Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 3:01am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« New Stable-Mate »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   News
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   New Stable-Mate
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New Stable-Mate  (Read 5964 times)
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

New Stable-Mate
« on: Jun 19th, 2013, 9:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Now that 'Aunty' has gone to a good home, I jokingly said to my wife that would leave a little spare-room in the drive.   The Motorcycles are kept in the shed, but all cars have to be 'Hardy' and live outside up here in the frozen North.
I did a good bit of work on 'Movvy' this evening in preparation for the MOT on the 11th July.   I thought as it was a nice evening I would take a picture of the cars in the yard.   'Spiz' is the green puddle-jumper.   'Movvy' in the background.   'Henley' the new kid on the block!

IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

Re: New Stable-Mate
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19th, 2013, 11:59pm »

Nice car.. Smiley

I've had my '95 X300 for nearly 7 years now, that seriously has to be overall the best car I've owned (I've had 10 of different makes)...easy to drive and live with, well made, very gutsy for 'only' 250bhp, just a really well balanced luxury performance car..

My XKR is in a different class technically compared to the other Jags I've owned - it handles like a 4 wheel jet fighter plane, the way the engine/gearbox tech adapts as you drive is superb, it's incredibly overpowered, has warp speed acceleration, charged V8 is addictive just for the sound alone, it's an awesome piece of engineering and proves that cars have come along way in the last 20 years..but I'm still finding the prospect of letting go of my X300 difficult (don't really use it anymore, it's only done 400 miles since MOT in November), I still lust after another XJ-S an SIII XJ too..

The X300 XJ just feels 'right', I don't know how to describe it..

That looks a very nice car you have there, the 20 spokes are the best style on the old XJ..I've tried on and off for years to get some with the exposed lug nuts to get restored and diamond turned..not found them yet, dimple alloys look nice in 2 tone diamond finish, but I still prefer the look of the 20's..
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 20th, 2013, 11:59am »

Aye, I'm still getting used to the Jag.   A great drivers car, plenty of power for what I want, it's a 1995 Sovereign.   I've just put a couple of rear tyres on myself today the Pirellis were done, and I don't like Pirellis anyway.   It's a little bit clunky engaging gears but I discovered it has a Power-Lok LSD so I'm happy.   It has surprisingly no rust, full service history from Henly's of Hendon, all MOT tickets with no advisories, and the interior is lovely.   80k miles genuine.   It'll only do about 3500 miles with me in a year, I got it to help the Scorpio last longer, it now has 115k.   The Jag only has one bug-bear, at slow speeds there is a wee bit of clunking coming from the rear, I'm told this could be rear-shock bushes, or 'A' frame bushes, it's sometimes almost like a 'drumming' sound.   Rather like the sound the Scorpio makes from the front when the drop-links are goosed.   I'll need to overhaul the Brakes all-round as a matter of course.   Other than those two things, the car is lovely and has a full MOT.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Jeff

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 20th, 2013, 5:37pm »

If you're feeling flush, this dealer has some nice ones...nice prices unfortunately...
http://www.roberthughes.co.uk/stocklist.html
IP Logged

2.9 Cosworth saloon and 2.3 saloon
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 21st, 2013, 3:17pm »

Wow, it's got a power-lok diff? That's rare in itself.

About the gearbox, it's similar to the one in mine (ZF 4HP22?) but non-electronic, everyone I know says they're strong boxes..maybe clean fluid and filter would help?

Yeah, clunks are probably bushes, I had a nightmare solving a soft thudding sound I started getting on mine at low speeds, turned out one of the shocks as leaking (shocks £300 a pair, what a nice fun job in the middle of winter Wink)

Also, the original shock bushes are made from foam (I think they call it 'Microvon' or something), they can get squishy over time..might be worth replacing those if you're in there for something else. I did replace mine with Supaflex for a while but it affected ride quality, I learned an expensive lesson not to second guess the engineers who decided those bushes should be soft..

Mine's shod with Avon ZZ3 tyres, they've been good. Pity Avon stopped making them in that size or I'd have fitted them again.

Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 21st, 2013, 10:15pm »

Bruce

Is the gearbox oil and filter an easy-ish change for someone that's used to using spanners?   I'm a degree engineer with vast experience in heavy locomotive engines, and used to work on Triumph 2500 Pi's!   I'll easily lie underneath a car despite my years.   By the way, mine has the ordinary shocks that cost about £130 the pair. A devil to change I'm told!   I'm really pleased with my Jaguar.   I've checked the levels and the oils smells nice, it's clear and clean.

Peter
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 23rd, 2013, 1:05am »

Hi Peter,

Yes the oil change is easy Smiley. You can get filter kits that contain the filter, O rings, sump gasket and drain plug washer - try British Parts or David Manners websites - IIRC both do the kits.

Basically you just drain the old fluid (it's a torx head bolt, don't remember the size), then remove the sump (a few more regular hex bolts and brackets). Once the sump is off you can easily get to the filter, then just clean the metal swarf from the sump magnet (there WILL be quite a bit of swarf sticking to the magnet, it's just normal band wear and doesn't mean anything is wrong with the transmission). Then just put it all back together, fill up with Dexron 3 and check level as it says in handbook. I'm paranoid and have changed the fluid in mine every year, that's overkill I guess.

As the box is virtually all hydraulic, it might be some other minor thing causing the hard shift - you're in touch with Dave2302 aren't you? I'd guess he'd be able to give you some advice if the fluid change doesn't work.

About the rear shocks, yes it's a pig of a job because of the layout of the rear suspension. The main issue is that the shock is in the middle of the spring and the springs on the XJ are as thick as tree trunks and space is limited to say the least - I used Sealey truck spring compressors which I cut down to fit and they bent so much under the force of the spring that I was convinced they were gonna break on me, but luckily I managed the job twice without being wounded. The manuals say to remove brakes and hub but I managed just by moving the caliper aside - it's a tough job though, I realize now why some people just drop the whole rear suspension instead.

Like I say, they're lovely cars - when mine goes it's gonna be hard to let go because I've done so much work on it over time, it's like an old friend. I just can't justify keeping it, I'm working towards an electrical engineering degree which is costing a fortune, some of the car collection is gonna have to go Smiley

Bruce.
IP Logged

PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 23rd, 2013, 9:37am »

Bruce

Thanks very much for the advice.   I'll be doing the Autobox at some stage soon-ish.

Peter
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.