Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 8:22am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« New member, New car! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   News
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   New member, New car!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New member, New car!  (Read 2692 times)
Jimlaar

2.3 Ultima Auto Saloon (pre facelift)

View Profile

New member, New car!
« on: Aug 18th, 2012, 2:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi guys I posted in the new members section but it seems a bit quiet over there so I thought I'd share my experiences so far with the latest edition to my fleet and say hi at the same time!
Just over a month ago I bought a P registered 2.3 Ultima saloon with an auto gearbox.
It was a part exchange at my local Ford dealers and looked pretty straight except for its centre caps being missing?!
I expressed an interest and as the garage know me I organised an overnight test drive where me and the wife did over 150 miles... in serious comfort! Everything seemed ok, several trim items were damaged, missing or not working but nothing I couldn't fix with a trip to a breakers and an afternoons work.
The gearbox oil I thought could do with a change and there was a whiff of coolant but I just couldn't trace it and although it was a bit low when we test drove it (I topped it up before hand) it lost nothing in the time we had it, on the test drive I tried every switch and button - the one I regret pressing the most was the electrochromatic mirror one - shortly after I heard a loud pop and the mirror no longer worked, next morning it had dripped onto the centre console melting the otherwise tidy interior trim! Aaaaarrrrggghhh!
I returned to the garage next morning and advised they remove the mirror to prevent further damage and then  
I negotiated a price and soon after the dark green barge was mine, it has a biscuit coloured interior which doesn't seem that common, and the only options it seems to lack are a fully electric passenger seat and the wooden steering wheel!

The items I had to address were as follows:
Cracked o/s fog lamp,
x4 Missing centre caps,
Missing CD changer,
Bent aerial,
cracked and broken drivers electric window switch,
Rear view mirror,
Sunroof not working,
intermittant lights on the right side of the dash,
and finally a gearbox flush and oil change.

I trawled eBay for parts and then eventually found this site, I saw the mentions of Spikies so I gave him a call and negotiated a price for all the bits I needed.

Meanwhile I had the gearbox serviced and the diff topped up and made sure the car was given a once over, that was when the bad news came, the inlet manifold was letting out water at a horrific rate even though on our road test it was fine?!!!
I priced one from Ford and nearly passed out, then I called Spikie who said he had one in that was 12 months old for considerably less - I agreed to have it and the other parts when I made the journey to Essex the following Tuesday.

I pitched up at his barn around 12 and was greeted with an aladdins cave of parts as well as a warm welcome! We coo'd at his limos and had a brew, collected our parts and then made the two hour journey home (Which took some what longer as my vans exhaust parted company with itself on the M11!)

I sent the Scorpio up to my local mechanic and left him with a couple of jobs - the main one being the inlet manifold, 24 hours later I arrive back at the garage to find that not only has he done the inlet manifold and other jobs, he's fitted all the parts I had in the boot too!  
The car runs like a dream now, I still need to investigate the sunroof and replace a front tyre that I personally are not happy with and also solder the dashboard to stop the light issue but other than that I am bowled over with the old girl and the level of knowledge on here!
Two articles of use already were the trip computer to Miles from KM's and programming my remote fob - the seats kept reverting to the previous owners setting (even though I had saved mine and my wifes to the memory) when we got in!
IP Logged

89' Sierra Laser 1600 Pinto
96' Scorpio Ultima 2300
97' Trooper Citation 3500
2002 Kangoo 1900 D
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

Re: New member, New car!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18th, 2012, 5:07pm »

Welcome welcome.   You'll love this site and hardly a day will go past that you won't be in here for more news!   We all like to help each other in here, and some of us have a mountain of spares.   You'll need to get some pics of your car up on the site.
Peter
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 19th, 2012, 10:48am »

Greetings and congratulations!

The plastic inlet manifold is a bit of a nightmare and well known for springing leaks so not much unusual there. Aren't I glad mine's the old metal one Grin

(Has been known for metal ones to be put onto the 2.3's)

Search here about sunroof, what usually happens is the steel surround around the glass rusts and expands, so it gets stuck in the roof hole. Then that strips the plastic gear of the motor. One solution that has been done is to swap it for a manual winder version, if you can find one. (The manual winder is easier to 'persuade' when difficulties arise.)

Find out where the coolant has leaked to and if it got onto any electrics clean and inspect thoroughly, the coolant can destroy the wiring apparently.

As you've found out it's one if THE most comfy cars ever made and an excellent mile eater, I luv doing long trips in it. Grin

Tons of cargo space as well, used see them fairly often on campsites a few years ago. When they weren't so rare that is.

HTH
IP Logged

Mike H
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 19th, 2012, 3:15pm »

Welcome Jim, The best site bar none for these super cars. All the info and parts from members you could want to keep your treasure on the road. One of our members, Rod, is in your area. Cheers Lee
IP Logged
Jimlaar

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Aug 19th, 2012, 8:13pm »

Brilliant! Thanks for the welcome guys! I've taken all your advice on board.
I thought I'd programmed my key as it used to revert to the old owners seat position when I unlocked it, now it just stays where we last left it?!! My wife jumped in earlier -(M2) moved the car and locked it up, I jumped in using the same fob and had to press for the setting (M1) that I thought I had programmed it for!!!
Has anyone got a beige/tan coloured centre console as mine has been damaged by the exploding mirror - I might be able to just get away with just the inserts, Spikie doesn't have one sadly Sad
Lastly have many people tackled rear arch rot? Mines not bad but needs nipping in the bud before it takes hold! also what are your thoughts on undersealing?
IP Logged

96' Scorpio Ultima 2300
2002 Kangoo 1900 D
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Aug 20th, 2012, 7:52am »

on Aug 19th, 2012, 8:13pm, Jimlaar wrote:
Lastly have many people tackled rear arch rot? Mines not bad but needs nipping in the bud before it takes hold! also what are your thoughts on undersealing?

The rear arches can be successfully done by using new parts designed for the earlier model. My estate was done with them and I know that Freddieboy has had his done. Mine were done by a friend of Gozz's who has a body shop in Peterborough. He also did the sills and made a first class job of it. I am due to take the car back up to him, I live in Sussex, shortly for some further cosmetic work.   Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
lesterlad aka Rodders

2.3 Ghia x Estate (Manual)

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 20th, 2012, 8:14am »

Hi Jimlaar.
Where about's in 'Leicestershire' are you ?
I reside in the city, on the Ring Road halfway between the 'Pork Pie' roundabout and the 'Racecourse'  

Pop in for a cuppa if ever your passing....biscuits are optional.   Grin
IP Logged

There's are methods to my madness!!! I'm not sure what the methods are but there's definitely madness in them
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Aug 20th, 2012, 9:41am »

on Aug 20th, 2012, 8:14am, lesterlad aka Rodders wrote:
Hi Jimlaar.
Where about's in 'Leicestershire' are you ?
I reside in the city, on the Ring Road halfway between the 'Pork Pie' roundabout and the 'Racecourse'  

Pop in for a cuppa if ever your passing....biscuits are optional.   Grin

He'll also be able to tell you tales about Gozz !!
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Jimlaar

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Aug 20th, 2012, 9:04pm »

Rod it sounds like your on the Saff, I pass through there quite regularly!
I'm out at Market Harborough, who is this Gozz character then?!!
IP Logged

96' Scorpio Ultima 2300
2002 Kangoo 1900 D
rich1

london cabbies have the knowledge!!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Aug 20th, 2012, 10:22pm »

on Aug 20th, 2012, 9:04pm, Jimlaar wrote:

You really dont wanna know  Wink
IP Logged
lesterlad aka Rodders

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 20th, 2012, 10:50pm »

on Aug 20th, 2012, 9:04pm, Jimlaar wrote:

Yes I'm on the Saff, easy to spot my gaff, just look for a load of timber in my front yard and a pub bench (made by me) chained to a lamp post at the side of the main drag, and MOM parked on the service road.

Gozz is a fine old(ish) chap,always ready to help anyone out the mire, at some point in his early days he would have saved you from a raging inferno with his trusty fireman's ladder, whereas more recently he would have transported you to a raging inferno in the back of his trusty Scorpio Hearse.  Grin
IP Logged

There's are methods to my madness!!! I'm not sure what the methods are but there's definitely madness in them
Jimlaar

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Aug 21st, 2012, 9:33am »

Unbelievable! I nearly bought a picnic table from you a couple of months back but it had gone on my return journey!
I'd commented on your cars to the Mrs too - didn't you have a Granada too?

As for Gozz, he sounds ace lol!
IP Logged

96' Scorpio Ultima 2300
2002 Kangoo 1900 D
lesterlad aka Rodders

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Aug 21st, 2012, 10:39am »

on Aug 21st, 2012, 9:33am, Jimlaar wrote:
Unbelievable! I nearly bought a picnic table from you a couple of months back but it had gone on my return journey!
I'd commented on your cars to the Mrs too - didn't you have a Granada too?

As for Gozz, he sounds ace lol!

Yes I had a maroon MKIII 4x4 saloon.

There will be more tables available as soon as I get the correct grade of timber, keep your eyes peeled, and don't forget to ask for a discount.  
 Grin
IP Logged

gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Aug 21st, 2012, 2:08pm »

Gozz is a fine old(ish) chap,always ready to help anyone out the mire, at some point in his early days he would have saved you from a raging inferno with his trusty fireman's ladder, whereas more recently he would have transported you to a raging inferno in the back of his trusty Scorpio Hearse.  Grin [/quote]

That's quite right Rodders,I've always had fire in my belly,now as a retired geezer I,m keeping up the tradition via 'firewater' from the offy  CoolI don't think they'll be burning me,too bloody dangerous  Shocked I'll have to be planted in a safe place !!
         GOZZ.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.