Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 3rd, 2024, 2:29am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Tail ended at traffic lights. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   News
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Tail ended at traffic lights.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Tail ended at traffic lights.  (Read 1731 times)
Bikerdon

2.0 Ultima saloon, Norton 500, Suzuki 550.

View Profile

Tail ended at traffic lights.
« on: Nov 27th, 2012, 7:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all, just had my scorp tail ended by a ford focus at low speed at traffic lights this afternoon, only damage is the rear bumper which is badly split in several places, I pulled over and stopped but the other driver just casually drove off, I couldnt get back into the traffic flow quickly enough so lost him at another set of lights, luckily we got his reg number. I have filed a report with the police who will be paying him a visit later tonight, seems he will be charged with failing to stop and leaving the scene etc. Anyway my question is that my rear bumper will need replaced, but due to the age of the scorp I'm concerned that any insurance company may just write it off. I dont think the police are allowed to pass his details on to me so it can be dealt with without involving our insurance companies, so should I just to cough up for the new bumper and spray and fit it myself.
IP Logged

My other car's a bike!
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

Re: Tail ended at traffic lights.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27th, 2012, 8:09pm »

Best course I reckon is to give the other bloke's number to your insurers,go for a pay out and keep the Scorpio,then get a bumper off someone on the site,you may even drop on one the right colour.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Nov 27th, 2012, 9:13pm »

The DVLA may release the details given the facts and backed up by the Police report. Here. Equally there seems to be no reason for the Police not to prosecute him for the offences you list and I can see no valid reason for not giving you his details. Whether he would pay you is of course another matter.
DVLA position seems quite clear. Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 27th, 2012, 9:25pm »

If you go through insurers, they'll for sure write it off!   Sons of a thousand fathers!
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 27th, 2012, 10:14pm »

ive got an estate bumper in silver, paint a bit tatty but its not cracked or brokem
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 28th, 2012, 12:25am »

Matt, I think he has a saloon Roll Eyes If so, I have one in nantucket grey available. Cheers Lee
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 28th, 2012, 9:37am »

Did you check on ASKMID to ascertain whether or not your 'assailant's' vehicle has cover Don ? If you can get a payout from the insurers,obviously they will write the Scorp off,so to save it from the crusher you should make an agreement with them whereby you keep the car,which you must not let out of your sight until the deal is done.A VIC check would then be required,this is merely an inspection to ensure that it is the same car going back on the road,ie not a cut and shut or a ringer,the last one I did was about £40.
IP Logged
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Nov 28th, 2012, 11:42pm »

When dealing with the insurers just tell them you'd accept a "cash settlement in lieu of repair" and DON'T let them write your car off (they need your agreement to do that - unless it's unsafe to repair) - which would be a cat D - uneconomical to repair.  Don't let the car out of your sight and don't let them take the car to a repair place.  An assessor can price up the repair easily enough even if it's sat on your drive.

Then take the cash and get it repaired at a place of your choice.

Quote:
A VIC check would then be required

Not if you don't let them write it off.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.