »

maybe a "Swap with cash" option might be more of an incentive to him rather than leave him trying to sell a car with no steering wheel? Cheesy
IP Logged

Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Apr 16th, 2011, 8:47pm »

I bought all but one of my Scorpios off EBay and never went to see any of them before I bought them..... guess I was lucky! Grin
IP Logged

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Apr 16th, 2011, 8:52pm »

on Apr 16th, 2011, 8:06pm, PJDavis wrote:
I contacted the seller a while ago and offered to purchase the Wooden-Steering-Wheel if he didn't sell it   Grin

I never got a reply!   Angry    Wink

Hi PJD. What was a while ago (ballpark!!) ?. I understood that this was the first time on E'bay since the alleged £1500.00. worth of work. May be it was before I started looking for one back in October 2010. I might just go over and have a look.
IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Apr 16th, 2011, 10:12pm »

Sounds like a plan, the Recaro interior estate is quite a rare beastie too  Grin

Watch out for the rear chassis corrosion and make sure the engine is cold and quiet when its started (to check there are new chains) Wink

Does he have a receipt for the work done?
IP Logged

Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Apr 30th, 2011, 4:00pm »

I get it, cos I've had it happen too, if someone's max bid (which isn't shown as explained) is higher than yours it looks like they keep changing their bid up a bit to beat your new one, they're not, it's automatic 'cause yours is still not higher than their maximum yet Grin

IP Logged

Mike H
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Apr 30th, 2011, 4:16pm »

There’s a link to the right at the head of the bidders list to show automatic bids.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.