Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 12:23am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« MOT »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   News
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   MOT
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: MOT  (Read 607 times)
Ford fan

Old man

View Profile Email

MOT
« on: Apr 19th, 2017, 7:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I bought my current Scorpio this time last year after my last one died of terminal tin worm. I bought her from a family who assured me via numerous emails that their father spared no expense on his pride and joy before he died. I arranged a lift to Chichester and drove her back to Cardiff trouble free. I drove her around last Summer and laid her up over the winter.  I woke her up again on Monday as the Mot is due on the 22nd. I took her to the testing station today in order to give me a little time to have any works carried out in good time.  She went in at 3pm today and at 4.10 the station phoned me with the verdict.  PASS! with no advisory's.
The tester said that it was totally rust free and far cleaner than cars half the age.  I just hope that I am able to do justice to the previous owner and keep her running well for many years to come.  Grin

P.S  I just read this post to my wife who said that she that she doesn't like sharing me with another woman and wishes that I'd spend as much attention on her.   I really can't tell if she's joking or not! Huh
IP Logged

1997 Blue 2.3 Ghia X auto estate in Cardiff
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: MOT
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19th, 2017, 8:46pm »

Well done Tony. Be sure to take care of both! Grin
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 19th, 2017, 10:48pm »

That's great.   I've just spent the whole of yesterday servicing my 'old-barge'.   Doesn't seen to have any problems except from the rear-wheel-arches, that are going to get cut-off and new-ones in sometime soon.   These old Scorpios are fantastic, I've spent a lot on mine, too-much really for what the car is worth, but it's more comfortable than both of my other 'Old' cars, (Jaguar XJ6 and XK140) and is more trustworthy.   I'll just keep throwing money at the Scorpio for as long as I need, even if I needed to spend £1000 to get it through another year, it's better than having some other 'old-rubbish', and I do all me own work including welding and engine/gearbox work.   I can't praise these cars enough.   Very pleased for you to get a great car, long may we all have these cars on the road using daily.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Glyn

Now an OAP ! 95 cossie and another !and a 12v

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Apr 21st, 2017, 12:49am »

That's great news. Look after it. Sounds a good 'un.  Smiley
IP Logged
Ford fan

Old man

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 21st, 2017, 1:13am »

I totally agree. During the early 1980's onwards I had two 4.2 jag XJ6 cars which were both comfortable and roomy, especially in the boot. I then drove very comfortable but, in my opinion, mildly claustrophobic 2.8 Ghia X MK2 Granada's. I then drove a number of comfortable early and late model MK3 Granada's until they were phased out. Like so many people I hated the 'radical' look of the Scorpio when it replaced the Granada and drove a number of disappointing  less comfortable cars until 2010 when I was offered a cheap unloved, poor condition '98 'facelift' 2.3 Ghia Scorpio as a second car, instantly I loved it.  It was so comfortable that when it died last year I quickly bought a replacement. I just wish that I'd given the Scorpio  a chance so much earlier.
IP Logged

1997 Blue 2.3 Ghia X auto estate in Cardiff
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Apr 21st, 2017, 9:16am »

Great news  Tony, and a great story (everyone).

Currently I have "The Beast" (24 valve Cossie Estate) in hospital having her wiring renewed.  Been there a while but now almost done. Adrian, the Auto Electrician doing the job did his training at Ford on the Scorpio and is entirely trustworthy as is the rest of the "Crew". You would not believe the state of the old loom: Insulation practically gone, wires welded together etc. But she is worth it

The best cars I have ever driven.  

Mike   Cool
IP Logged
Glyn

Now an OAP ! 95 cossie and another !and a 12v

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Apr 21st, 2017, 11:37pm »

Well Mike I certainly would believe the state of the wiring. Had the engine loom (fuel shut off) replaced and the auto electrician (trained at Ford on the Scorpio) showed me the old loom and it was just as you describe. What little insulation that was left just cracked and went into powder as you touched it. I am still amazed that the car was running at all let alone erratically ! '95 24v saloon.
I have to say that they are the most comfortable cars I have had.
Glyn
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.