Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 2:33am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Electrical : battery, alternator-Scorpio Diesel 95 »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Electrical : battery, alternator-Scorpio Diesel 95
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Electrical : battery, alternator-Scorpio Diesel 95  (Read 523 times)
pustagris

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

Electrical : battery, alternator-Scorpio Diesel 95
« on: Oct 30th, 2004, 2:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi folks,
A month ago I  bought a Scorpio Diesel 1995 (139000km) in Germany.
I drove the "new" car from Germany to France, where I live.  
In total the journey was about 1400 km. No problems at all.
But two days after my arrival in France, the car did not start.-No power in the battery-in fact, it was down at 4,7 Volts.  
So I decided to buy a new battery, which after one night was empty as well.
So I started to look around in the car and discovered that the control light (red battery symbol on instrument panel did not light up, when I tried to start-of course I had recharged the battery. So I looked at the two connections at the alternator and cleaned them before refitting. Result: The control light came on and turned itself off when I started the engine. Fine, I thougt and let the car for 3 days untouched -and it started nicely, when I tried it. But I had the impression that the starter motor turned somewhat slowly. When  i drove to the local tobacconist and than tried to start I heard the rattle of a relay, but the starter motor did not come on. A nice person helped me to start the engin by means of his car. (cables)
At home I charged the battery once more and it showed about 12.9 V when it was charged.
So I started the engin again and took a reading on the poles of the battery:
12,32 V. I asked my wife to power up the engin to about 2000 rev. and the Voltmeter showed an increase to about 12, 5 Volts. To little!
Result: the alternator is not charging the battery, altough the control light is not shining, when the motor is running.  It seems that the alternator is discharging the battery. (see my trip to the tobacconist)

Next, I disconnected the two cables from the alternator.

I started readings with my Volt/Ampere meter. I measured between the - pole and the chassis.  
When the measuring process started, the ampermeter showed for 3-4 sec. a value of O,4 A and was finally establishing a value of 0,03 A.  

(all mesurments start with this strange 0,4 A during the first 2-3 sec. before stabilizing at 0.03 A)

Next I took sucessively all fuses out  and measered in between to see a change. No value change on any fuse, but with the fuse nr. 22 (main fuse box -door locking) the value droppod to 0.02. BTW the door locking mechanism was not activated.  And as far as I can see -the door locking mechanism works fine.

At last I took a reading with the alternator refitted. All fuses in place. Result 0.05 A.

Summary: A fault in the altenator, but how to explain that 0.03 A are discharging the battery even when the altenator is not connected.

Every hint is appreciated.

Volker Greulich
P.S. Why exist beside this forum on fordscorpio.co.uk a seperate mail list?
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: Electrical : battery, alternator-Scorpio Diese
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30th, 2004, 2:56pm »

Hi Volker.. I presume you eventually got my emails... with regards your paint colour... Its AURALIS BLUE.... in case you didn't.

There are two TSB relating to the 2.5.tdi battery discharging at low revs and it requires the fitment of a bigger alternator...  

TSB 21/1997

TSB 01/1996  
also refers and may relate to your problems

the power drain is probably due to the power save function requiring current when everything is switched off.. It monitors the whole system.... Could even be the PATS.... Which is on a seperate circuit.

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
pustagris

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 30th, 2004, 3:32pm »

>Hi Volker.. I presume you eventually got my emails... with regards >your paint colour... Its AURALIS BLUE.... in case you didn't.

Hello Snoopy,

thanks for your help...with the auralis blue.I got your answer by e-mail. I dont understand why the "f" from free was missing.
I will order the paint retouche set from  fordparts Uk.  

>There are two TSB relating to the 2.5.tdi battery discharging at >low revs and it requires the fitment of a bigger alternator...  

>TSB 21/1997

>TSB 01/1996  
>also refers and may relate to your problems

Excuse a stupid question: What is TSB  and where to find this valuable messages?

>the power drain is probably due to the power save function >requiring current when everything is switched off.. It monitors >the whole system.... Could even be the PATS.... Which is on a >seperate circuit.

My next stupid question: Is my Scorpio TDI  95 at all equipped with anti theft? I doubt it. I wonder what kind of equippment this version of the Scorpio has.  
Thank you very much.
regards
Volker (pustagris)

IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 30th, 2004, 10:39pm »

Tsb 21 is here http://www.bigesmalls.freeserve.co.uk/TSB97021.pdf

the other here http://www.bigesmalls.freeserve.co.uk/TSB96001.pdf

All models of the scorpio came fitted with the standard PATS system as standard so I don not see why yours should be any different.....

Have a read of this for the specification  
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/specifications.htm
IP Logged

pustagris

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 1st, 2004, 12:58pm »

Thanks , Snoopy.

your URL's to bigesmalls were very interesting, but my car does not have climatisation.

I think  the alternator in my car has gone, but I would like to know , if the discharging of the battery (alternator disconnected) by 0.03 Amps is tolerable or normal for a Scorpio with all fonctions "in rest" beside the clock. As I wrote earlier when I remove fuse Nr.22 (door locking) the ampere consumption lowers to 0.02. But on http://fordscorpio.co.uk/electsystemtest.htm it says "if the curent flowing is over 80mA a problem exists with a discharge fault someplace in the electrical system"
What is normal?

Tanks
Volker Greulich  

IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 1st, 2004, 8:23pm »

Suggest you get your alternator checked withan auto electrician.. It could well be the cause of ALL your problems
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.