Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 10:41am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« I made a mistake! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   News
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   I made a mistake!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I made a mistake!  (Read 1109 times)
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

I made a mistake!
« on: Aug 7th, 2011, 6:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

What a plonker I am!   Hope it serves as a warning to others!    

Last year around this time my Off-Side rear bearing failed spectacularly, so bad in fact I needed to change the hub.   The cost of the hub then was £106 all in, I have a friendly Ford dealer.   No problem, I replaced the Hub and bearing at the time and it's still going strong.   However, I thought at the time it would be prudent to check the Near-Side rear unit as well.   Although there was no play in the bearing, it was kind of 'grumbling a bit.   So I took it all to bits and put a new bearing on the hub.   The hub seemed in reasonable condition even though the bearing assembly went onto it fairly easy in comparison to the Off-Side.   Torqued the hub-nut up, and centre-dabbed it to check the position.   As a few weeks went passed I looked at the position of the nut and it remained steady.   For the winter period I put on the winter-wheels and also put on a thin layer of copper-grease to stop the nut and washer going rusty, this may have been my mistake!  (it meant that the marks were masked)   I then only did cursory glances at the nut to make sure it remained where it should.   Just as an aside, I used my 'workplace' tools because I don't have a big enough socket at home.

Even though the car is not due an MOT until Xmas time, I have arranged for it to be MOT'd this Wednesday, this because I was sick of lying about outside in the Xmas holidays checking the car for it's yearly ticket.   Now I will have seven weeks to check and prepare the car.   With this in mind I checked the car last week to find a bit of play in the Near-Side rear bearing.   I was OK with this, knowing that it was easy if expensive to fix, but it was in the back of my mind that one day I would have to replace the hub anyways.   (Remember, I don't have the right-size socket!!!)   So, ordered the new hub, F6156880 at £141 plus VAT retail, I got it for £131 inclusive.   Got a decent set of bearings for £45, and ONLY-TODAY went to a local industrial supply company to get a 3/4 drive 41mm socket.   That was £15.30 for a flank-drive Teng-Tool.     Cry Cry

Gets home, puts the socket on the torque wrench, winds the wrench up to 270 n/m, and I got half a turn out of it before it clicked!!!   No more play in the bearing!!!   Hey-Ho, I now have a spare Hub and Bearing.   I have centre-dabbed the nylock-flange part of the nut in the hope it won't so readily move, but you can be sure I shall be checking it more often from now on!   Incidently, it was a new nut I put on when I replaced the bearing, but if it happens again I'll be tempted to drill a hole in the shaft and use a castellated nut.  

Why the hell did Ford change the Near-Side to a normal thread, why couldn't they just leave it with a Left-Thread so it wouldn't come undone?

Blast, Blast, Blast.   Never-mind, I suspect I shall still have to replace the Near-Side Hub and Bearing at some point in the future.   It just means that instead of doing my Hub in the persistent rain tomorrow, I'm going around to a mates to do his Jag's rear-discs and pads.

Peter
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: I made a mistake!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 7th, 2011, 7:13pm »

For what it’s worth I don’t see what difference it makes what thread it is on a live axle with a splined hub as nothing is acting against the nut unless the splines are loose in which case it’ll tend to come undone regardless of LH/RH thread due to movement when changing between forward & reverse.

Whilst paint marks indicate if the nut has moved they don’t tell you if it is loose due to the bearing failing which may cause the cones to compress due to overheating, or just wear on the cone faces due to movement on a worn hub.
Keep an eye on it, it may be on the way out, you won’t be the first to have a bearing fail after retightening.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 8th, 2011, 7:34am »

Ford always use STRONG thread lock on the hub nuts and I always advise the use of this after replacement.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 8th, 2011, 8:23am »

Aye, you can be sure it'll be checked regularly.   I did think about putting 'nut-lock' on it, and that'll be the next move if it comes slack.   But I rather think anything that's done now will be a short or perhaps long-term temporary fix, the real answer is to replace the Hub and Bearing.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Chris_Basel

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Aug 12th, 2011, 8:22am »

I ended up putting the old hub nut on top of the new one and it hasn't moved since
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.