Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 6:24pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« The end of an era for me. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   News
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   The end of an era for me.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The end of an era for me.  (Read 877 times)
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

The end of an era for me.
« on: Sep 12th, 2020, 3:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Sad After over 21 years of ownership my 2.0ltr estate has been sold.
The guy who bought it has wanted one to restore for years and some four years ago he left me his mobile number in case this day came.
When I rang him he bought it there and then!
Sadly it has sat unused and unusable in my garage for nearly a year. It has a number of issues but was still driveable and the engine was as sweet as a nut.
The new owner intends to restore it, as he has other Fords, so I wish him well. I hope he gets as much pleasure out of it as I have over the years.
A sad day.
It has only survived this long thanks to Tompion, Gozz, Scorpio Mike  and others who have provided help, advice and indeed parts over the years. Without their knowledge and help it would have gone long ago.
I will continue to watch over the site and trust it will continue to help others in the same way it has helped me.
I have advised the new owner to register on here.
Simmo.

IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

Re: The end of an era for me.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12th, 2020, 4:48pm »

A sad day indeed, as you say without Tompion etc and yourself a lot of cars would be gone now.  At least it has gone to a good home and will come back on the road. Keep looking in, there are very few of us now Shocked.
Gerald.
IP Logged
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12th, 2020, 5:36pm »

Very sad day indeed.   This is still the very best site that involves a single make and model of vehicle.   I am involved with two other major sites for different marks of vehicle, and also in the past been involved in other vehicle sites that deal with speciality engineering and M/V vehicles.   I have tried to get these other sites to be as enthusiastic as this site, and asked people of those sites to 'dip-in' to this site to see "how it's done"!   As an example, off the top of my head, in all the years I was more active on this site, I have never encountered anyone on any site as enthusiastic as Roy!    The helpfullness of Tompion, Scorpio Mike, and Gozz are legendary.   Quite simply the BEST site of it's kind I know.   I just wish the Jaguar (uk) site was half as helpful, I get more from the Yank forums!
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 13th, 2020, 7:42am »

Sad times indeed Simmo, I still reminisce about my Scorpio and long for its comfort and drive ability but everything comes to an end eventually. Live with the memories. I do and look at a some of the pictures.
The few guys and gals left on here have a wealth of knowledge. Stay safe and keep in contact.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Sep 13th, 2020, 11:30am »

Sorry to hear that Mike, but at least you've got your garage back Undecided

Best wishes to you & Lynn

Dave & Lynne
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Sep 13th, 2020, 2:08pm »

Sad times in deed, but your Scorpio lives on, hopefully as you say we will have a new member on here soon.

Peters just hoping I will sell him a Scorpio one day, still got 3 to go BUT no wangers or splitters, and the right price as now eventually they are being realised for what they are Ford best luxury car Roll Eyes I can sit on them for a long time with little trouble.

Wish you all you wish yourself Mike and do drop in often to liven us all up.
 Regards from Debn
IP Logged

Cosworth Scorpio only 46 on the road now NOW down to 42.
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Sep 13th, 2020, 3:47pm »

Tomp, I tried to get you yesterday before I posted but I couldn't 'find' you on any of the three numbers! Just tried again when I saw your post same result.
Let me know when you are about and where!
 Grin
Thanks for your kind comments everyone. Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Sep 13th, 2020, 6:12pm »

Mike
Partly deafness  Wink and partly running errands - in Beckenham at the moment.
Dave
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
QuentinG

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Sep 13th, 2020, 10:18pm »

Sorry to hear that but look forward to seeing it back on the road, one day they will be worth as much as some other Fords.
IP Logged
Glyn

Now an OAP ! 95 cossie and another !and a 12v

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Sep 15th, 2020, 2:20am »

Very sorry to hear that. You have my sympathy but please do keep on the site.
Glyn
IP Logged
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Sep 25th, 2020, 10:52am »

Ah Simmo, I have just now been playing catch up and am saddened to read that your Scorpio has finally gone, hopefully, to a good home.

I know that you will really miss your Scorpio now that it ain't about. There was always hope whilst  you owned her.

Ah well, you never know what will turn up.

Take care

Mike  Smiley
IP Logged
malcolm

1998 2.3 ULTIMA ESTATE

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Oct 16th, 2020, 10:49am »

very sad to hear but at least the Scorpio lives on the best car that was ever made in my opinion way ahead of the times lost my last one a few years ago but still look in all the very best to all Scorpio owners and may they live on forever.Malcolm
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 20th, 2020, 8:30pm »

Just had a little nosey on the old site Mike,last time we spoke you cast doubt over the old car and now it has happened Cry,but good to see that
it is to be resurrected,the bloke obviously has good taste and vision  Grin.
All the best to you and 'the happy wanderer', keep looking after the site.
GOZZ.
IP Logged
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Nov 23rd, 2020, 11:44am »

Well, just to cheer everyone up, I hope.
Having had to give up with "The Beast." which is parked on my drive as a donor for Ruby, i was on the point of giving up with Ruby:  Severe terminal rust, driving problems (electrical), gearbox issues,  I started to look about for a replacement auto only to find that there is nothing that took my fancy at all. They all look the same, kicked up the arse beetles full of chat and all sorts of gimmicky rubbish and the comfort of Boudica's Chariot and about the same performance!!  So we decided to spend a lot o money on getting the rust sorted, about £1500.00. and I had the electrics sorted as well.  All done here in Wales by people recommended to me by farmers, the ones I know are small independent farmers who really rely on good infrastructure (industrial) in order to keep their farms viable.
Ruby is driving like a dream, as good as ever, the autobox is silky smooth, loads of Cosworth power yet she will dribble along in the worst of stop start traffic as happy as Larry.  What a car!!  Start her up and move off and instantly you are aware by the feel of the throttle that this is something different.
Yes, I am predjuiced.  But it is born out of quite a few years of ownership.

Happy days

Mike   Kiss
IP Logged
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Nov 23rd, 2020, 11:45am »

Well, just to cheer everyone up, I hope.
Having had to give up with "The Beast." which is parked on my drive as a donor for Ruby, i was on the point of giving up with Ruby:  Severe terminal rust, driving problems (electrical), gearbox issues,  I started to look about for a replacement auto only to find that there is nothing that took my fancy at all. They all look the same, kicked up the arse beetles full of chat and all sorts of gimmicky rubbish and the comfort of Boudica's Chariot and about the same performance!!  So we decided to spend a lot o money on getting the rust sorted, about £1500.00. and I had the electrics sorted as well.  All done here in Wales by people recommended to me by farmers, the ones I know are small independent farmers who really rely on good infrastructure (industrial) in order to keep their farms viable.
Ruby is driving like a dream, as good as ever, the autobox is silky smooth, loads of Cosworth power yet she will dribble along in the worst of stop start traffic as happy as Larry.  What a car!!  Start her up and move off and instantly you are aware by the feel of the throttle that this is something different.
Yes, I am predjuiced.  But it is born out of quite a few years of ownership.

Happy days

Mike   Kiss
IP Logged
Tenfut

White Cosworth Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Nov 23rd, 2020, 12:49pm »

What were the symptoms of your autobox problem and how was it sorted? New / remanufactured loom?

Tony
IP Logged

Everything in moderation!!
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Nov 23rd, 2020, 5:17pm »

Hi Tony.
On the autobox I had many issues really:  Sluggish gearchanges, late gearchanges. She didn't always want to engage reverse I could not get Cosworth power, she would try on kickdown, hesitate and then steadily pick up speed.  She would cruise happily at seventyish but ask for much more and she did not really want to know.  Whilst I could engage "Snow" on the gearstick I could not engage "Sport." O yes, and sometimes the overdrive light would light up, i got past this by depressing the OD button a few times.

Eventually she would not start up at all.  i got her taken into my local garage by the RAC. and asked Josh to have a look.  At that point I was ready to scrap her. Anyway Josh had her for a day or two then he phoned to say all done and ready to be picked up.  He  had "sorted" the wiring around and about, that's the best way I can explain it as I cannot remember the specifics as it was about 18months ago.

Well, there was Ruby parked in one of the side bays, and purring beautifully. Josh got in to drive her out, he whacked the throttle. Ruby shot off like a scalded cat and nearly shot into the main road.  I laughed me socks off (quietly), but made no comment.  Since then Ruby had become as described above: There was an immediate improvement.  It took some time for everything to settle down properly, weeks really. but always just that bit better.  I kept changing the gear options and soonish she was/is operating in all gear positions....perfectly.

i hope this helps

Mike  

IP Logged
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Nov 23rd, 2020, 8:14pm »

"he whacked the throttle. Ruby shot off like a scalded cat "...

And this is from a car that weighs a ton and a half, obviously you like playing with the traffic, as I must confess I do, only now is my grey cos estate finally getting up to real power, having twice been bought for the engine and stored for 10+yyears in between.

Problem as I see it is people like to "build" a fast car, by nicking our engines (still is only 1 engine for a scorp thats a v6 preferably the cossie) to put in their rubbish motors, much better left where it was so we can play wolf in sheeps clothing, particularly if like mine its got a few dents and some bad paint...still learning to go like a scalded cat though.... even with its new no advisories MOT.Smiley Smiley Wink

Stay safe now you're out and about soon remember all the dash lights do work - just not in the right order (if its been laid up)
IP Logged

Cosworth Scorpio only 46 on the road now NOW down to 42.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.