Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 6:14am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« The Dreaded Ball-Joints »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   News
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   The Dreaded Ball-Joints
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The Dreaded Ball-Joints  (Read 16320 times)
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

The Dreaded Ball-Joints
« on: Dec 1st, 2012, 6:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Right, I'll try to continue with the problem but don't make any promises.   I might not get any further than Stuart did, but will try.

I too have just ordered a Probe 93-98 ball joint.   I got the measurements of this from the internet and it does look and measure-up very like the Scorpio item.   I shall this week hopefully at work extract a ball-joint from an old wishbone and see how things progress.   I shall of course wait for the Probe joint to arrive and compare it for height and where the groove for the holding pin are in relation to each-other.   I'm also in touch with an Indian manufacturer 'classicexparts' (corny I know) and they say that manufacture after receiving precise measurements 'should' be no problem.....famous last words!

It's not my intention to be treading on any previous tryers toes, just it seems still to be a need, and I have the workshop facilities on-hand to perform the change.

If, (and just now it's a big 'if') things work out and even if that means a bit of machining, and I can get a joint to fit and work, then I'm prepared to do a 'turn-around' of wishbones.   We shall see what happens.

I'll post up here as things happen.

Peter
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: The Dreaded Ball-Joints
« Reply #1 on: Dec 2nd, 2012, 8:45am »

Peter, I'm sure we all appreciate your looking in to this issue as, if successful, it could save more of these great cars. Hopefully the PJ  'BJ' mod will one day enter the list of 'fixes' which exist as a result of members skill and tenacity. Good luck  Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 10th, 2012, 4:18pm »

Bad News I'm afraid folks!   I got the Probe ball joint this morning and on first look it's a perfect match.   The shaft that goes into the hub and the cotter-pin are exactly the same, which isn't surprising seeing as the hub that the probe uses between 1993 and 1998 is the exact one as the Scorpio.   But the wishbone that the probe uses has a removable ball joint, (obviously) because it's wishbone has a wider base.   That's the important bit...because the ball-joint for the probe has a much larger body, with a 43mm spline.   The hole for the scorpio ball-joint is only 35mm slightly tapered.    Unfortunately there isn't enough 'meat' on the wishbone to bore the hole any bigger, the most I could bore the hole would be maybe to 38mm, and that would be stretching it.   I went to my local friendly Dingbro this afternoon, and had a look around the selves to see if there was anything close.   The closest I could find was for a 2006 Renault Senic, but although is had the right size of body, (only just it was 38.5mm) it had a 14mm shaft that was shorter.   The scorpio ball-joint shaft is 17.5mm.  

I spoke very briefly on the phone to 'Classicexparts' in India, and they would take the measurements and see what they could do, but they say they think the body is too small for the ball inside with a thick shaft like that.   Mind-you, they also say that they would expect an order minimum of 200 units.

So, for now it's over to the German QH site and about £77 a side.

I shall keep looking for a ball-joint but don't hold out much hope.   Classicexparts reckon this is a bespoke unit that uses a fairly standard ball and shaft into a narrow body, and that's why it's sold as a unit inclosed in the wishbone.

QH wouldn't give out any information whatsoever, except to say they can readily supply the whole wishbone unit for the car.

Peter
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 10th, 2012, 4:53pm »

Peter, I'm sure everyone would wish to thank you for your sterling and extensive efforts to resolve this issue.  I regret to say that, at this stage, it seems we've hit a brick wall. Once again thank you for your work on this. Regards, Mike. Sad
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 10th, 2012, 8:05pm »

You could use a balljoint with a thinner shaft - just press an insert into the hub carrier.

That's what I did with my Westfield - small insert into the Sierra hub carrier and it uses Ford Transit ball joints.

Wonder if this would be close?
IP Logged
PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 10th, 2012, 9:32pm »

on Dec 10th, 2012, 8:05pm, amigafan2003 wrote:
You could use a balljoint with a thinner shaft - just press an insert into the hub carrier.

That's what I did with my Westfield - small insert into the Sierra hub carrier and it uses Ford Transit ball joints.

Wonder if this would be close?

I had considered that very option.   I could easily make a bush and slip it over the shaft of a ball-joint that had every measurement right except the shaft, I could even make the groove for the cotter-pin although it would be very time consuming.   Firstly I would need to find such a ball-joint, and if I was doing that I might as well just keep continuing looking for a ball-joint with all the right measurements.   More importantly, (And I've built at least four kit-cars, and helped with others) if I was to make a change like that to the manufactured item, I then 'become' the manufacturer of that item, and therefore liable for anything that happens to that item.   It's fine to build a kit-car, and make changes, and then use that kit-car, because it's YOU that's using it, even when you sell that kit-car on, it's up to the person that purchases it to accept the build.   But to change a manufactured item in such a way, and allow others to use it without first proving it's worth through extensive test is a chapter for litigation!   Just imagine for some reason that joint didn't withstand a road impact of the same magnitude that the original joint would have, just because of my adjustments.   Do you think I could live with that possibility?   It may sound extreme, but I teach Health and Safety legislation, and I've read some weird reports.  

I shall continue to look for an answer, but it will take much more time than I originally imagined.

Peter
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Dec 11th, 2012, 8:10am »

Peter, sound advice and reason...as ever. Mike Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 11th, 2012, 10:53am »

After further research for a couple of hours this morning, I still can't find a suitable fitting ball joint.   The size of the shaft on the balljiont is 17.96mm, the groove diameter is 14.8mm.   The body depth needs to be about 20mm, and the body width to be pressed into the wishbone body can be no more than 38mm.   (The Probe body width is 42.56mm with a leading edge of 42.35mm.    

It's just a matter of time and research I think, there must be a ballJoint out there because QH Don't manufacture Ball Joints, all they do is assemble pattern parts.   I'm now a member of the QH site and still they won't help, (even though I pretended to be making a bespoke suspension set-up for a student project) miserable gits!   The research will take time, but once I have a ball-joint of the right body size with the right shaft, (the same as the probe joint) then it's a piece of cake to set up the wishbone on one of the machines at work to ream out (very slightly) the existing hole and press in the new joint.

Peter
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Dec 11th, 2012, 11:44am »

Hang on in there Peter Wink.  I get the feeling you don't like to be beaten!! Grin Mike
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Dec 11th, 2012, 4:10pm »

You will crack it Peter like they say slow and steady gets there in the end.
IP Logged
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Dec 11th, 2012, 6:02pm »

Quote:
The size of the shaft on the balljiont is 17.96mm

The renault scenic ball joints look tantalizingly close (search ebay for "18mm ball joint" and you'll find loads - they actually measure @ 17.95mm as they aren't interference fit into the carriers).

I've got a wishbone in my boot from the MOT - going to have a play this weekend.
IP Logged
PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 11th, 2012, 10:56pm »

I did exactly as you have said Ami'.   I've left a message with one of those sellers to measure the large diameter, and from the top of the shaft to the base.   But if it's the same as the Renault one I tried, and I suspect it is, the shaft is too short at the top (from the groove) and the base is far to wide again.   We shall soon see!
Peter
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Dec 12th, 2012, 3:32pm »

I think you're right though PJ - there's got to be a ball joint out there somewhere - it's whether it's still being made though.

I'll probably investigate the shim method.  this kind of thing goes through MOT's all the time no problem.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Dec 12th, 2012, 4:06pm »

Peter, is there any merit in trying This site? Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 12th, 2012, 10:44pm »

on Dec 12th, 2012, 4:06pm, Simmo wrote:
Peter, is there any merit in trying This site? Smiley

Aye, that's one of the yank sites I've sent the measurements to, no reply as yet.   But I suspect they are just a supplier rather than a manufacturer.   Just a waiting game.

Peter
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 15th, 2012, 1:51pm »

Still no reply from that Yank site, or another that I've tried.   I'm trying to be careful in that I'm not quite telling the truth about why I require them.   What I'm saying is, I'm a lecturer in charge of a higher-national group that are putting together a large ROV as a project, and these are the required size of ball-joint needed for the manufactured control-arm.   I'm of course using my college address for the reply.   It could be legit as well, we do have students building ROV's.   Reason being, like QH, they would want to sell the full-size part.

We shall see.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Dec 15th, 2012, 2:00pm »

Softly softly catchee monkey!!. Grin  Good luck Peter. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 17th, 2012, 1:06pm »

Sent enquiries to three more companies.   Federal-Moog, Meadway Linkages, China-suspension-joints.   All will have a detailed picture with dimensions added.   There aren't very many manufacturers, plenty of suppliers that say they're manufacturers but just supply the joints.   Just waiting now.   I'll try and post my picture with dimensions on here later-on.
Peter
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Dec 17th, 2012, 1:09pm »

Thank you for your efforts Peter. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Dec 17th, 2012, 8:08pm »

Had an answer from the UK site Meadways, they can't help, they do more industrial manufacture.   Below is the picture I've sent to the manufacturers with all the required dimensions.   If someone comes up with something, it's my intention to put the wishbone on the milling machine and machine out the hole to the correct 'press-fit' size.   It would be even better if a supplier could supply a top-clip-type.   I was at my friendly Dingbro again today for a couple of hours, no luck, closest was a Merc-Van.   You'll notice the splined press-in area of the pictured ball-joint has 34mm to 38mm, 38mm is the safest large hole I could mill-out.

Had to use a media-link.   Photobucket playing-up!

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx357/PJJDavis123/DSCF3408_zps14d49c6 5.jpg
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.