Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 10:11am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Happy Birthday »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   News
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Happy Birthday
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Happy Birthday  (Read 510 times)
brds

View Profile Email

Happy Birthday
« on: Jun 9th, 2020, 10:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My 2.0L Ultima estate is 25 today. First registered 9 June 1995. VIN shows it was only made in May so they were obviously quick to deliver.
Looking at the DVLA site, in Q4 2019, there were only four 2.0L Ultima's still licensed and  just one from 1995.
I bought it 7 years later on 30 May 2002 at Colchester auction for just £2350 with 83K on the clock after 3 former owners. It's now only done 146K.
It had a terrible clatter coming from the top of the engine which I found was because of the belt tensioner vibrating. This was due to a split exhaust manifold that was causing erratic tickover.
Subsequent big garage work over the last 18 years has been a gearbox service and 2 gearbox valve changes.
Among other things done by me have been the water pump, ABS pump, front drop links, 3 batteries, starter motors (corroded internal connections), CD changer & radio, bonnet & tailgate gas struts, airbag light, door mirror module & tailgate wiper motor.
Much bigger jobs were to rewire the engine & gearbox looms and change the heater matrix.
Many of the above problems would have scrapped most cars so its really been a labour of love that has consumed hundreds of hours.
I used it extensively in France when rebuilding our old farmhouse in the Aude and it hauled many tons of material up into the mountains. I'll still trust it for trips there if we can't fly due to Covid. Fords are usually fixable and spares available, even in France.
My thanks to all on the forum who have helped with advice & parts over the years, in particular, Goz for a lovely set of spiral wheels and Scorpio Mike for numerous bits & pieces.
Best wishes to all,
Bob
IP Logged
Torbayboy

View Profile

Re: Happy Birthday
« Reply #1 on: Jun 9th, 2020, 6:18pm »

Well done great to see a spirited owner and a nice early car to boot, also should be showing on the dvla is the "racer" on the drive 2 l auto ultima from dec 94 81 on the clock and rusty (very) looks like it may be saved for spares by another on here, also of note as its anothe early car is my blue cos saloon which is jan 95 build and feb regd, much prefer the early cars as more bits on them and they generally work (puddle lights, and water level should have stayed but got shelve. Unfortunately though the cossies do much more mpg on the r reg, also the tank has gone down from 80 l to 70 l to help with running costs I suppose.
Anyway well done  incidentally my grey cos estate was built july 95 reg'd for aug 95 making it a N reg, just caught the improvements for electric passenger seats etc still no hi level rear light though
 Stay safe    Cool Cool
IP Logged

Cosworth Scorpio only 46 on the road now NOW down to 42.
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jun 10th, 2020, 8:19am »

Happy birthday brds  Cheesy

Mike
IP Logged
QuentinG

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 14th, 2020, 12:34pm »

Great account and good to see it is still giving good service.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.